• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Poly from a woman's perspective on YouTube.

Delta

Female
I was watching this video, I found it to be quite interesting. I was hoping for some opinions on it. What parts you agree or disagree, and why. :)

I made it ten minutes in.
The half truths are overwhelming, I just cannot do it.

Ditto.

First: proof-texting: embellishing on Scripture to justify one's own foundational point of view.

Second: race-centric: I understand that one race has been rewarded in recent times within our culture to seek interpretations that rewrite history to make that race the hero of history. I also understand why that would be run with by them. But that doesn't make any of it valid. It's more the equivalent of taking an animated Disney movie and changing the skin color of the protagonists. It's still a fairy tale, and now it's a fairy tale version of a fairy tale.

I made it 5 minutes in.
The guest gal begins by stating a word of wisdom her friend shared with her about how Scripture should interpret scripture rather than reading it through our experiences and biases… then she goes on to share some of her thoughts and ideas as if they are rooted in Scripture while taking some Scripture out of context to support her mindset.

I made it 5 minutes in.
The guest gal begins by stating a word of wisdom her friend shared with her about how Scripture should interpret scripture rather than reading it through our experiences and biases… then she goes on to share some of her thoughts and ideas as if they are rooted in Scripture while taking some Scripture out of context to support her mindset.
Amen, @rustywest4. Exactly. I was gone within a minute of that. When I saw the host break into glee that her political point had been made, I knew there was no way this video would redeem itself.

At least with the video I posted last week about the singing polygamist in Ghana, while there was interpretation of Scripture that implied an African-centric racial bias, the man's wife provided spot on interpretation of Scripture related to polygyny.

I made it 5 minutes in.
The woman just seemed to ramble on with a hodgepodge of ideas she attempted to justify by misrepresenting holy Scripture. Yet I agree with her primary supposition; Scripture interprets Scripture. I wish she would have applied that to herself.

I watched the entire video... that was brutal:confused:... it didn’t get any better. These two ladies are speaking about things that they do not comprehend and they should NOT be attempting to teach scripture to anyone. Based on statements they made toward the end of the video it sounds like what I’m saying has been pointed out to them and they simply blew it off. They seem to be unteachable and they seem to value their personal opinions above a consistent hermeneutic. They are so far off base that it would take an entire video series to untangle their mess of mixing inaccurate paraphrases of Bible passages with their own misguided perceptions. In a nut shell, these two couldn’t find their own rear ends with both hands and a map... biblically speaking.

3:30; It doesn't (or at least shouldn't) take extra money to have additional wives, or even one wife. _If the process is structured properly, then adding another member (ie; extra labor) to the household should increase wealth generation, not result in a loss of wealth. _Even in simple "shacking up" scenario, you can share rent/heating/cooling, and thus reduce total expenditure among the group.

3:30; It doesn't (or at least shouldn't) take extra money to have additional wives, or even one wife. _If the process is structured properly, then adding another member (ie; extra labor) to the household should increase wealth generation, not result in a loss of wealth. _Even in simple "shacking up" scenario, you can share rent/heating/cooling, and thus reduce total expenditure among the group.
Yes, they are just trying to set such a high standard that it is not possible.
Although I do have a problem with marrying extra wives in order to increase the family coffers.

Although I do have a problem with marrying extra wives in order to increase the family coffers.
If phrased like that where it seems like greed is the fundamental motivation, then yea, I certainly agree. _I rather think of it as growing the family group where each individual brings their unique skills, and uses it for the good of the group; to increase overall strong and resilience, in that generation and future generations. _From what I've read of what Andrew has mentioned about his situation, it sounds really nice; a family business where everyone is involved.

If that were the only reason, it would be entirely too cold, but don't forget this, @steve: increasing the family coffers also benefits each new wife -- and that applies even when adding someone who is living in poverty; that person brings resources, even if just labor resources that free up others to bring in other resources, that benefit everyone and can lift her from poverty to financial stability.

If phrased like that where it seems like greed is the fundamental motivation, then yea, I certainly agree. _I rather think of it as growing the family group where each individual brings their unique skills, and uses it for the good of the group; to increase overall strong and resilience, in that generation and future generations. _From what I've read of what Andrew has mentioned about his situation, it sounds really nice; a family business where everyone is involved.

Although I should have read further down to see that @eye4them had already made the same points!

o_O

Back