• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Patriarchy in pop music

windblown

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Female
TRM posted a song, “Queen of the House,” to the BF Facebook page which got me thinking of a couple other songs in pop music that have surprising little glimmers of patriarchy in them. (Okay, so maybe not a complete surprise coming from the 50s-60s. But how about 70s—present?)

Here’s one that easily came to mind:

And then this one floored me when I heard my teenage daughters singing it years ago:

For those who won’t listen to a hip hop/rap song.. The interesting lyrics are “Yes, I’ll do the cooking/Yes, I’ll do the cleaning” and “Be my woman and I’ll be your man.”

((Those domestic instincts are strong in us women despite our topsy turvy world.😄))

What else would you add to the list?

Last edited:
I saw this on the TV screen a couple years ago maybe. I was meeting a couple of the men from the forum here at a restaurant in the DFW metro area talking about polygyny and sonofagun.... There was some dude on a music video marrying a bunch of women. Don't know who he is or what the music is about but it was surprising to see it!

Doesn’t exactly fit, but I like the sentiment.

I saw this on the TV screen a couple years ago maybe. I was meeting a couple of the men from the forum here at a restaurant in the DFW metro area talking about polygyny and sonofagun.... There was some dude on a music video marrying a bunch of women. Don't know who he is or what the music is about but it was surprising to see it!

That was bizarre. I’m so confused right now. 😂

A lot of the classic Motown and R&B was distinctly pro traditional masculinity while also being appreciative of feminine women. Some examples:

"It's A Man's World" by James Brown
"Ain't No Woman Like the One I've Got" by The Temptations
"I Got A Woman" by Ray Charles

And of course, in the more pop genre of the era "She's a Lady" by Tom Jones.

From the female perspective, there's this classic:

Etta James - Seven Day Fool

Last edited:
A lot of the classic Motown and R&B was distinctly pro traditional masculinity while also being appreciative of feminine women. Some examples:

"It's A Man's World" by James Brown
"Ain't No Woman Like the One I've Got" by The Temptations
"I Got A Woman" by Ray Charles

And of course, in the more pop genre of the era "She's a Lady" by Tom Jones.

From the female perspective, there's this classic:

Etta James - Seven Day Fool
Yes!
I was just thinking of this one:

<< It’s fascinating to me to see how the natural order/patriarchy has been skewed so dramatically (and tragically) in black culture. >>

Next time I will pay closer attention and not respond when I'm tired. I somehow missed the word "patriarchy" and read "polygyny".

It was fitting. In the same way that Ramstein and the Duke were…a glimpse of patriarchy in whatever twisted form it takes in secular society. And it totally shows up in hiphop culture.
I admit that the Duke of Earl was weak. I still maintain that Madonna’s Like a Prayer is accidentally very patriarchal but that idea has already been weighed here and found wanting.

Back