• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Polygamy Is Morally Wrong ~ So Says Gallup

Doc

Real Person
080519MoralGraph2_i94kjfna9.gif

A lot has changed in the last three years...I bet the number that thinks it is acceptable now is at least four times what it was in 2008, and will probably be more than half within a couple of years. I have seen many comments recently on polygamy related news sites where people can leave comments...most seem to indicate their tolerance for polygamy as long as the stereotypical child bride and abuse situations were avoided. I see comments like "Any man that can put up with two PMSing women in the same house has my vote - but I still think he is crazy." and "It's not for me, but if it works for you I have no problem with that." As more and more people are exposed to successful - in your neighborhood - polygamous families, these opinions will change. While the cult compound polygamy stigma remains ingrained in peoples minds it will remain an abomination to them.

When the small remaining portion of the middle class see polygamous families living in nicer homes and having happier lives they will start to be curious as to the advantages of such an arrangement.

I emailed Gallup within the past two weeks asking when they were planning on updating their statistics on polygamy...I have not heard back from them yet.

Well those are really grim statistics but I agree with Scarecrow, you can bet that those results are constantly changing.
Also, like he said, when you know people personally who are happy and well adjusted you are less likely to be bigoted against them so I do have hope for the future.

Bels

wow but i think so many more people are open minded than used to be. its good in this way. like me. i am open minded or i wouldnt be here at all.

Extraordinary figure from the 2008 Gallup poll. Gallup is a commercial organisation, so will need to be paid to release more details of these findings. I would like to know the breakdown by gender, age and social class, and ethnic background. I suspect that people of say Chinese background might be more accepting of polygamy, as would people from higher, and richer, social class. Richer men can afford polygamy.

Back