• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Patriarchs' Journal 3.21, 'Which traditional marriage..?'

That’s an interesting statement. Color me curious to your thoughts here, but I totally understand if you may not wanna elaborate.
I have a wife that left, hoping that I would come to my senses and see things her way before she would return.

Thank you for chiming in. "In context with a written document of "sending away" it means divorce." was the part I missed.

I was so informed by you on the relative strength of BDB over strongs. But that was some time ago and in the time since using BDB I've found it to hold true, much more specificity and detail. Strongs is much more abbreviated which covers over the complexity in the source language and tends to mislead. Though it is better than nothing.

Do the midrash's lend any insight on what happens to children after divorce in Hebrew custom?
That's an interesting question; do you mean who got custody or how children were affected as a result of divorce?

I can't think of any midrash where the woman got custody of the children in the event of a divorce.
I'll try to dig around more on this though next week (bliy neder "without a vow" ) :)

Don't the children belong to the man?
Yes, though batei din will award custody to the mother; for example if the man became an atheistic gay...

I’ve seen it also for a “mistaken betrothal” in which the husband fails to fulfill Exodus 21:10 and the child is freed with his mother. This may be the “fifth” part that he must add to her or something similar.

OTOH @Well loved wife and I were talking about this the other day, and I think its possible that the children that followed Michal when she was being brought to David were birthed by her. It has similarities to the code of Hammurabi when a wife leaves her husbands house because he’s absent and she’s without food. and then joins another mans house. When the husband comes home, she has to go back to her first husband, but the kids stay with the father.

Its not a perfect match of course, but its close enough that it may have been the basis of rationale in that moment.

1 Samuel 25:44 (KJV)
But Saul had given Michal his daughter, David's wife, to Phalti the son of Laish, which [was] of Gallim.

2 Samuel 21:8 (KJV)
But the king took the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, whom she bare unto Saul, Armoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite:

Ok, whaat?

Merab, interestingly enough, was the older daughter that David was originally going to marry. I Samuel 18:17

Last edited:
2 Samuel 21:8 (KJV)
But the king took the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, whom she bare unto Saul, Armoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite:

Ok, whaat?

This is quite interesting. Both the bold words are the same in hebrew. Yalad. To bear young to beget.

Interpretation bias?

I already talked to a catholic girl who said that Moses and Zipporah abstained sexually as did Mary and Joseph.

images

They missed Deuteronomy 34:7... 'Although Moses was one hundred and twenty years old when he died, his eye was not dim nor his vigor abated.'

Oh that I can make 120 and my vigor not be abated!! :D
I gotta wonder how they explain away Exodus 4:20. Of all the arguments I have heard against Moses practicing polygamy, this one takes the cake!

Back