• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

PLURAL marriage vs ONE big marriage

Isabella said:
yes many are negative but there are far more positive comments than you would expect and far more 'well it is not my kind of thing but....' types too.

Okay :)

Isabella said:
As for being run out of Utah...ermm that was just the pending court case, not as if there was a lynch mob outside the door

Well, I remember the wives being very upset and tearfully saying that the younger kids became very afraid every time they heard a police siren. None of them wanted to move and the kids appeared extremely upset (a few seemed to have been traumatized by it) about moving. Bottom line, they felt forced to leave their homes and their home state.

Fairlight said:
Isabella said:
Monogamy is SO culturally ingrained and assumed that we would have to be soft in the head to put barriers up in the various Poly communities and it is useful to realise that a win from one side will equal a win for all of us.

Not necessarily.....
I am only interested in advancing Biblical Marriage and so is my "significant other". I don't want to be associated with the polyamorists. When I have shared my belief in PM with friends, the first thoughts that occur to them are that I must be either bi-sexual or a member of some FLDS group. IMHO, Christian polygynists need to differentiate themselves from any group that does not embrace Biblically defined marriage.

Blessings,
Fairlight

For the record to all others, I have already gotten an answer to the topic I started here. I accepted that on pg 1 based on one of Dr. K.R. Allen's response and I'm reading through others right now.

One thing that caught my eye is this comment I'm quoting from, Fairlight. Are you being realistic or unreasonably restrictive? If someone whether they be a polyamorist you don't like or some Mormon polygamists manages to win a court case and bigamy laws are overturned, would you not be happy and share in that success? I understand your point that we have to be separate from the SINFUL aspects of the world as the NT mentions, but perhaps some are taking that way too far. Your view only works here on this forum but this forum is not enough. I'm personally open to working with well organized Mormon polygamists and have even considered polyamorous groups for stronger support to help get poly marriages decriminalized.

Once decriminalized or legalized like monogamy, there won't be a point in using terms like biblical polygyny just as we see no point in using words like biblical monogamy. A marriage is a marriage.

Fairlight said:
Well, I remember the wives being very upset and tearfully saying that the younger kids became very afraid every time they heard a police siren. None of them wanted to move and the kids appeared extremely upset (a few seemed to have been traumatized by it) about moving. Bottom line, they felt forced to leave their homes and their home state.

I am sorry but do you actually watch it? There are four events with the police, first was Meri Brown who noticed that there was a Police car outside the house and panicked, the older girls noticing a Police car going up and down their road and panicking about it, mind you, they knew the situation, the Police siren when they were moving prompted a bit of a panic (again the adults) which prompted a family prayer. Then lastly a Police car pulled up when they had a flat tyre to see if they were ok. The younger kids were fine and pretty accepting but the teenagers were all very hostile and upset about the move and the adults were anxious Kids are not traumatised by moving, people move all of the time, but I feel the manner in which they moved was rushed and certainly played up (it IS after all a TV show) to create tension and excitement on the show, when they first told the younger kids they were excited, they only got upset when they were told they would be moving in three days. and speaking from my own experiences, I hated and resented every.....single....move (no lie or exaggeration) I had to do as a teenager (I moved six times between 13-18). But, I got over it. :D

My bottom line is, it wasn't the people, it was the State which forced them out.

B

PolyPride said:
If someone whether they be a polyamorist you don't like or some Mormon polygamists manages to win a court case and bigamy laws are overturned, would you not be happy and share in that success?

This is what I wondered also. For the record I was opposed to the Canadian Polyamorists (CPAA) putting out their 'Polygamists are bad, we are fab' statement in the recent court case. I feel it was ultimately destructive to both causes.

B

Isabella said:
My bottom line is, it wasn't the people, it was the State which forced them out.
Good point, Bels. And it made Sir BumbleBerry mumble in my ear (his mouth WAS full of gumdrop ...), "What's the population of Utah?"

Turns out the US Census bureaus says that as of 2010, it was 2,763,885.

Now, we know, logically, that it wasn't even the full government of the State of Utah who ran them out, as there are lots of government employees. There are even lots of Utah Law Enforcement employees. But those involved in giving them a hard time were just those of a local prosecutor's office, and police force, and maybe someone who filed the formal complaint so as to get the process activated, and perhaps a few people in the judiciary. Maybe 100 folks all told, with their items of intimate apparel somehow all bunched up over the family choices of this one non-consumers-of-public-support family?

Sounds like pretty good ratios to me. Lot's of folks either supportive or saying "Not my business."

10+ years ago, simply breaching the subject of polygamy and opining that it was morally alright was often enough to get one in trouble with whatever group the discussion took place. Some of us lost jobs just for discussing it.

If I understand Bels point correctly, she's observing that this is changing. More and more people are interested in at least discussing it. More and more folks are willing to live and let live, whether they are interested in it for themselves or not.

This benefits us all, and makes it easier for us to openly speak about what we find in the Bible about God's ordained method of going about the whole subject of family.

I think it is important for us to remember that the devil's method is to be accusative, while God's is to say, "There's a better way. Come walk in it with me." (Bible references available if you really want me to dig 'em out.) So our method needs to primarily focus on the same plan as God's, right. And it is nice when even saying so doesn't get u stoned! :)

PolyPride said:
Are you being realistic or unreasonably restrictive? If someone whether they be a polyamorist you don't like or some Mormon polygamists manages to win a court case and bigamy laws are overturned, would you not be happy and share in that success?

I'm sure some people would think so but I don't want to be associated with polyamory for any reason.
I'm all for decriminalizing polygyny but I wouldn't be comfortable joining up with non-Christians in order to accomplish that.

PolyPride said:
Your view only works here on this forum but this forum is not enough. I'm personally open to working with well organized Mormon polygamists and have even considered polyamorous groups for stronger support to help get poly marriages decriminalized.

You certainly have a right to your own opinion but, for me, this would be an unacceptable compromise.

Blessings,
Fairlight

Isabella said:
I am sorry but do you actually watch it?

I watched it last season and I also saw it last Sunday.
My comments were based not only on the show but on all the interviews they have given to various media sources.

Isabella said:

This was my point as well...they were "FORCED" out by the state investigation....but there was plenty of negative reactions from people as well directed not only to them but also towards their employers and TLC....this also had to have played a part.

Isabella....if you enjoy the show, then keep watching it :) ....I just don't care for it (or Kody).

Blessings,
Fairlight

Oh I will.....

B

Back