• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Polygyny, Matt. 5:28, and Attraction

Do you believe God punished Sara and Abram for 90 years? Just curious lol
No. In that case, that was God's plan. And some women truly can't have children. That is not their fault, it just is what is.
What I'm talking about is the general idea in the bible, that being barren is a curse, and this was a great point where God demonstrated that by making all Abimelech's wives and slaves barren.
In our society we choose to do this to ourselves. We go against what is natural and against what God has commanded.

I'll just mention something about myself here so you know where I'm coming from. We have 7 children and after the 7th I had a medical condition that required a hysterectomy. I had a bunch of people saying 'well, finally, at least she won't be able to have any more kids' and others saying 'God doesn't want that for you, it's bad to stop having kids, here's a bunch of exercises that will fix your problem, God will heal you.'
The exercises didn't work, they do not work for all women. I was praying about it and God spoke to me, He said, "This is my gift to you."
In this case, barreness is a gift, my gift. Many people think God would never say that or do that, but He did.
I'm not going to spend time going through why that was a gift to me, it's a long story. I am super happy with my 7 children and maybe Samuel will get another wife one day who will have more children, who knows.

No. In that case, that was God's plan. And some women truly can't have children. That is not their fault, it just is what is.
What I'm talking about is the general idea in the bible, that being barren is a curse, and this was a great point where God demonstrated that by making all Abimelech's wives and slaves barren.
In our society we choose to do this to ourselves. We go against what is natural and against what God has commanded.

I'll just mention something about myself here so you know where I'm coming from. We have 7 children and after the 7th I had a medical condition that required a hysterectomy. I had a bunch of people saying 'well, finally, at least she won't be able to have any more kids' and others saying 'God doesn't want that for you, it's bad to stop having kids, here's a bunch of exercises that will fix your problem, God will heal you.'
The exercises didn't work, they do not work for all women. I was praying about it and God spoke to me, He said, "This is my gift to you."
In this case, barreness is a gift, my gift. Many people think God would never say that or do that, but He did.
I'm not going to spend time going through why that was a gift to me, it's a long story. I am super happy with my 7 children and maybe Samuel will get another wife one day who will have more children, who knows.
I am in agreement with that. I just wanted that clarified for others who might read. Our father always takes care of us.

Coveting a wife is a lot more than thinking someone has a hot wife.
Yeah, I’ve looked at friends’ and bosses’ wives on many occasions and thought “He sure is lucky. I hope I get one a lot like that someday.” And I wasn’t basing the assessment on inner beauty. I was happy for them and was inspired by their hot catch. I have a hard time believing I was sinning.

Yeah, I’ve looked at friends’ and bosses’ wives on many occasions and thought “He sure is lucky. I hope I get one a lot like that someday.” And I wasn’t basing the assessment on inner beauty. I was happy for them and was inspired by their hot catch. I have a hard time believing I was sinning.
On the flip side, sometimes I've looked at other men's super hot wives, and sincerely thanked God for not giving me one like that (because she seemed quarrelsome, unpleasant, super high maintenance, or unchaste). 😄.

Of course I still appreciated the hotness.👍

On the flip side, sometimes I've looked at other men's super hot wives, and sincerely thanked God for not giving me one like that (because she seemed quarrelsome, unpleasant, super high maintenance, or unchaste). 😄.

Of course I still appreciated the hotness.👍
Seriously though, a high maintenance wife is a contradiction in terms. She should be an asset to the home, not a liability; a help to the growth of the family not a hindrance. If she's just eye candy for others, what's the point in having her?

Just found this example of the verse being used in the modesty discussion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-153858_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-153858_Instagram.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20220810-153920_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-153920_Instagram.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 21
Just found this example of the verse being used in the modesty discussion.
I think this modesty business sometimes goes way overboard, and that this verse often isn't relevant. Still, I think there is something good about encouraging modesty.

I don't think a single woman should dress or act in such a manner as to draw undue attention to herself, or to intentionally inflame men's sexual desire.

At the same time, it is appropriate for a single woman to dress in a manner that properly draws the attention of the right men. Perhaps it is dressing to attract rather than inflame? 🤔

I don't know exactly where that line is, but the young woman's father likely does.

What Christ is doing is pointing to the heart of the issue. It's not just actions that are wrong, those are merely the results of a sinful heart. So hatred of a brother is as to murder in God's eyes. So too is coveting someone else's wife the heart equivalent to adultery. That is to say: adultery springs from the source of covetousness in the heart.

Seriously though, a high maintenance wife is a contradiction in terms. She should be an asset to the home, not a liability; a help to the growth of the family not a hindrance. If she's just eye candy for others, what's the point in having her?
My eye candy is prettier than yours.

Only top eye candies want me, so I'm very attractive.

My status is higher than yours, peon.

I must have missed the exit.

Yeah, but how many eye candies do you have?
My text is explanation for your sentence marked bold:

Same people do find socially useful just to have eye candy.

My text is explanation for your sentence marked bold:

Same people do find socially useful just to have eye candy.
Maybe I understand your post now, let me give it a shot.

If she's just eye candy for others, what's the point in having her?
Their answer would be:

“My eye candy is prettier than yours.”

“Only top eye candies want me, so I'm very attractive.”

“My status is higher than yours, peon.”

Maybe I understand your post now, let me give it a shot.

Their answer would be:

“My eye candy is prettier than yours.”

“Only top eye candies want me, so I'm very attractive.”

“My status is higher than yours, peon.”
Correct.

Your response had looked as if it was something that you were bragging about, which didn’t look good.
Glad that we got that cleared up!😜

I think this modesty business sometimes goes way overboard, and that this verse often isn't relevant. Still, I think there is something good about encouraging modesty.

I don't think a single woman should dress or act in such a manner as to draw undue attention to herself, or to intentionally inflame men's sexual desire.
The main verse that people use to talk about modesty is:

1 Timothy 2:9 NKJV
9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and [a]moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing,

However, this verse, I believe is talking more about not wearing showy, flashy, or costly clothing, when "modest" or less showy clothing will do, as to not draw attention to themselves. The verse has probably been hijacked to mean whatever the church thinks is "modest". For example, forcing women to wear only long dresses, etc.

Back