• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Patriarch and leadership

bmg

I was just kind of curious how many of you guys would see that being the patriarch of the family is more important than any other aspect of the family. That spiritual leadership in a plural relationship is more important than sex.

I see an enormous need for women with children who are looking for the safety and security that can only be provided by a man who is Christ centered patriarch of his family. As I understand patriarch-ical leadership it is my job to pray over my family, protect my family, provide for my family, and love them the way Christ loves the church and is willing to die to that family. Would you open your hearts and doors to your homes to the widowed, divorced, and single mothers to love them and care for them as if they were your own second, or more wives; without getting married to them, nor indulging in any physical intimacy?

Obviously before your mate became your wife she was first your sister in the Lord, (as these women are today, they are my sisters) then she became your wife and you produced offspring from that union of that love. If you opened your doors to widowed, divorced, and single mothers with children recognizing that she would be your sister in the Lord, adopting the children as your own, and raising them in the admiration and knowledge of our Savior Jesus. Would that be nobler and more pleasing to our Lord?

ybic,
BigMike

Women need husbands who will marry them. I don't think it's very realistic for a woman in need of a husband to come under the covering of a man and not become his wife. Perhaps this could be helpful in the short term and to a limited extent, but, as Paul said, "It is better to marry than to burn."

I do not see any problem with helping a single lady. But I agree that having a single lady in the home for a length of time without being a wife could get complicated. Another question to ask oneself is if this motive would still stand if you know this single lady in need does not attract you in any way.

Would I pray for and help single sisters in the body of Christ although I was not married to them or planning to? Of course. I did that all the time before studying about PM and have seen no reason to quit.

Would I place a barrier to marrying them, and commit to not doing so? In particular, would I see doing so as being somehow more noble and pleasing to the Lord?

Absolutely not. You are kidding, right?

This question starts with the presupposition that sex is somehow a lesser thing, and primarily for us men's benefit, and God allows but isn't too pleased if we up and "shudder" MARRY more than one of His daughters and "indulge" in physical intimacy -- let alone loud wild swinging-from-the-chandeliers jungle sex! *sound of trumpeting elephants and screaming gorillas*

I disagree with the premise. BELONGING is a powerful need for all of us. God, IMO, intends for His daughters to BELONG in a relationship, with a man who is committed to her for life, and who will provide for her needs. To put a point on it, Ps 68:6, I think, says "God puts the solitary into families..."

Those NEEDS are not just ethereal, spiritual, holy sounding needs, or God could have made us all spirits without corporeal bodies to begin with.

Instead he made us complete beings. Yes, we do have spiritual needs. But we also have needs for food, clothing, shelter. Those are all ok, right? God isn't dishonored when we provide those?

We also have needs to be hugged, kissed, told we are attractive. We need to express opinions and have them listened to respectully whether they are agreed with or not. We need to share experiences. None of those are problematic, right?

We need this sense of belonging, the "these are my peeps" thing. "When I'm with this group, I can let my hair down and be myself, warts and all. If I'm lost, they'll come to find me. If I'm broke or hurt, they'll take me in and care for me. I never need worry about my acceptance HERE. I BELONG." We all accept this don't we?

In fact, it is why God takes up a considerable portion of Scripture describing His and our relationship in FAMILY terms. NOT simply that of good friends, or congenial acquaintances. Not even that of servants who might delude themselves into thinking they belong, but know somewhere inside that they COULD be cast off or dismissed. Family. Brothers. Sisters. Father. Joint Heirs. Husband.

IT IS ALL ABOUT BELONGING.

Man, if a fella really thinks that MARRYING a second wife is primarily about getting his rocks off, then please, do the women a favor and DON'T! Go rent it somewhere for an hour, and on your way out the door, along with the comparatively small payment due (compared to marriage), leave a writ of divorce to salve your conscience and amuse the pro. SHE doesn't belong, didn't expect to, and probably doesn't want to so far as you are concerned.

But God's daughters, those whom you see around you and find yourself called to help and pray over and get involved with their kids? Yup. They need to belong. So do their kids. You need to not just be Mr Jim, or Uncle Bob, or Mr Smith, but Dad, Pops, or whatever. That may take a while, but it IS what they need.

My step-son called me "Pops" last night for the first time. He's been in my home for over 3 years. It took that long -- the concept of and emotions tied to the idea of "Dad" and "Father" were so badly damaged by the one who had the right to the titles. His older sister calls me "Ya-ya", and announces that she's my daughter to all and sundry. She can't use the normal terms either. Their younger brother calls me "Fatty". That's a big step up from what he has said in the past. No matter how long it takes, or what resistance you may meet, they need to know they BELONG most of all, and the first step to accomplishing that is marrying and honoring their ma.

Oh, that's right. We did talk about all those things. Various needs which it was right to provide, were noble, and honored God just fine.

So the only question remaining is whether God gave women this fantastic capacity to experience and give pleasure, to be multi-orgasmic to the point that the man providing them feels like rearing back, roaring, and beating his magnificent hairy muscular chest (describes us all, right? :lol: ), just to frustrate her? Never to have it used? To stifle it, shove it down, wonder why the other women were free to experience all that good loving stuff, but she wasn't? What had she done wrong to be disqualified? Oh, and btw, no matter HOW much her best friends told her she belonged, did she REALLY? Yeah, he was acting as dad to her kids NOW, but what of tomorrow, or when they reached their rebellious teenaged years? And she could use a real knee-collapsing kiss herself about now, but where is she to get one? That's lie-awake-at-night-crying stuff.

I'm trying to figure out just HOW God would be better honored by that? Especially when it could be solved by one simple step -- marry the sweetheart.

If I sound just a wee bit passionate about this issue and this question, I am. I have run into this queston before. To be specific, it came from my first wife, who had no problem at all with bringing other women into our family for extended periods of time. Had no problem at all with helping them extensively. No problem at all with me being a husband to them in every imaginable way, as well as father to their children, so long as it didn't include THAT ONE. To the contrary, she seemed to revel in a sort of attitude the said without words, "I got him. You want him. You can't have him. He's MINE! Na-na-na-NA-na!"

It sucked eggs. Bigtime. And tainted everything else. The ladies DIDN'T belong, knew it, and eventually wandered off in search of a place where they COULD BELONG.

When I took up studying PM, this lady was quick to tell me that all else in our wedding vows held no meaning whatsoever in comparison to one word of four letters. I bet you think that word should be "LOVE", right? Oops. It was te word "ONLY". That's it!

She wanted to belong and ensure that the others didn't. THAT is the origin, at some level, of that particular query -- Can't you just love them, and pray for them, and be a father to their children in the Lord without, *shudder* MARRYING them? Wouldn't that be more *lifting nose just slightly* PLEASING to the LORD?

No, I don't think it would. So no, I can't. The offer is there, whether a given sister feels this is the family to which she wants to belong or not.

(Quoting Luther) Here I stand. I can do no other. So help me God.

bigmike said:
I was just kind of curious how many of you guys would see that ... spiritual leadership in a plural relationship is more important than sex.

Having lost it and poured out my heart a moment ago, *sigh* I went back and re-read your original post.

IMO, it actually started out with one question then morphed into another, which is what I answered.

THIS question is just a bit different. In answer, ...

Which is more important in pancakes? Flour? Eggs? Salt? Leavening? Oil?

It's a moot question. ALL are necessary. Without any of them, whatever you've got is something different.

Same in a marriage.

Why would we WANT to say this or that element is less important? So we could decide if we could get away with discarding it? Why would we want to do that? Are we aiming for the lowest common denominator, for the least we can do and still claim complaince?

If, as you asked at the end, nobility and pleasing the Lord are our aims, does the lowest common denominator qualify? Or does going the second mile with a whole heart qualify just a bit better?

I can't answer this question with an "OR", but only with an "AND".

Cecil

Powerfully and passionately put!! I sense from Mike’s question though is where is the focus on a man’s desire in all this. As you put it so eloquently, it is all part of the whole! Motive and intend in the heart of a man should tell him something. It is not a bad idea to step back and ask what is focus of this desire within me. I think the same question should be asked by all men, as well as women, before entering into any marriage, monogamous or other (PM). If it is in what you think you can get out of it, you are the very person who should NOT get married, at least until you mature to see what agape love is.

It is possible that a woman, under the constraints of 1 Corinthians 7:10-11, could be in such a place, in need of covering. In that situation such a family could provide for her, and if present, her children’s needs. But your point is well taken that apart from God’s absolute boundary such covering would at some point have the ability to frustrate, divide, harbor resentment, or create a situation to fall.

If on the other hand Mike’s question is about the organic transition of such a woman into the family, as a sister in need, who God merges in a godly and biblical friendship between the women, and the family as a whole, then his point is well taken. BUT, the likelihood is that as Cecil points out there are other issues at hand and should be addressed and prayed over by all parties.

Let us all examine our hearts and be honest with one another, than with clarity of purpose go forth as men (see 1 Corinthians 16:13) and be the example of husbands, regardless of the number of wives, as God has called us to be.

Ray

Agreed, Ray. My problem is NOT with helping sisters in need and/or their children, without expectng anything in return. I do it all the time.

I do have a big problem with men trying to get into PM 'cause they're unhappy in their present relationship. That's like having a kid to save the marriage. Wrong reasons. Doesn't work. Don't DO dat. Hurts everyone! Fix your own marriage if possible, then reconsider.

But I also have a very big problem with the idea that actually marrying, or at least being intimate, is somehow a lesser, but reluctantly permitted option. That is the philosophical origin of the "marry them in every way but sex" ideology.

It also means that God loves men more than women, as there is a woman for every man, but not a man for every woman if they are not to be actually married.

I, along with probably every man on this site, resists vehemently that idea, once it is set in those terms. Our Father cares for His daughters far more than we men care for our own; and even we, evil men that we are, care for our daughters AT LEAST as much as for our sons, if somewhat differently at times.

Not sure why I'm so all fired up about this this morning. It probably has something to do with this older stepson calling me Pops after three years, and the younger one confiding in his mom just recently, "Don't tell Cecil I said so, but he's not so bad." Add the older daughter being disowned by her own dad and calling me YaYa, and the younger daughter, who won't talk much but wants to wear my shirts all the time. And the pain of loneliness I hear during prayer meetings at church... Dunno, but I seem to be on a tear. Thanks for putting up with me.

Cecil,

Point well presented, (barring a few words) but I agree with you 100%. People need to get over the fear of plural marriage. Anything but fear of God is not of faith and a sin by definition. PM must not be qualified in any way. It must be open and full, just as any monogamous marriage should be. Helping widows, single mothers, orphans, etc. in the Lord is part of our calling. It is part of true, pure, undefiled religion, (James 1:27). We also do these things. However, it really has no place in plural marriage discussions, since it is something quite different. No offense please, but I have to agree that this type of thinking often veils hidden issues that need to be dealt with by the power and Word of God.

Be blessed,

Ray

Well said, Cecil. I've been out of touch for a few days, but when I saw this topic it was good to see that you had already responded so appropriately.

I would add only this.

So much of the Gnostic/ascetic "sex is sin", "the flesh is evil" mentality still somehow seems to pervade our God-rejecting, Word-hating mentality.

I can't help but notice that the same culture that decries sex as evil somehow manages to debase it just like it does our "money" - there's so much out there that it becomes cheap, worthless, and ultimately meaningless. God and His Word intend that it be just the opposite, of course. The relationship between sex and marriage, and His use of that metaphor to describe His relationship with us, is obscured (should I say "occulted"?) when we allow the world to "add to" OR "subtract from" His perfect plan.

The great irony is that Satan's Big Lie manages to get people off of the "narrow path" either way -- by making the God-given relationship between man and woman in Covenant marriage either dirty and optional, or just common as dirt. The Truth is always a blessing.

Blessings in Him,

Mark

I never said sex was evil.

I was merely trying to point out that as the world is watching us, on this blog site, which we may want to put the principles of Patriarch (Leadership) before personal gratification. Not all women under our charge should be seen as an object of sexual desire. Even if that means abstaining in order to place her spiritual needs above your misconceptions.

I have been married to same woman for 20 years, and our intimacy seems to only getter better with time. However, there are more issues than just polygamy when dealing with a “Biblical Family”. Being a Patriarch has more to deal with than just how many wives you have, or who sleeps with who and when.

What I am trying to get across is that God has said who we can and can not marry. When it comes to divorced women; that is a very touchy subject, one in which we should tread lightly, for fear that we may sin against Him and bring a reproach against His Word. None-the-less, these women are in need of spiritual guidance as well as those who we are free to marry.

Respectfully,
ybic,
BigMike

I never said sex was evil.

I was merely trying to point out that as the world is watching us, on this blog site, which we may want to put the principles of Patriarch (Leadership) before personal gratification.

Neither did any of us say that it was about personal gratification. But it is that type of assumption which must be rejected. And it is exactly such confusion which must be addressed with the specifics of Scripture.

Divorce is another subject entirely, and has been the subject of much discussion, and even disagreement, here on BF. I would only point out here that ANY woman who remains under the headship of a husband should look to him for covering. There are clear lines of spiritual authority in the Word. But a woman who has been put away and lawfully divorced by her husband, or has been widowed, is free to remarry.

This nation has moved SO far from a Biblical mindset, and "having itching ears" heaped to itself pastors who "teach as doctrine" the traditions of men, that it is important that all of our assumptions about what is True must be tested against His Word -- as the Bereans did.

I have found that the format of our Savior's repeated terminology in the sermon on the mount is very instructive in this regard, Big Mike:

"You have heard it said...
...but I tell you..." ...what He REALLY said!

That is why He Wrote it down for us, and taught as the Word Made Flesh.

Remember that some things (including, incidentally, "forbidding to marry") were called "doctrines of demons".

One of the most difficult things about understanding what He really Wrote about marriage is learning to test our cultural assumptions, and "study for ourselves" to "see if these things be true".

It is not always easy. But He promises a blessing for obedience, and gives wisdom to those who ask.

Blessings in Him,

Mark

Mike,

I believe that I understand where you are coming from and appreciate the thoughts. We ARE being 'watched' by the world and DO need to be careful how we tread in this area. I apologize if I seemed too harsh with my words. My intent was not to offend. However, if I offended you or hurt you in any way, I repent. I do tend to be too direct at times. I am trying by the grace of God to get better.

I do not have same passion for this subject as Cecil or Mark, (and no doubt many others) but I do see the issue as being a problem and would like to see it dealt with appropriately. I do not know what the answer is except, to expose the problem and call it what it is. Many Christians (and most people in general) fall into the trap of believing that a compromise on an issue is better than dealing with it outright. I believe that this is the reason that this issue brought forth such a strong response from us. We all make that mistake in different areas at some time or another. One of the things that God is dealing with me about is NOT to compromise when it comes to His Word and His ways. Therefore, I will have to stand by my belief in this area, but I am certain there are different ways of dealing with the problem for each case.

In my case, my wife is a prophet and she heard directly from God several years ago that PM is of Him and in the plan for the end-time church. He is having our ministry work in this area. However, she has yet to come to terms with the whole thing, though she and God are working on it. I am just waiting and praying for her change of heart. I do see slow, but steady progress from her though. We have helped many women through our ministry along the way and have seen several opportunities where some of these women would have been good candidates to join our family. However, to date none have ‘seen’ things the same way. It is painful for us to develop close relationships with these people and help them in so many ways, only to have them turn on us and persecute us when they decide that they would rather continue to have things their way. Therefore, my advice is that when people help these women that they maintain a safe emotional distance from them until they have proven themselves faithful to God’s Word and ways, because most of them have their own ideas of how things should be and few will really want the deeper things of God.

Creating a ‘patriarchal-like’ covering for women who have no intention of really obeying God is a trap that the enemy uses to bring discouragement to God’s faithful. I have seen it in our case time and time again. We are called to be wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove. All too often when God finally gets our full attention and softens our hard, unbelieving hearts we are so open to wanting to help people that we forget about the being wise as the enemy warning in that scripture. I would encourage God’s faithful people to pray for wisdom and discernment in this area and tread carefully. The enemy has many weapons at his disposal for use against us with women who have made all too many wrong decisions in their lives to get themselves into their predicaments, without really learning from the resultant suffering and allowing God to change their hearts. This is a set-up for disaster for the unsuspecting, faithful, loving ‘patriarch’ who just wants to help these women (and in many cases their children) when in fact the women really do not think that they are in any in error, but just ‘victims of their circumstances’. They have not really learned their lesson and will continue to walk in error, falsely believing that they are right. This is when we must be extremely careful about charging in on a white horse and rescuing the ‘damsel in distress’. It may well be that by ‘rescuing’ her we will be aiding and abetting in her crimes. It is like giving money to a drunk on the street. If God tells you to do so then do it, but do not expect that that person is going to go and buy food with that money. I may be better to give the drunken person on the street food rather than money, since they have proven with their situation that they cannot properly manage the money.

In the same regard, taking in a single woman/mother, catering to her and/or her children may seem like the thing to do, but if they have not been truly ‘broken’ by her/their misery, then she/they may not respond to the kindness of the faithful servant of God and will continue living with the same skewed line of thinking that got her/them into trouble in the first place. Clearly this is not always the case, but it is many times the case and more often than not in my experience. My advice to the faithful, loving men of God is to pray and follow God’s lead in these situations and tread carefully. As you have correctly stated, let God be the one to lead the relationship. It may or may not work out, but if one maintains a safe emotional distance until the person proves over the long term that they will obey and be faithful to God and His Word, then the helper(s) will be less likely to suffer as much pain if/when the disobedient lady ups and leaves when things no longer suit her. Unless I hear a clear word from God on any one person, I follow this approach anymore. It keeps to a minimum the emotional distress and disappointment that comes when we pour out our hearts and resources into the lives of others only to have it turned upside down on us and even used against us in the long run.

There are far too many swine parading themselves as Christians. They come in all sizes, shapes, colors and from many backgrounds. Many of them are single women and mothers. God is the only one who knows the hearts of these people and we are NOT called to lay down our lives for the truly unrepentant and persistently disobedient, selfish ones who have not yet learned from their suffering. We ARE only called to lay down our lives and resources for the OBEDIENT Christians and treat the rest with respect. Bailing out the stubbornly unrepentant ones will only lead to us sharing in their misery. It will only help them in their disobedience in the long run. We are called to SEPARATE ourselves from these people...

John 15:12-14 - (NKJV)

12“This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13“Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. 14“You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.

I Corinthians 5:9-13 -

9I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person. 12For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.”

This is my warning for any men who have a heart to help single women and mothers. My advice is that if God sends them into your path, then put out the offer to help. If they come to Bible study and you see that they are moving in the right direction, then by all means if God is encouraging you to do so, open your house and pocket book to them. However, be up front with the fact that you expect them to honor and obey the Word of God. If they cannot make a commitment to that, then let them know in no uncertain terms that you will NOT be able to help them in the long run and that they should seek to find help elsewhere.

I do not dance around when it comes to the Word of God. If they are truly broken by their circumstances and ‘tired of being tired’, then they will respond to your help with humility, love and appreciation. If they have not suffered enough, then it will become clear soon enough by their words and actions. Occasionally one of these women may be a true deceiver and it will be hard to ‘ferret’ that one out. But even with these it will become clear in time that they are a ‘Judas’. It is like digging for gold. There are true broken women out there who will make faithful, respectful, Godly obedient wives, but there are many others who have terrible circumstances who have not yet come to the end of themselves. Helping them will ultimately be of no real value to anyone. God is the ultimate judge of these cases. My prayer is that He brings into our lives only the obedient or potentially obedient ones. To date, I have not found one. I know that they are out there, so I keep digging. Eventually we will find those who have true gold potential. Until then, we remain monogamous.

Again, I hope that you understand that we here on this site love God too and that we only want what God wants for us. We are passionate about it and sometimes get over zealous in our responses to the posts of others, but it is only because we are trying desperately in our own individual ways to do the right thing. We are all here to learn from one another and hope you will stay and let us learn from the gifts that God has put into you.

Be blessed.

In Christ’s love,

Ray

Great Posts, both Ray and Mark. Thanks.

And BigMike, I understand that your heart is to glorify God. I also THINK that you think it would be better to spiritualize all this, and keep it religious, rather than dealing with the practical aspects of real married, or PMed life, or admitting to enjoying the sexual. Is that right or wrong? Or maybe your intent was to suggest that we put some of those topics else where so that they don't seem like the focus to new seekers, an idea with which I would have to agree.

If the latter, then I have badly over-reacted, and apologize. I also need to not stick my foot further in my mouth, so am removing the rest of this post for now ...

Men I don't mean to have any of you think I'd passing judgement on any of you. By know you know I am not into PM ,but I understand your thoughts on the subject
The one nagging question I must ask in a retorical manner if needs be, Why are some men searching for the next wife? souldn't there be plenty like minded women ready and willing to come into a PM ? From what I have read here most of you share the same basic Biblical ideas., surely there are others.

The one nagging question I must ask in a retorical manner if needs be, Why are some men searching for the next wife? [Sh]ouldn't there be plenty [of] like minded women ready and willing to come into a PM ?

I'm honestly not sure if I understand the question, Bob -- rhetorical or not.

Why are some men searching for ANY wife? Many are happy as bachelors; the apostle Paul even seemed to think it would be better if more men were as he was. (That would of course 'unbalance the equation' -- and leave more single women, were there more men who took him seriously. :) )

On a more cynical note -- given our current Bible-rejecting society -- it seems that there are "plenty" of women (dare I say the vast majority - particurly if TV is to be believed) who aren't willing to come into ANY truly Covenant relationship. And they seem to find a ready supply of men, not necessarily of a patriarchal mindset, mind you, but nevertheless willing to enter into a continual stream of "hook-ups". These are obviously fine with "society" - so long as the cheap sex is one-at-a-time, but one after the other. In other words, Monogamy remains the idol to be worshiped, even when it is practiced as "serial polygamy" without elements of covering or commitment; lip service, in other words. The crime, evidently, is to ADMIT to the goal of loving and honoring MORE than one wife simultaneously.

Or is it that the crime is admitting that we try to actually walk in obedience to the Bible? Sometimes it's hard to know what upsets the popular culture more... ;)

Perhaps some of us seem to come across as "passionate" on this and very-much-related topics because we have concluded -- well, I certainly have -- that the real issue is rebellion. Our society simply hates God, and, in particular, the idea that "the Law [torah] of the Lord is perfect". That 'skews the math' for both men and women in these challenging times!

To paraphrase Solomon, such wives are indeed more precious than rubies.

So - I'm not utterly sure of the context of your question. Much has been written here in earlier threads about the feminist worldview, which I believe to be rooted in a pervasive pagan mindset (see JW Stiver's Eros Made Sacred, or, to a more subtle extent, Tom Shipley's Man and Woman in Biblical Law).

Given the world we live in, it is no wonder that Proverbs correctly notes that, "he who finds a wife finds a good thing." Isaiah 4:1 (and Jeremiah 16:19!) seems to imply that a time will come when more women will realize the depth of the deception.

Blessings,

Mark

Kudos Mark. Well said. I totally agree.

Bob,

I would add that I for one, (and I would gather from most of my time on this site that many others here would echo this) want the will of God for my life and the lives of my family and loved ones. It has been made clear to me from the Holy Spirit that this includes PM. Period! So I am pursuing it because God told me to and love Him and want to obey Him.

It is not that I am searching for another or other wives for my own satisfaction; Lord knows that one is enough in these difficult times! Just as anything that God has told me to do, PM is difficult. However, I believe that if you will ask those who have truly achieved a Godly balance in the practice of PM, they will tell you that it is a great thing and would have it no other way, (husbands, wives and children). In that sense, I am excited to share the love of God that is in me with as many people as I can both in and outside of my marriage. If God sees fit that I am fully prepared to have more wives, then I am prepared in my heart to try to fulfill the destiny that He has called me to fulfill. It is only through finishing the work that God sent us here to do that we bring glory to Him, (John 17:4 and my teaching, ‘How Do We Glorify God?’). God has shown me that this glorification of Him includes PM, as He directs and not ‘my way’.

PM is part of the fulfillment of Isaiah 4 and is REQUIRED to be enacted by the body of Christ BEFORE Jesus can come back. God has shown me that those who support the concept are for Him and His plan and those who oppose it are against Him. It is as simple as that. Scripture MUST be fulfilled.

The reason that the enemy works so hard against PM is that he knows this and because when it comes to fruition in reality in the body of Christ, it means that his time is very short. He does not want to end up in the bottomless pit for a thousand years and then eventually in the lake of fire. Therefore, he works very hard to stop this thing by corrupting marriage in general, perverting sex and love and tainting the minds of foolish people all over the world who do not know the Word or ways of God.

People who have the revelation from God that PM is for the modern church have heard from the heart of God what it is that He busy doing in and through His people to fulfill the scripture. Whether or not they know it, people who support Biblical PM are the ones who are really working to bring Jesus back! People who stand against Biblical PM are actually operating in the antichrist spirit and resisting the will of God for His people.

On a practical level it is the ‘fairy tale’ concept of love that the media and society propagates that is at the root of the rebellion that Mark speaks of. I deal with this concept in chapter two of the book that God had me write, (Who Said That You Should be Perfect?). People are raised up with the concept of the ‘ideal’ life as portrayed in the movies such as the Disney productions. The ‘...and they lived happily ever after...’ concept is predicated on the fact that the prince, (who actually represents Christ) marries the young lady, (princess or not she will become one once she marries the prince - she actually represents the church) is loosely based on the return of Christ. However under the direction of the prince of the power of the air, society has perverted the notion and ingrained it into the minds and hearts of little girls, (who grow up to be the rebellious women that Mark is speaking of) and when the fairly tale never happens they get embittered and rebellious. The have a hard time giving up that notion even when things do not work out that way. Then when someone, (even in many cases God Himself) shows them that PM is actually okay and would be a good solution for their predicament and the failed fairy tale life or to prevent disaster later in life, they openly reject it since it does not line up with what Walt Disney or any number of other messed up people with power in the media and society have taught them since youth. That is why the women resist. It is out of operating in the spirit of fear and the spirit of control, (Jezebel) that take hold of them, since they neither know the Word of God or God Himself and stubbornly hold on to the notion that they SHOULD have the fairly tale and if they cannot have it they will do things ‘their way’ - CONTROL to deal with FEAR.

It is only when women give up the spirit of fear and the spirit of control, (Jezebel spirit) and truly submit to God and His Word that they will be happy in ANY marriage, plural or not. My wife heard directly from God in 2005 that PM is for us and for the end-time church. She is just now beginning to submit to that word and stop trying to resist the Spirit of God on the issue. God Himself has dealt with her on the subject. I have only had to stand firm on His Word and revelation, pray and be patient for this time to come. I believe that when she is ready, God will present us with opportunities for more wives. Until then, I do not believe that He will. If she rebels and resists, then He will replace her with someone who WILL obey Him. It is as simple as that. None of us is irreplaceable. God will have His Word fulfilled one way of the other, (Luke 20:17-18).

(NKJV)

17Then He looked at them and said, “What then is this that is written:
‘The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone’?
18“Whoever falls on that stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder.”

I teach people that it is better to electively break yourself on the stone, (Christ) otherwise He will grind you into power. Either way, God is going to have His way with us. It is far better and less painful to be broken that to be ground up.

Be blessed,

Dr. Ray

BigMike and wife:

I owe you an apology. On this thread I've jumped in with both feet, waxed eloquent, passionate,and possibly even obnoxious (ok, likely) without even stopping to ask first just what you meant, or understand your heart.

This weekend, (ok, admittedly with the help of my wife and then Nathan, 2 witnesses) I've come under conviction of having thoroughly blown it with prideful, harsh postings.

I am truly sorry, hope you will forgive me, hope you're still here, and hope you"ll allow me to start over and try again.

bigmike said:
I was just kind of curious how many of you guys would see that being the patriarch of the family is more important than any other aspect of the family. That spiritual leadership in a plural relationship is more important than sex.

This is, in many ways, a tough one. When you said,"plural relationship", I will reply under the assumption that you mean, specifically "plural MARRIAGE", for if it isn't a plural marriage to which you refer, then it gets even more complicated.

Here's the thing: With sex but without godly male leadership, is each of the relationships a marriage? How about the inverse? With the godly male leadership but without sex? Is that actually a marriage?

It occurs to me that God told Adam and Eve to get busy with the "one flesh" thing BEFORE He told 'em that Adam had to rule. Also, you can get a marriage annulled for failure to ever make the beast with two backs, but not for being a lazy non-spiritual schmuck.

So, in one way, sex would seem to win. It seems critical to the very definition of the relationship as being a "marriage".

On the other hand, we come to the question of the long-term HEALTH of the relationship. To this, I would have to respond that it could limp along in some form for a very long time, perhaps even a lifetime, without sound godly male leadership -- some do -- but would we call it healthy? Doubtful. And might the lack be in part responsible for the astounding divorce rate? Likely. So Godly Biblical Patriarchy does seem vitally important as well.

Back to the first hand ... would the health of the marriages be worse or better, the longevity greater or shorter, if we removed sex from the equation? I'm sure we all agree it would be worse.

So, my own conclusion is that it is difficult to make this sort of comparison valid. Both seem to be needed. It seems to me like asking which is more important on an automobile, the steering mechanism including tires, or the engine? The answer is to go up the middle and say, "Yup! Both!"

I see an enormous need for women with children who are looking for the safety and security that can only be provided by a man who is Christ centered patriarch of his family. As I understand patriarch-ical leadership it is my job to pray over my family, protect my family, provide for my family, and love them the way Christ loves the church and is willing to die to that family. Would you open your hearts and doors to your homes to the widowed, divorced, and single mothers to love them and care for them as if they were your own second, or more wives; without getting married to them, nor indulging in any physical intimacy?

At a guess, most all of us men on this site see this same need.

In my case, I came to the study of PM without any consciousness of Patriarchy or particular consciousness of sound Godly male leadership in the home. Growing up, there was strong German male leadership, alright, along with liberal applications of a belt and God-invoking lectures. Definitely "Patriarchal" - rule by the father. I could not, however, describe it as either "sound" or "Godly". As you can imagine, my own home had struggles in this area -- I swung too far towards hands-off, though we, too, had a strongly spiritual orientation and active church involvement.

Yet my wife and I opened our home to women and children frequently. No sex. (Not that temptation didn't exist, in both directions, I later found out!) *wry grin* Some of them stayed quite a while. My cousin, a far better spiritual leader than I, had one stay for a couple of YEARS. But ultimately, each left. While it was and is nice to do, they were not permanent relationships, and I would not characterize them as plural relationships. Put another way, ...

We provided a bus stop shelter for their hearts, not a home. For the latter to have occurred would have, IMO, required marriage with ALL that entails (though some legal details would have to be handled differently, but that's a separate subject). That isn't to disparage the former, nor call it worthless. A bus stop shelter in a storm is a very good thing! But I do believe it is less than what is ultimately needed. See my impassioned earlier posts about belonging. ;)

Obviously before your mate became your wife she was first your sister in the Lord, (as these women are today, they are my sisters) then she became your wife and you produced offspring from that union of that love. If you opened your doors to widowed, divorced, and single mothers with children recognizing that she would be your sister in the Lord, adopting the children as your own, and raising them in the admiration and knowledge of our Savior Jesus. Would that be nobler and more pleasing to our Lord?

As a very short term thing, a bus stop shelter in the storm, of course! But it sounds to me as though you are thinking in longer terms -- "adopting them" and "raising them".

Let me begin to answer by asking a question in return: What if you were a single man? Would you recommend that it would be nobler and more pleasing to the Lord to take in one or more women and their children, adopt the children, raise them in the Lord, behave to all outward appearances as a family, and yet never marry their mother(s)? Or would we all start sputtering about the need to avoid the appearance of evil? If the latter, why would it be any different in a home where one marriage already existed and was being actively "enjoyed"?

Going one step further, what would the feelings of such a woman be? She's sort of in limbo now. Might she think something along the lines of, "It is better to marry than to burn, and I am married, sorta, but I'm still BURNING! What's more, SHE is the lucky recipient of any sexual energy generated between myself and HIM! This isn't RIGHT!" Fallow ground for resentment to grow!

IMO, while it SOUNDS very noble, an actual attempt to do so would end badly. Or else in bed anyway. Possibly or probably with lots of community gossip along the way. Right or wrong, based on my own experience, that's my opinion.

Finally, again IMO, I think God is well pleased when a man and woman in a covenant relationship get their freak on. He did, after all, make so many of us with an urge to do so, right? :D

Nowhere in scripture do *I* find any sense of God having a problem with folks entering into covenant relationships, even if a man already has one. Where I find God getting unhappy is when those covenant relationships, mono or poly, get broken!

Okay Cecil, I forgive you and I am sure the others will as well. Please again, forgive me.

I agree. Marital type love without physical expression of that love falls short of what I believe women want and what God wants for us. I would not like to have a relationship with Christ without ever feeling His presence. I really enjoy the physical 'touch' of God that He gives me on a regular basis. Women need physical affection, (men too) regardless of whether they have children. Doing so appropriately within a proper Godly marriage that is anointed is so awesome that it is indescribable. Everyone should experience this.

I married my wife at God’s command without ever going out on a date with her. Six years later, I love her now more than ever. If God sends other wives in the same fashion, by faith I will receive them. If He wants me to take care of some women without marrying or having a physical relationship with them, (and I have done that several times) that is also fine. I believe He will honor both if done with a right heart. However, the commitment of a proper marriage is the ultimate in my view, since the physical joining of husband and wife really represents the joining of Christ and the church, (Ephesians 5:31-32).

Be blessed,

Ray

I hate when that happens I had a big long epistle written out for y'all and it some how vanished.
Cecil, there are times when sex can't be part of a marrage. Take physical reasons, emotional, and time allotment.
We husbands are admonished in Eph 5 to love our wives. That is not all sex . Because Sandy is experiencing a lot of Vagnal pain and cramps (she 63 so it's not her time of the month) so we have been obstaining from intercourse I still love her an she me. I have been cuddling a lot more in the past few months. (BTW would you'all pray for her we don't know what is going on with her, but G-D knows and there are no supprises with Him.)
Ray, when I get home I'm going to study Isa 4 to see what you speak of. I do have one question for you. You say G-D has revealed things to you and your wife extra of the scripture.Are you saying that it is a verbal revelation? If so how do we establish the validy of your revelation? What would happen if another person recieved contrdictory information ? i'm just wondering.
Mark, my last question was dealing with the subject of how, where and when a husband would find a wife PM or Mono.
In my "world" we would seek a mate that has close and simular views. I met Sandy at Church, we "hit it off" from the start we did't have to sign up for e-harmony (there wasn't anything like that then) I wouldn't say it was love at first sight, It couldn't have been, I had to know about her and she me and our families had to accept us . Love is not a feeling it is a choice. One really doesn't 'Fall in love' if you fall IN love you can easly fall Out Of love.
As you all know there is a word called lust that most iof the world calls love, that is why we have some many unstable marrages. Billy looks at Sally and wham "I'm in love"
I think it takes time and prayer before a marrage can work.
Here's my Bible lessen for the day:
Remember what Jesus said in Matthew? Seek ye first the Kingdom of G-D and then all this will be added unto you. .
Regardless what you think about PM .WE should ALL make sure we are first doing G-d's work here on earth. The PM thing will take care of it's self. There are people dying and going to an everlasting world of torment. These folks are not worring about your having one or two wives they want to hear G-d's message of hope and his agape Love. Ok now i'll step down off of my soap box and let you think about it.

Mark, my last question was dealing with the subject of how, where and when a husband would find a wife PM or Mono.
The PM thing will take care of itself.

Agreed, Bob. Although I'd have just said the "marriage" thing...
so near as I can tell neither the Hebrew language nor God makes any specific distinction about the quantity.

Blessings,
Mark

Back