• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

PBS Series "Call the Midwife"

lutherangirl

Real Person
Female
I don't know if any of you watch this series, but one of the stories on Sunday's episode contained polygamy. Here is the recap:

This week is no exception. The drama comes in hot this episode when the show introduces Mumtaz Gani, the co-owner and boss lady of a thriving garment business in Poplar. Happily married to a man she’s known since childhood, Mumtaz and her husband Saddiq appear to have the picture perfect relationship. Naturally, “Call the Midwife” wastes no time in shattering that dream for us — thanks a lot. The seemingly idyllic couple is almost immediately stripped of its innocence and all things good when Saddiq returns home from a trip to Pakistan with her nine-month pregnant cousin Parveen. He explains to Mumtaz that her parents, along with Saddiq’s mother, agreed that Parveen would become Saddiq’s second wife since Mumtaz, who is infertile, cannot produce children for them. A dagger to the back? Complete and utter betrayal? Yeah, that sounds about right. Let’s just say Mumtaz was not pleased.

The story line was very touching with a hopeful ending. Saddiq was actually a gentle soul handling the situation with care for both wives. I thought his character portrayed great qualities of a polygamous husband.

I love this show! I was really surprised that they had a polygamous family issue on it at first but the more I thought about it they really like to do shows on things that society at that time would have a hard time with, for example birth control, single motherhood, teenager health classes and hidden gay relationships. Granted the polygamous family was way out there then and now to most. I loved how they allowed the nuns to be so gracious even amidst something they didn't agree with. It was about the well being of the family and respecting a different culture.

OP's quote is from the show's page at PBS. The lead-in to the remark about this episode being "no exception" says, "As we’ve seen time and time again, the midwives of Nonnatus House […] embrace the chaos and always show compassion to the people they meet, regardless of background."

@lutherangirl and @julieb, it sounds as though the show's attitude is not nearly so catty as the re-cap, is that right?

OP's quote is from the show's page at PBS. The lead-in to the remark about this episode being "no exception" says, "As we’ve seen time and time again, the midwives of Nonnatus House […] embrace the chaos and always show compassion to the people they meet, regardless of background."

@lutherangirl and @julieb, it sounds as though the show's attitude is not nearly so catty as the re-cap, is that right?
Right, the show's attitude was just as Julieb put it and that is why I thought the episode was so wonderful. The re-cap was 'catty'. I should have stated that I posted the re-cap in my OP.

Haven't seen that show, but our family does enjoy PBS a lot. Most stuff is so much better than network things.

My wife loves this show, but I do not think she has seen the most recent episode. We will have to watch it. Thank you for pointing it out!

Oh good grief, I thought this was real! Having never seen the show I thought it was like one born every minute sort of thing, which I also haven't seen lol.

Actually, I believe Ali told me that all the births are filmed of someone actually giving birth. It is very realistic.

It was season 7 episode 4 that first aired on 11 February. It was very good. It seemed like whoever wrote the episode gets it at least hypothetically.

Actually this is not the first time the show has featured polygamy. Season 2 episode 3 had a show with a pair of twins who share a husband, but I have not seen the episode yet.

It was season 7 episode 4 that first aired on 11 February. It was very good. It seemed like whoever wrote the episode gets it at least hypothetically.

Actually this is not the first time the show has featured polygamy. Season 2 episode 3 had a show with a pair of twins who share a husband, but I have not seen the episode yet.
I think I missed the episode with the twins. Thanks for the info. I do love this show.

Back