• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Persuasion Strategies

NeoPatriarch

Real Person
Male
A lot of time is spent online arguing for, explaining, or defending one position or another.

It seems to me persuasion face to face, is fundamentally different than online.

Face to face, I tend to take a guided questioning approach, in an effort to use points upon which we already agree to make the point. A la the Socratic method.

Online, this method doesn't work so well. Mostly, because it's easily overcome by a shotgun response that now has to be unwound.

So what strategies, if any, do you use online and in person?

Frankly, I don’t debate much online. I rarely see anyone’s opinion is changed, and it almost always results in folks digging their heels in. That isn’t to say minds aren’t changed - they are, but it is so rare I don’t find it is worth my time. In person I use a variety of methods depending on the situation. My job is one of intense conflict much of the time, so persuasion is a key part of my day-to-day life.

For me, the whole idea here is to get to know polygamy people in the meantime between meeting them face to face, kind of like the online dating method. Each persons view is unique to them, some you have things in common with and some you don't, but they are all interesting. I like to hear others view as it helps me see things outside the box I live in. Doesn't mean I am wrong or they are wrong, its just different. But it is a place that emotions can take over and the whole effect is lost. However, through the emotions I have learned things and I hope that I have helped others see a different point of view. It's easy to be the ruler of the internet beyond ones keyboard, realizing there is another human being on the other end somewhere is something I do try to remember. But I do forget sometimes.

There are limits to online communication, or technological communication of any sort for that matter. However, what I find to be true is that genuine people tend to be genuine no matter the venue. Personalities manifest, and "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh" is a tried and tested plumbline. I joined this forum to learn and meet others of the same persuasion about Biblical families. This is a great gathering with much to offer and share.

Hmm...three responses but not to the OP.

This thread is about being persuasive. Please don't hijack my thread for some other purpose.

You're actually trying to persuade the thread in another direction. I'll be fine if no one wants to discuss persuasion, which seems to be the case, but let's not pretend that persuasion isn't part of the equation.

There are those here that want to persuade people toward something they believe and there are those who want to just talk to people about different spiritual subjects. It's obvious what category you are, but it's your thread do what you want. I actually thought the responses were in line. Maybe I'm not being persuasive enough.

Everybody uses persuasion.

As Christians we seek to persuade people to Christ.

Act 18:4
And he (Paul) reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and tried to persuade Jews and Greeks.

2Co 5:11
Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade others. But what we are is known to God, and I hope it is known also to your conscience.
So that's why I really wish to discuss persuasion. If only I can persuade someone to engage me about this topic.

The persuading being talked about is believer to non believers. Trying to persuade someone here, on this forum, is saying they are wrong in what they believe and the persuader is right. Not likely going to turn out well here.

However, if someone comes along and denies the salvation work of Christ, persuade away and I'm with you.

Persuade vs convinced
Someone persuaded me to do something but after some thought I was unconvinced.
I prefer to present the facts and leave the persuasion for others
If the facts leave you convinced only a change of facts will change your mind.

It seems like you're trying to PERSUADE me not to discuss persuasion strategies. I just don't understand why.

Not at all. Maybe it would be helpful if it were known what the purpose is for your persuasion strategies?

Is it to correct someone you think is in error on this forum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody uses persuasion.

As Christians we seek to persuade people to Christ.

Act 18:4
And he (Paul) reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and tried to persuade Jews and Greeks.

2Co 5:11
Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade others. But what we are is known to God, and I hope it is known also to your conscience.
So that's why I really wish to discuss persuasion. If only I can persuade someone to engage me about this topic.

I agree with @Cap and would like to add that in your own original post you made this comment, "It seems to me persuasion face to face, is fundamentally different than online." which prompted my response which promptly you shot down, as well as the others who chose to dialogue with you. So one must ask a few pertinent questions:
1. Is this all about you?
2. Do you want a soap box?
3. Do you have an axe to grind?
4. Do you realize that your delivery attitude has everything to do with whether you're whistling Dixie in the wind and your message is falling on deaf ears?
5. Do you really want dialogue about methods of persuasion?
6. Is it your way or the highway?

You also mention in your first post, "So what strategies, if any, do you use online and in person?" My response to that is totally individualized because what works for one topic may not work for another. More importantly individual personalities respond differently to various approaches. IMO opinion, if you've got a cookie-cutter set of guidelines which allow you to espouse your ideas, then you've got your soap box, but good luck getting anyone to seriously give you the time of day because persuasion involves relationship building if you truly have an endgoal in mind.

So we're back on topic--probably not what you wanted to hear though. :)

Persuade vs convinced
Someone persuaded me to do something but after some thought I was unconvinced.
I prefer to present the facts and leave the persuasion for others
If the facts leave you convinced only a change of facts will change your mind.

That's a reasonable approach. Unfortunately most people are not persuaded by facts. They may even be aware of those facts, but there presuppositions that skew the facts to align with their beliefs.

So like for example: creationist and evolutionists have the same evidence, but they view that evidence through their presuppositions.

So I think it's important to deal with presupposition in order to be persuasive.

Last edited:
That's a reasonable approach. Unfortunately most people are not persuaded by facts. They may even be aware of those facts, but there presuppositions that skew the facts to align with their beliefs.

So like for example: creationist and evolutionists have the same evidence, but they view that evidence through their presuppositions.

So I think it's important to deal with presupposition in order to be persuasive.
"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still!"

Maybe that's rule #1 persuasion must be done willfully.

Mat 7:6
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

I’m just gonna say that persuasion is a byproduct of influence
I have to agree.

Does this happen via jealousy?

Rom 11:13 — Rom 11:14
Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry in order somehow to make my fellow Jews jealous, and thus save some of them.

Back