• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Possible Fall retreat ????

Chaplain

Real Person
Nathan wrote in another post:
"- with nothing on the schedule on the East Coast for the rest of this year, we're already thinking that won't work: too many of us will need our fix before then! We had a quick discussion about meeting in the fall (how does weekend after Thanksgiving work for folks? Done with family at that point?), and perhaps a new location, say... central Alabama? Drop me an email or PM with your thoughts."

If this means the first weekend in December ( Dec 3-5 ) then Chaplains Rose and I would be all for it. Central Alabama would be doable for us, say at a camp ground as y'all have been doing the past few retreats. Heck, I would even be willing to help cook meals ( seeing as how I like to cook ) as well as bring all the makings to make a LARGE pot of REAL Cajun gumbo for everybody.

How about on the lawn of the Capitol Building in Salt Lake City?

;D

Scarecrow said:
How about on the lawn of the Capitol Building in Salt Lake City?

;D
Naw, I just got away from the mormons. No desire at all to go back that way so soon. How 'bout somewhere more centrally located tho'. I really have no desire to drive that far in potentially cold, nasty weather. Not to mention, I've got too many medical bill to afford traveling much distance.

S
Dave

How about a fall retreat here in Ohio? It is absolutley beautiful here this time of the year PLUS it will be closer for us ;) and a few others Faithful Servant and LutheranGirl I nkow live in Michigan and Ohio wouldn't be as far as Alabama. Just a suggestion. Maybe you can give your feed back. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

Perhaps a demographic map could be laid out by the powers that be and regional retreats could be organized…

Greetings & Blessings!

A fall retreat would be Awesome, as the weather can be so pretty at that season! Pumpkin pies, spiced coffee creamers/warm yummy coffee's, beautiful fall leaves, etc! :) I will have to 2nd Ephraims D's suggestion of a Ohio retreat, or possibly in Indiana. As both states are lovely in the fall season. But of course whatever works best for the majority. As another suggestion, it may be good/helpful to map out locations of pm families or those seeking/studying & seeing where different groups could meet up. Meeting up in areas that are somewhat closer & easier for certain groups to get too. Just some extra food for thought. Would love to hear more about the last retreat, and any pictures when there available. :) Take care & God's leading & Blessings!

F.S.

Hi all, we do put a lot of thought into our locations, and I wish we could accommodate everyone's home town/state. While we have members all around the country, for those who are active and make an effort to come to retreats, we do seem to be 'heavy' currently in the Southeast - as far as about Missouri. We will be doing far west retreats this October (Sacramento), and next year (probably Arizona) - but that's pretty expensive for us, as all our staff is located in the Southeast also (Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Mississippi and Missouri. That wasn't intentional - we think it must be a 'Bible Belt' thing!)

The nice thing about our recent North Carolina retreat, is it was pretty centrally located on the East Coast - We had people drive for up to 800 miles from nearly every direction to come. You are going to have to make a travel commitment to be involved at this point - it's unlikely we are coming really close to you. If you are able to do so, it's worth it.

But, please do let us know that you are interested in attending a retreat (and stay involved online in the meantime) - if we get a bunch of requests from a particular general area, we would definitely be giving that some thought for the future. Drop us a note at retreats@biblicalfamilies.org

Also, remember that our retreats are primarily for learning and fellowshipping at this point - we certainly aren't going to be doing any rallying or media-attention events.

Thanks, Nathan

Seeing as how Lacey and myself missed the July retreat and won't be able to attend the October retreat, we would really be interested in a Fall retreat. Please keep us posted.

Lots of families who wanted to make the Branson, Mo retreat in the spring were not able to make it. It is very central to the South but not too far from Ohio/Indiana. Arkansas has beautiful cabin type places to rent probably even cheaper than NC.

Hi everyone,
Hubby and I have wanted to have a mini retreat here at our properties for a long time. We are still trying to get things in order to do it. Our farm is just down the road from our home and we can offer free camping both tent and camper (limited camper space but unlimited tent space). We were thinking it would be a fun weekend of games and contests for both adults and kids of all ages, worship time and visiting. If anyone is interested maybe we can make it a reality, let us know. We are in Georgia south of Atlanta.
We have been busy a lot this last couple years and have not had much time for sleep, friends, etc. We really enjoyed being with our B.F. friends this last retreat and feel like we are a little too out of touch, we want to fix this.

Blessings
Sirena

Ephraim's D said:
How about a fall retreat here in Ohio? It is absolutley beautiful here this time of the year PLUS it will be closer for us ;) and a few others Faithful Servant and LutheranGirl I nkow live in Michigan and Ohio wouldn't be as far as Alabama. Just a suggestion. Maybe you can give your feed back. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

I know that a lot of work goes into putting retreats on just by watching how hard all those involved worked at the one in NC. What a truly awesome job well done! It would be great having one in Michigan, Ohio, or Indiana; however, it seems like there are so few of us this way. If the attendance is too low, it's a lot of work for only a few. In the future, I could rent out our church gym for the weekend (If I don't get booted out of the church for my beliefs of pm, in which if we did have a retreat here, we would have to keep it on the down low). The gym has a wonderfully new renovated kitchen attached and a stage in which I could steal my daughter's electric keyboard and guitar if someone would be willing to play for worship. We have a playground and outside games that could be set up for the children. Gary is quite the grill master, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing some bbq. There is a site called camp Dearborn and several hotels in the area, so this is the down side because people would have to drive back and forth. I could also arrange getting a group rate on tickets for The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village for those wanting to stay an extra day.

Michelle

Michelle, I think that is an awsome idea!

By all the postings, it seems to me that someone should offer their city or home, like Michelle did, and have their own fall retreat. Invite those who you know are near enough around you and then put out a general invite if you think your house can take it. :D You don't have to have an official retreat of BF's to connect with the people on this site. Pray about it and see what God says!

Hope for the future,
Julie

I would love to go to a retreat in Australia. Although, I would need a few years to save up for this. :D

As far as 'tread quietly', it's just that if I were to rent out the church gym; I wouldn't want to announce to the Elders what I was renting it out for. In addition, some of the families aren't ready to share their beliefs. It's more of a respect of people's privacy and others beliefs. I'm not ashamed of what I believe but why ruffle feathers if you don't have to.

Unfortunately, our house isn't big enough to accomodate people staying with us if we were to have a fellowship get together. I looked into camp sites, and the closest one is 25 miles away with no conference room available. That means we would still have to drive back and forth each day to the church hall. Oh, well, I guess I spoke to soon.

Michelle

Hey there Lutherangirl!

Great post, great ideas! Thanks for being willing to take a step out in faith to try to set up a retreat for us. :) Way to get the thinker thinking - LOL! :p We have to start somewhere, right? It all starts with a thought, much prayer, planning and people coming together to help out. As you and many others have shared before, there is allot of work that goes into these retreats. Per our discussion yesterday, there just doesn't seem to be enough families/interest in "our neck of the woods." Which means it would be harder for just a few of us to go all out, and be able to make it worth everyone's time, energy & money to come out our way. But who knows, maybe in time we'll find others in our area that we're just not aware of at the moment. Maybe there are families who are in "the seeking/studying season," and not ready to announce themselves or join BF's just yet. Families that God may bring our way at a later time, according to His plans. As we discussed and as Julieb mentioned, we could just do our own thing, on a smaller scale with the people we are aware of that are closer to us. We could have a smaller/more informal time of fellowship, prayer & praise. Ya know the whole "networking thing," but on a Godly/Compassionate level. Maybe just for a dinner out and then out to a nice park for the fellowship, etc. Then if God see's fit, He'll grow our group & take it where He thinks it all needs to go. ;) Just some extra food for thought, along the same lines you were thinking. Something to keep lifted in prayer anyways. Still looking forward to hearing more testimonies, and seeing any pictures of the last retreat as soon as time & energy permits! :lol: Thanks to all who lovingly step out in faith, & work so hard to bless & encourage us with these wonderful retreats! I'm prayerfully looking forward to the day that the good Lord see's fit to provide us with a way to attend one in the future! God's Peace. :)

F.S.

P.S. Luv ya Michelle, Prayers & Hugs!

Back