• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Please pray my professor will treat me super extra nice

So I have had a lot of problems.

These are very legitimate problems.

But I do not think my professor can understand them, that is I do not think I can explain it, because it could be misunderstood. i can only explain certain portions of it and because of that the situation could seem trivial but really it is extreme.

I will just say that in the big picture I am not the problem it is other people but I cannot violate confidentiality and because I cannot violate confidentiality there is no way to explain it other than in vague terms. In a sense it is how I respond to other people but ..... there are simply some situations in which although there is a theoretical best response almost no one even among the best of people will handle the situation inflicted upon them by someone else in a good way. I did say almost so please do not correct me. (by the way I am not talking about people who I talk to online so please do not think I am blaming any of you.)

Before I was really really hard on my self because I got almost no progress done on a Thesis for 6 to 12 months.

But when I thought about the situation more there were actually very good reasons.

From what I remember from what some people (other than my adviser told me) I have no due dates other than some large number of years like 5 years to graduate so I am not behind a due date in one sense, but in another I should have made more progress by now.

I have been really afraid of talking to my professor at this point.

Pray that the professor will not say even one angry thing to me.

I just already have had a crushed spirit enough, it will only make it harder if my professor is angry.

I sent an email to my professors, and they said they are not angry with me (at least one of them did.) :D

Now if I am lucky I can study for my Thesis without registering for my Thesis (because once I have enough credits I only need to register the semester I graduate)

Can you pray for this also.

Also I need someone to help me to learn to use some equipment. Can you pray for this.

EMG but ......

so confusing

Basically in 100% of the classes I have had with EMG mentioned they discuss how to deal with the data but never how to collect the data or what the data actually is. There was occasionally a class where we were supposed to use EMG but they did not tell us good instructions, basically just put a pad "somewhere around there," because we are not doing a real EMG session so it does not matter.

They spent most of the time explaining limitations of EMG data which was usually enough limitations to convince me to plan not to use EMG and think that it will be unimportant for me.

For my Thesis I am suppose to do something with fatigue, and I could have used lactic acid readings or other methods that I consider much more reliable than EMG but the professors only wanted me to use EMG which was my last choice. It was very disappointing to be told have to use EMG. But that being said even if I was allowed an alternative method they never taught me how to measure blood lactate levels either, and I do not like the idea of drawing blood.

Needless to say since I am supposed to collect the data this knowledge about working with data is completely useless knowledge for me, unless I first learn how to collect the data.

I had another topic before that was really really really awesome and I really liked it. But again I had to have someone either teach me the hands on portion or help me with the hands on portion, and this did not turn out well.

basically I came to the conclusion that whatever Thesis topic I do, if someone does not help me learn how to do the hands on part I will crash and burn. They do not necessarily have to do the hands on portion for me but just invest time to teach me.

unless there is some strange miracle

DTT,

I can only imagine your frustration. Being tasked to do something and not be given the tools or the training to produce the expected results is not a pressure that one needs while trying to put together a thesis that can withstand scrutiny.

I have a couple of suggestions. The one which I think would be the most helpful given your geographic location would be to see if you can get down to Rochester and get some help from the Mayo clinic. If you explain your situation, I am sure you'll be able to find a neurologist or physical therapist hot shot who could at least point you in the right direction. They might even know people closer to you who would be able to give you a hand. Because Mayo is so huge and so famous for research, I am sure that even a phone relationship with someone could help, even if you can't make the trip.

The second suggestion is similar, and involves an extensive EMG study being done by Microsoft, the University of Washington and the University of Toronto. Toronto is not exactly next door, but it might be a possibility. Even a really good bio-feedback practioner or prosthetic technician might be able to fill in the blanks for you.

May Yeshua guide you through this maze and cause you to leap over its wall. :)

alit53 said:
DTT,

I can only imagine your frustration. Being tasked to do something and not be given the tools or the training to produce the expected results is not a pressure that one needs while trying to put together a thesis that can withstand scrutiny.

I have a couple of suggestions. The one which I think would be the most helpful given your geographic location would be to see if you can get down to Rochester and get some help from the Mayo clinic. If you explain your situation, I am sure you'll be able to find a neurologist or physical therapist hot shot who could at least point you in the right direction. They might even know people closer to you who would be able to give you a hand. Because Mayo is so huge and so famous for research, I am sure that even a phone relationship with someone could help, even if you can't make the trip.

The second suggestion is similar, and involves an extensive EMG study being done by Microsoft, the University of Washington and the University of Toronto. Toronto is not exactly next door, but it might be a possibility. Even a really good bio-feedback practioner or prosthetic technician might be able to fill in the blanks for you.

May Yeshua guide you through this maze and cause you to leap over its wall. :)

Well if my professor has someone help me that I can meet in real life that well help. I do not need more technical articles. I just need someone to show me how to use the equipment we have in our lab and to show me how to place the device correctly. If the equipment somewhere else is different talking to "top-shots" will do me no good.

This is very straightforward.

There is also other equipment I need to learn than EMG.

Hopefully the professor will help me and then I can start working on my own after some practice.

Thanks

Back