• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Poly Practised Elsewhere

@Tesfalcon , you pulled that completely out of context and quoted the part after the section that I was responding to.
Here is the problem statement:
In the Bible, he notes, some women seemed to have been in a complex situation such that remarrying was out of thought. They thus ended up being concubines.”

Where do we have an example of women being in such a complex situation that they cannot get married and must settle for concubineage in today’s world?

This is a problem in this type of conversation. It's not always clear what comment goes w what comment. Sorry for the confusion. Even w that verse in Leviticus it doesn't say anything about beating the man so your comment of "not supported in Scripture" would still apply.

As for the "complex situations", I do know of some cases, but it was ALWAYS people who complicated what God makes simple.

Husband goes missing, completely drops out of existance. No bank access. No weird sightings. Just gone. Filed missing persons report. Friends and neighbors got together to look. Nothing.

After 6 months and no sign of him, she presumes him dead. BUT without a body, her church wouldn't sanction her remarriage. So, she finds someone else anyway, goes through all the process except the marriage certificate. Church leaders confront her: living in sin.

"Show me my husband & I will repent and return. Without him, I'm this man's concubine."
Shows notarized letter of voluntary servitude.

They tried to object as it being sin without a "proper marriage".
"But if I went to the state to marry, you'd go back to your first objection that he's not REALLY my husband since my 1st is of unknown wherabouts."

She was on thin ice and nearly disfellowshipped. After 4 yrs, a guy was arrested and IDd her husband as a guy he accidentally killed while robbing him. He got scared, hid the body, and kept quiet until now. Guilty conscience was eating him up.

This is a problem in this type of conversation. It's not always clear what comment goes w what comment. Sorry for the confusion. Even w that verse in Leviticus it doesn't say anything about beating the man so your comment of "not supported in Scripture" would still apply.

As for the "complex situations", I do know of some cases, but it was ALWAYS people who complicated what God makes simple.

Husband goes missing, completely drops out of existance. No bank access. No weird sightings. Just gone. Filed missing persons report. Friends and neighbors got together to look. Nothing.

After 6 months and no sign of him, she presumes him dead. BUT without a body, her church wouldn't sanction her remarriage. So, she finds someone else anyway, goes through all the process except the marriage certificate. Church leaders confront her: living in sin.

"Show me my husband & I will repent and return. Without him, I'm this man's concubine."
Shows notarized letter of voluntary servitude.

They tried to object as it being sin without a "proper marriage".
"But if I went to the state to marry, you'd go back to your first objection that he's not REALLY my husband since my 1st is of unknown wherabouts."

She was on thin ice and nearly disfellowshipped. After 4 yrs, a guy was arrested and IDd her husband as a guy he accidentally killed while robbing him. He got scared, hid the body, and kept quiet until now. Guilty conscience was eating him up.
I’ll buy that one, it is a good example.
I would have taken her in and provided for her, but I definitely would have postponed beginning a concubinal relationship for a minimum of a year. At the very least.

One lady's perspective...

If You Call Harems And Polygamy Sinful, You Will Not See Heaven
https://www.modernghana.com/news/1033631/if-you-call-harems-and-polygamy-sinful-you-will.html

--------------------

Why My Husband Is Looking For A Second Wife And I Am Excited About it
https://www.modernghana.com/news/94...oking-for-a-second-wife-and-i-am-excited.html
I might quibble with the conclusions she draws about the motivations behind outlawing polygamy, but the woman makes some really good arguments.

Could be a great guest speaker at a Biblical Families gathering!

I might quibble with the conclusions she draws about the motivations behind outlawing polygamy, but the woman makes some really good arguments.

Could be a great guest speaker at a Biblical Families gathering!

Agreed.

I wonder if one of the ladies here might be inclined to contact her and invite her to join this forum?
I suspect she might have some rather interesting things to contribute.

Agreed.

I wonder if one of the ladies here might be inclined to contact her and invite her to join this forum?
I suspect she might have some rather interesting things to contribute.
Well, I already sent her an email message asking her to forward my email address to her husband. We'll see if she responds. Anyway, it's maryytamar@gmail.com.

I also read her lengthy take on Esau being YHWH's purposeful introduction of a separate white race in addition to everyone else who prior to that were dark Africans.

It can't hurt to add some new perspectives!

From that Ghana perspective...

"There is no polygamy in British culture or history."

This isn't true. Except for the Greco-Roman's, some form of polygamy was practiced among many of the European peoples (if not all of them), specifically including the British. The British are particularly notable because, contrary to her fairy tale ideal of being in the harem of a rich man among the British it was more of a lower class poverty thing.

"As I said, the Romans were gifted in story telling, so all the artwork out there about Harems are only depicted in white people, because Harems were for the rich."

To the contrary this was because this art (and the pieces she used in the article illustrate this) is of Islamic harems. These were the closest practicing polygamists of the time. They depict white women because the rich Muslims would buy beautiful White women for their harem. Most commonly these would be Slavic women (either from capture or tribute), from where we got our English term for slave.

From that Ghana perspective...

"There is no polygamy in British culture or history."

This isn't true. Except for the Greco-Roman's, some form of polygamy was practiced among many of the European peoples (if not all of them), specifically including the British. The British are particularly notable because, contrary to her fairy tale ideal of being in the harem of a rich man among the British it was more of a lower class poverty thing.

"As I said, the Romans were gifted in story telling, so all the artwork out there about Harems are only depicted in white people, because Harems were for the rich."

To the contrary this was because this art (and the pieces she used in the article illustrate this) is of Islamic harems. These were the closest practicing polygamists of the time. They depict white women because the rich Muslims would buy beautiful White women for their harem. Most commonly these would be Slavic women (either from capture or tribute), from where we got our English term for slave.

Yeah, the racial perspective and promotion of all things African being superior to all things everywhere else doesn't appeal to me, but I did appreciate her arguments for polygyny. I got an email response from her to my request for her husband's contact information, and she sent his email address. I invited him to join Biblical Families.

Man marries three identical sisters, the triplets say it has been their dream to marry the same man

Man marries three identical sisters, the triplets say it has been their dream to marry the same man

Wow, three identical wives..... hmmm..... that's a unique way to begin married life and probably one with the least amount of jealousy underlying any of the relationships. I'd love to see updates over the months ahead.

Back