• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Ozarks

Sons of Issachar

Real Person
Male
Anyone else around the Ozarks?

No, but I'm kinda thinking about moving that way. To me, it seems like one of the best areas in the country, if you are a homesteader, gardener, self sufficiency minded, liberty loving, Bible believer.

Rural property there is far more reasonably priced than most areas (I know it is going up quickly, but it is everywhere else also). There is enough rainfall to grow almost anything. There are also other good water sources (springs, lakes, creeks, etc.). There are pastures for livestock and woodlands for building materials and firewood. Besides all that, the people of the region are typically more down to earth, practical, freedom loving, family focused, and God fearing than in most regions. It seems like the place to be.

Got to say, I visited Missouri last year, meeting a potential couple, and I loved it up there and this was in the middle of August too. Being in Georgia, it is too hot to be out for no more than a few hours at a time but up there, I was helping with their sheep herd, putting up fencing, picnicking and it was just perfect. This was more in the northern part but I highly suggest it.

Welcome, @USDutchkitty . Could you post an introduction thread?

Ooop... nevermind. Guess you've been more a reader than poster... don't be a stranger... lol

Last edited:
Welcome, @USDutchkitty . Could you post an introduction thread?

Ooop... nevermind. Guess you've been more a reader than poster... don't be a stranger... lol

I want to but I am used to my introductions being more... advertising myself versus wanting to be part of a discussion so I have to adjust what to put in my introduction.

We are an hour north of Springfield.
Do you have any recommendations regarding different.portions of the Southern Missouri Ozarks? I've been thinking about doing a visit to the area and looking at property. From a distance, I think I like East of Springfield (like Texas county). It seems a little more remote. I've also thought about the areas West (around Cassville) and North (around Stockton) of Springfield. They seem a little better for farming, and probably job prospects.

I've spent time around NW AR Springdale, Rogers,.etc. and think Missouri seems preferable.

Anyway I would appreciate any insights.

Do you have any recommendations regarding different.portions of the Southern Missouri Ozarks? I've been thinking about doing a visit to the area and looking at property. From a distance, I think I like East of Springfield (like Texas county). It seems a little more remote. I've also thought about the areas West (around Cassville) and North (around Stockton) of Springfield. They seem a little better for farming, and probably job prospects.

I've spent time around NW AR Springdale, Rogers,.etc. and think Missouri seems preferable.

Oh, where I was in Missouri last year, in the Kirksville area, very hilly in places but a great farming area for crops and livestock!

Everyone I met around here agrees that MO is a better choice than AR if you want land freedom.

Oh, where I was in Missouri last year, in the Kirksville area, very hilly in places but a great farming area for crops and livestock!
Thanks USDutchkitty,
I think Northern Missouri (like where you went) also has some advantages. My understanding is that it tends to be great "Midwestern farmland" like Iowa.and Illinois (mainly Corn and soybean country), large scale commercial farming. I'd probably have decent career opportunities there.

Still, I'm more interested in smaller scale "homesteading agriculture" myself. The Ozarks region of Southern MO seems better for that. Also, it seems like the culture there is more "Southern" than "Midwestern". Both Midwestern and Southern culture are pretty good, but I think I like Southern better (though I'm from the West myself). I also think Northern MO might be a bit colder than I like.
:)

Everyone I met around here agrees that MO is a better choice than AR if you want land freedom.
Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the "land freedom", are you talking about more freedom from regulation/less bureaucracy? Or did you mean that the land is better for growing stuff, and grazing livestock.

Both are good. I want both.

I get the impression that much of the Arkansas Ozarks has poor, thin, rocky soils, and is also steeply sloped. It is beautiful country, but not optimal for homesteading.

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the "land freedom", are you talking about more freedom from regulation/less bureaucracy? Or did you mean that the land is better for growing stuff, and grazing livestock.

Both are good. I want both.

I get the impression that much of the Arkansas Ozarks has poor, thin, rocky soils, and is also steeply sloped. It is beautiful country, but not optimal for homesteading.
I meant legal freedom. But, yes, the Arkansas land is pretty rocky.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

We live in Dallas County, Stockton is nice, I am not familiar with Cassville, but we lived in Purdy for about 9m.

As long as the property is good to has a great internet connection, I don't mind homesteading at all. LOL

If you want out in the country, expect so so internet, it is supposed to get better sooner or later here.

If you want out in the country, expect so so internet, it is supposed to get better sooner or later here.

Oh I have seen. I have family living in Mississippi and slowly fast speed internet is going out to the more rural area in the Northeast area. I mean, my Grandma has never had internet access in her home EVER. Not even dial-up.

The line of small cities along the highway in NW Arkansas has AT&T Fiber Internet.

Back