• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Practicing or Just Curious?

JTM

We are fairly new to the Biblical Families site. After signing up last month we have only recently had the time to begin exploring the community.

As we were doing so, we started to wonder what percentage of folks here are practicing, what percentage are simply curious, and what percentage of folks look at this purely as an intellectual type endeavor.

Please share.

Thanks!

JTM

Hi JTM, there's a fourth category, which I think is probably the largest contingent here at Biblical Families: those who have gained an understanding of the Biblical truth of plural marriage, recognize the fundamental changes for our lives that come with this and have even paid some price in their lives for it, but are currently waiting on God to provide His growth in their families. Without these folks, there wouldn't be nearly as much traffic here, and retreats would be a lot smaller. Or as they are referred to elsewhere in the forums: "practicing polygamists who happen to have one (or no) wife in their family currently".

I think the 'curious', without at least some revelation on the matter, don't tend to spend much time here, though I'm sure there's some on our mailing list.

Nathan

Hi JTM,

I am one of those in the 'fourth turning'. Former Assembies of God pastor and missionary, serving full time in the pulpit for more than twelve years, with missions service in Liberia, Honduras, Jamaica and Bonaire. Also working in Christian radio for more than a decade.

I came to an understanding about the same time as you, similar issues regarding the Florida Marriage Amendment. I was challenged by a local pastor to show him where "one man-one woman" was in the Bible. As you have guessed already, I couldn't find it. From that point on, everything changed.

The revelation of this truth eventually had an impact on my ministry, my friendships, my family, and my marriage. I am now open about my beliefs, with the support of a great bunch of BF friends, a couple of understanding kids, a career that allows me to minister to the Biblical Families community.....but also divorced.

Would I do it again? YES! Because TRUTH IS TRUTH.

So what does that mean for me? It means that I have to listen to the Holy Spirit and trust Him and His Word now more than ever.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Hello JTM! I would also be interested to know percentages. If you're just trying to see how many families on here are actively living PM...we are one of them although I'm the only one in our family who posts on here. We're fairly new to it - only living it out for 5 months.

Duelingbanjos - I didn't realize that was your story. Did your wife divorce you for your belief in PM?

Ahh, here we gooooo! DW and I are here to learn, so a bit curious as we have discussed the issue for several years now, her bringing the plate to my table thus starting this journey. My failures have been rushing into a dating situation without the proper education on the matter at hand and ignoring the age old equally yoked rule, thank God we found this site....

Hi I am a second wife,

I am curious Doc about that pastor who challenged you on the Florida Marriage amendment definition. Is he on here? What happened to him on this issue?

My family is practicing. My SW and I lost our husband to cancer almost 6 months ago. I am in a unique situation among this group of wonderful community of Christian believers. I have greatly enjoyed and been encouraged by the knowledge that others are believing and practicing plural marriage.

I am a secret believer in biblical marriage but not practising.

Secret because in my country believers are persecuted and would pay a heavy price. The consequences of practising biblical marriage might include:
. Arrest and imprisonment
. Forced removal of children
. Termination of employment and business
. Rejection by family and relatives
. Social isolation

Apparently in some places of the world, believers are free to practice their faith, places like Uganda or Zambia. The irony of this is palpable...

I think our family would fall into the fourth category that Nathan mentioned. We have sought Truth in the Word and have found that biblical prural marriage is truth. We dearly love the brothers and sisters we have met through Biblical Families and consider them to be some of our best friends. We just aren't seeking PM for ourselves. I think we all need each other no matter what category we fall into. It's great for me as an individual to be in a support role and be accepted by the wives even though I don't live the same as them. I've also been told by wives that they appreciate having a friend who accepts them for their non-traditional famiily even though I don't live it.

I am a secret believer in biblical marriage but not practising.

If I've understood your previous posts, I thing you mean that you're a secret believer in PM and not practicing it. I would hope that you practice a Biblical marriage with any number of wives you might have. :)

Dave

I'm a practicing first wife... with the emphasis on practicing! It takes alot of practice to get PM right!
Don’t practice. Just do it!!!
Practice implies that you may quit if you get tired or it gets to hard. Hang in there. Love without regret. Open your heart and mind. Always want for them what you want for yourself and put Yah and his word in all that you do. When aggravations come, ask what would Yah say about this situation. Have patience and a willing heart to forgive 70x7.

I am in the third category, the analytical one, wondering why most people, and most women, seem hostile to polygamy.
They are hostile because of lack of knowledge. Yah said, “my people fail for lack of knowledge”. They were also raised in this selfish world that teaches us to have our own “everything “. Have your own house, your own car, your own garden, your own everything and that includes their own man. They are more willing to forgive their husband for cheating than to live in peace in polygany. They would prefer to have someone to be mad at than to have another person to love and gleam from.
This is just my opinion of what I have seen.
Love is universal. That all anyone really wants is someone to love and to feel safe. There is safety in numbers.😂

We are believers inPM. We have done it and are looking to do it again. I support whatever works for every family. I just hate to hear people try to argue that it is against TMH and his laws but can’t prove it with the word. If everyone would take a “live and let live” approach to life, the world would be a better place. I also believe more people who want it would have it without fear.

Back