• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Praying in tongues...

Scarecrow

I have spent a lot of time studying many different Christian teachers and prophets. The first time I heard one of them talking about praying in tongues I assumed that it was the same thing as the gift of speaking in tongues that comes from the Holy Spirit. This person mentioned that he had prayed in tongues for an hour or more every day for about a year and then one time as he was praying he was suddenly taken in the spirit to heaven. He went on to describe his experience and it was rather amazing. Then at another time I came across yet another person talking about this very thing. He was a teacher and woke up at 3 AM to pray until 6 AM in tongues before he got ready to go teach at the local school. He decided to dedicate two days, praying for 12 hours each day, to praying in tongues. He said that at the end of the second day he was taken in the spirit to heaven. He described his experience which was somewhat similar to the first one I mentioned and also fascinating. Then later I came across yet another person speaking about this. This man said that he had started praying in tongues for three hours every day, and that after three months he too was taken in the spirit to heaven. Up until this point I had been kind of stand-offish toward this somewhat unusual thing called praying in tongues as it was new to me, but after hearing three independent testimonies about it I decided to investigate it further as I came across more information about it. I find many of the shows that Sid Roth hosts to be very interesting, and on one of his shows he explained how he started praying in tongues. This was now the fourth person I had heard talking about praying in tongues. So...my investigation began.

When we accept Yeshua as our Lord and savior we receive the Holy Spirit and the ability to pray in tongues. Receiving the Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit coming to dwell within us and is not the same as the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is our helper and leads and guides us. When we receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit will "pour out" of us and the gifts of the Holy Spirit will be manifested.

There are two purposes for speaking in unknown tongues. 1) To give the gospel to an unbeliever in their native language, this was seen at Pentecost in the book of Acts. 2) To edify the church/congregation as long as there is interpretation available.

There are also two purposes to praying in tongues. 1) To edify your spirit. 2) To build your faith.

Praying in tongues is praying from our spirit, with the help, leading, and guidance of the Holy Spirit, directly to the spirit of God according to His will. Prayer, when done correctly, is a form of worship.

Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? Even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Rom 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

1Jn 5:14-15 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

I used Google to research praying in tongues and was surprised to see "Christians" saying negative things about it. It saddened me to think that because they did not BELIEVE praying in tongues was an activity that Christians should participate in that they were depriving themselves and others that trusted their opinions of the benefits of praying in tongues. The one thing I did see that concerned me was that some thought that praying in tongues was praying by or through a "Familiar Spirit". This concern was quickly overcome when I realized that while praying in tongues you could invoke the name Yahweh, Yeshua, or Ruach to prove to yourself that it is not a familiar spirit, as a familiar spirit would never call upon those names in prayer.

Remembering how Sid Roth said he started praying in tongues, I waited until everyone was asleep and the house was quiet. I went to the living room and sat on the couch and got relaxed and comfortable. I closed my eyes and pictured Yeshua in my mind and began saying la la la la la la la la and just kept my focus on Yeshua. All the sudden some other words started coming out and I immediately tried to control them and it stopped. I realized that was the wrong thing to do and started over. Again other words began to come out and I just kept my focus on Yeshua. I had decided to pray for at least an hour, but wondered how a person could actually spend that much time praying in tongues. It felt somewhat clumsy at first, like riding a bicycle for the first time without training wheels. I continued this practice every evening and after a few days the attacks came. Satan was not very happy that I had learned to pray in tongues. A lot of negative thoughts tried to creep in as I would pray "You're just making up these words, you're not really praying." and many other negative thoughts. I brushed them aside and continued praying every night. After only a week of doing this I started having and remembering very vivid dreams. Then came the second wave of the attack, the misinterpretation of the dreams. Thoughts came to me about some of the dreams and I should have realized that they were not from God. The first time this happened I struggled badly for three days before realizing my error. I actually stopped praying in tongues because of this, but then the next day started again. A week later another attack on my dreams and this time in less than two days I overcame it. The third such attack didn't have much effect on me and within an hour of having an incorrect thought I overcame it. My dreams have not been attacked since, and have become very common, often two or three in one night.

I have kept a diary of sorts of my dreams as a Wordpad document on my PC and add to it frequently. I also add to the dreams when I receive revelation into to their meaning. These dreams come in many varieties and are personal, about others, and even prophetic in nature at times. Recently I was in a church that teaches in a language that I do not know. When they were singing or praying in their language I prayed in tongues quietly, not wanting them to think I was speaking in an unknown tongue. Near the end of the service I had a vision that lasted for just a second. This little church would be capable of holding 200 to 300 people and only about 30 were there. I saw the church full, standing room only. I told the pastor after the service what I had been shown and told him he didn't have enough chairs. As would be expected he was very happy to hear about my vision. Every day I feel like I am being drawn closer and closer to God because of the time I am spending praying in tongues.

The highest honor we can achieve in the coming kingdom is to be called a friend of Yahweh. How do you become a friend to someone? You spend time with them. My daily routine includes about 90 minutes in the morning praying scriptures and prayers I have compiled and personalized; then in the evening I spend 30 minutes or more reading scripture after which I spend an hour or more praying in tongues. I don't say this to boast, but only to give an example of how easy it is to spend three hours a day or more with the Lord. How much time do people waste on Facebook, other internet interests, movies, shopping, etc... how much of that time could be spent building a personal relationship with the one and true living God?

If you have any concerns or reservations about praying in tongues, you now have my personal testimony as well as that of the others I spoke of. I would highly recommend that you learn to pray in tongues and spend a minimum of an hour a day doing so, you will not regret it.

Hello! Fellow tongue talker here. I appreciate this post, especially as a reminder to utilize a gift that I've been given.

I do have some difficulty reconciling the statement that

When we accept Yeshua as our Lord and savior we receive the Holy Spirit and the ability to pray in tongues.

with 1 Cor 12 :
27Now you are the body of Christ, and each of you is a member of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, and those with gifts of healing, helping, administration, and various tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?

It seems to me that his rapid fire questions starting in verse 29 are all rhetorical questions whose answer is 'no'.

I agree that the gift of tongues may very well be widely available, but I don't see that scripture teaches that every last believer has the ability.

I think that, for whatever reason, the Father has reserved some people whom may only say what they understand.

Hello! Fellow tongue talker here. I appreciate this post, especially as a reminder to utilize a gift that I've been given.

I do have some difficulty reconciling the statement that...

...the gift of tongues...

That is because there is a very distinct difference between Praying in tongues, and speaking in unknown tongues - please reread my original post carefully and you will see the distinctions I explained. Praying in tongues is NOT a "gift" of the Holy Spirit, it is a package deal like buying a car and getting a steering wheel. The GIFT of speaking in unknown tongues is just that, one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit that we can receive once we have received the BAPTISM of the Holy Spirit.

Boom shock-a-lock ah! ... that wasn't tongues, just a celebratory word my kids have taught me! ... I use it now to celebrate as I see others using this edifying tool the Lord allows us to use ...praying in TONGUES!!!

Blessings homies!

Weyelllll.... ok.

Rom 8:26... I think is being misused here. The text says that the Spirit intercedes for us with "not-spoken groanings". Whereas if you are speaking the words yourself, whether you understand the words or not, you are very much still speaking them. Or uttering them as the case may be. The Spirit in Romans 8:26 is interceding for us, quite separately from our will or vocal chords. Unless somehow the Holy Spirit only begins interceding for a person after they become aware of His existance in this matter and begins closing their eyes and saying "la la la" so that He may begin His intercessory ministry?

The only time I'm aware of praying in tongues being discussed in scripture (as in the words "Praying in tongues" actually being used) is in a verse that you did not mention. In 1 Cor 14:13-14 praying in tongues is mentioned as part of his teaching on speaking of tongues, which is very much understood in this context as a Spiritual gift.

@Scarecrow, I really like how you divide this into speaking in tongues and praying in tongues, the two do need to be considered separately. But I echo many of Slumberfreeze's concerns.

Speaking in tongues is certainly a gift for certain individuals, not everyone, to further the work of the Kingdom in specific ways, as per 1 Cor 12. It is very real, and involves real languages.

Praying in tongues is something I just can't find clearly explained in scripture. The only verses are 1 Co 14:14, which mentions praying in tongues exists but doesn't explain what this is (whether a way of particular individuals using the gift of speaking in tongues, or something else), and Romans 8:26, which is very ambiguous and may not be about this at all. There is an enormous amount of teaching about praying in tongues, a lot of people who do it, heaps of positive testimony which I cannot in any way refute nor would I want to - yet personally, because I still can't see it clearly explained in scripture, I remain very cautious. The teaching on it seems to be mainly people quoting their own experiences and the words of others, rarely scripture, since scripture is almost silent. And there is obvious danger in that, many heresies can be entered into where scripture is silent. So I remain cautious. If anyone can show me that I need not have this attitude, I'm very open to learning.

Laughing in the Spirit, Barking in the Spirit, Falling over as dead in the Spirit, Praying in tongues

I lean entirely on Scripture for explicit guidelines, then implicit guidelines (if none exist). After this, I guess everything falls under liberty. You are at liberty to do as you please in these matters, but not at liberty to call it scriptural...just a preference.

That's my $0.02

Experience: Tongues (feels funny to type it) has been an encouraging and useful a part of my life & connection with what God is doing. When I'm praying that way, I feel (and know) God is doing something, and I'm a part of it, but I don't know what it is - and that's ok. Apparently I'm on a need-to-know basis (and I don't need to know) - but me being involved via tongues is somehow useful to me, God, and whatever it is I'm praying for. Just my experience.

Theology: Teaching I've heard has seemed solid but that was many years ago and haven't re-analyzed it since.

I'm not sure how you have a theology on something mentioned in scripture at best only once. Don't you need two or three witnesses (verses, narratives, decrees, laws, examples)?

Please help me.

I'm not a tongues talker myself. I grew up around it but its not my gifting. Its a real thing though and Paul regulates it (and did it) so we do have to accept it.

I'm not a tongues talker myself. I grew up around it but its not my gifting. Its a real thing though and Paul regulates it (and did it) so we do have to accept it.
The specific issue is "Praying" in tongues.

If a rose by any other name is still a rose, does that make a cactus a rose if you call it that?
It seems to me the issue at hand becomes the defining of a thing, or making sure that what you are doing is what Paul is talking about when he's mentioning speaking or praying in tongues. Paul also mentions avoiding 'vain and profane babbling'. The times when I have been present for either speaking or praying in tongues, it appeared to me to fall into the category of vain (because the only positive result was the edification of self) & profane (because it claimed divine origin for the justification of self-edification) babbling (self-evident). I am categorically a believer in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, in any believer at any time the Spirit chooses to manifest His Power. However, I find the spectacle of those claiming the gifts to be akin to the story of the Emperors clothes.
I once had a painter working on one of my jobs who was a self described 'Bapticostal'. Nice guy, we got along great. One day while discussing our differing beliefs, he was telling me of his experiences of and with both speaking and praying in tongues. He related to me how most days he would 'practice' praying in tongues for an hour or so, and that it was a regular occurrence in his life to speak in tongues. About 20 minutes later, he was describing a missions trip to Belize with me and telling me of his experiences there. One day he was preaching on the street corner and the cadets from the local police academy came by on PT. The sergeant brought the men over and asked him to preach to them. He proceeded to do so and they all received Christ at the end of the message. The interesting thing to me was that he required the assistance of an interpreter to communicate with them. To me, this was an oxymoron for someone who was so filled with the Spirit on a regular basis and proficient in spiritual tongues. As I thought about it later that day, I wished I had thought to ask him, Why did you need an interpreter? Why didn't you just speak in tongues to them the Gospel? If what he called speaking in tongues was real, wouldn't they have understood the Gospel just the same as through an interpreter or even clearer? To me, it was the real life embodiment of conditions found in the New Testament where the Gifts of Tongues were manifested. The Gospel penetrating new regions by people who were uneducated in the native languages and yet are communicating the Gospel fluently.
In my opinion, what today is associated with speaking in tongues is far removed from the reality that I see mentioned in Scripture and follows none of Paul's guidelines for doing so. It has a perfume, but doesn't smell like a rose, it has pricklies, but they aren't considered thorns (spines), it has a flower but you don't wanna bring it home to mama. While not trying to be offensive, I have to call 'em as I see 'em. Smells like dead flies in cactus ointment to me!

I wasn't going to get involved with this one but I couldn't help myself.

This is a very simple issue. It is clearly spelled out in 1 Corinthians 14:1-33. There is clearly a spiritual language that the hearers can not understand (v. 6-11) and it clearly has positive effect on the speaker (v.4) and Paul used this spiritual language a lot (v.18) and that it may even be available to all believers but is not required of all believers (v.5). It is also equally clear that this spiritual language can be a detriment to evangelism (v.23) and it is only to be used in the congregation if it is spoken one at a time, no more than three times per service and must be accompanied by an interpretation and then it will carry the weight of prophesy (v. 27-29).

This means that both sides in this debate are usually wrong. Those who forbid it or deny that it is of God must ignore scripture's clear endorsement of unknown tongues that require an interpretation.

Likewise, Pentecostals and their various off shoots must ignore God's clear commands on how this language is to be employed and what it signifies. This is another time when we steadfastly refuse to take God's Word at face value and are determined to read our own biases into it.

This is an instance where we monogamists could apply the lessons of polygyny in our lives. By simply looking at this issue the same way we've looked at polygyny we could all come to a clear and easy answer.

Yes its real. Yes its for our time. No we're not doing it right.

I agree with your sentiments, and it mirrors my own in that it is scriptural to say it exists, but interpretation MUST accompany it. But how often do we see that? At Pentecost, the tongues were known languages, not the tongues of angels. There were definite interpreters there.

But what of the tongues of angels and heavenly utterings? How do we ensure the veracity of interpretation? If you believe all scripture is given by inspiration, and it is a completed revelation, then no matter what the tongue means, it wouldn't violate given revelation, so why seek something new in it? Why not concentrate on studying scripture? It is our surest form of heavenly utterings.

We non-Charismatic/Pentacostals are accused of limiting the Spirit of God by being wary of "tongues". But we are called to be wise as serpents, and judge (test the spirits to see whether they be of God). Without an interpreter, we becoming clanging cymbals and draw attention to ourselves, without anyone's edification but our own (not appropriate for a corporate assembly IMO).

But....that's not the issue in this post!!!!

It's a separate question about "Praying in tongues".....NOT "Speaking in tongues". It's why I questioned how a whole theology/doctrine could be developed on it...it's essentially absent from scripture.

Praying in tongues would ( I suppose) be a private enterprise, so an interpreter in a corporate assembly would not be an issue. So, if the person praying can't understand his own groanings, and nobody is there to interpret, what would be the purpose?

Paul was pretty clear that it edified the one praying and that he did it and he wished everyone would. So there must be a point.

I do not pray in tongues and I don't seek to but in order to be intellectually honest we have to accept it, if it's done in accordance with scripture.

in order to be intellectually honest we have to accept it, if it's done in accordance with scripture.

This is my main issue with all this, (who, what, where, why, when, how) but I will bow out now lest I offend some...which is never my mission.

Zec is right, it is usually done wrong.
But privately speaking to YHWH in an unknown toungue is unregulated as far as I can tell.
It's not magic, I cannot use it to arbitrarily talk to someone in their own language.
One time, though, I was praying over a man who had come forward at an alter call for prayer in Juarez. There was a lot of out loud praying going on and my mind was empty, so I just slipped into tongues and interceded for him.
After it was over his friend came to me and asked me if I had known what I was praying. I told him that I didn't know. He proceeded to let me know that I had been praying in Italian, he told me what some of it meant. I found that very interesting.

Addendum: I pray in tongues, privately, a lot more than I used to.
Life has become more complicated and I find that I can talk to YHWH without putting my own spin on it. Yes, I pray with understanding also, but it always seems to have more of an agenda, my agenda. Only when I am praying in tongues do I really feel that I can set my desires aside and give it all to Him.
I won't argue it theologically, but I totally believe that it is available to all believers

Last edited:
Back