• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Pregnancy advice

Rebecca

Female
Hey all, I've been experiencing a few odd things lately and I had a few questions if anyone would like to share some of their pregnancy advice with me.

Note: I dont have any family to speak to, and I am extremely opposed to going to a hospital or a doctor's office...and I dont have insurance anyway.

So I believe we became pregnant in February, and I bought a bunch of tests and all of them showed negative, but all signs and symptoms are there for pregnancy. This would be my second baby, and I had an early miscarriage in January. So, by my calculations i could be roughly 16-18 weeks. My question is body related. I have a much bigger bump than the first time, but it doesnt feel hard like a uterus bulge. Just feels like flab, but when I stand up, i heavily stick out, like maybe I'm carrying high.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

I am not keen on going to a Dr all the time, I have had nine healthy pregnancies and I did my own prenatal care o them, but I would reccomend you figure out what's going on soon, to your own satisfaction even if that means going for tests or ultrasound.

Are pregnancy tests still negative?
If they are, you could have a growth that is not a baby. You would be better off finding out sooner then later.

I started spotting when pregnant once and the midwife I talked to said go for an ultrasound and see if the pregnancy is viable. The ultrasound showed the baby's development had stopped about 5 weeks before. This let me know to let the miscarriage happen, not try to keep a baby that was already gone, and also spared me feelings of guilt over perhaps "overdoing it" in the days prior to the spotting.

There was another time prior to this that I went for an ultrasound. I called a midwife because at 19 weeks I was measuring pretty big. I suspected twins.
She told me she thought I might have developed uterine fibroids, and suggested the ultrasound. It ruled out twins, and confirmed triplet boys!
As it turned out we only got them for a short while, and they passed at about 26 weeks. Hubby told our little boy when we came home from the hospital birth without them that "God must have wanted three little boys like you up there with Him."
That understanding satisfied his young mind....and our hearts.

I hope you get things figured out. Let us know what you find out!

It's possible you're having complications from your miscarriage. Infection from an incomplete clean out. Do you feel sick? Pain? Nasty discharge? May be not draining properly either.

This could be a case you should see someone. I too use a midwife and I birth at home. I dislike hospitals and docs with a passion.

No ma'am, no sickness besides a bit of food aversion. I had bad morning sickness with my first, but I haven't had any vomiting this time around. Over the last 2 weeks I have been experiencing back pain, and I attributed that to early weight gain. I am a petite lady, only 4'10. No discharge or smell either. I tested positive in January and then began bleeding about few weeks later, so it was a very early termination. And I did have another cycle in mid February and everything seemed normal, no lighter or heavier than usual.

Do you know how to measure your fundal height? That would give a good indication of whether your bump size is right for you, being short and all.
Have you had a positive test for this pregnancy? And when did you last do a test, how many weeks-ish would you have been?

Last edited:
No, I took a bunch of tests over 3 weeks after my missed cycle in March. So I took the tests mid March into early April and all were negative. So i thought that perhaps i was not, but its maybe irregular. Then i began getting a few cravings, aversions, nausea, bowel irregularity. Still no cycle or anything abnormal. I began getting headaches and lots of fatigue too, which I was familiar with from my first, and then extreme sore and tender breasts and I figured it must be pregnancy. At the end of April beginning of May, I began to develop a little lower tummy pooch which has gotten considerably bigger over the last 5 weeks to the point were I look obviously pregnant. My concern with this is that my stomache is still pretty squishy and not hardened like I would have expected. Perhaps it will get there and I'm worrying? I will look up how to measure fundal height, as I'm unsure how, and get back to you.

Expected a period somewhere between February 28th through March 6th. Mine are sometimes 5 weeks instead of 4. Also, I lost my tape measure :mad: but I can feel my uterus underneath my navel. Doesn't hurt to press on, just seems low. I'm guessing at how many weeks i could possibly be, so maybe it is too soon too tell.

I did have a little bleeding right before valentines day I remember that. When I was expecting to get a period on the 28th. It didn't last long, and I figured my body was a little out of whack from January. It was normal flow, but lasted i think 2 days if i remember right. The one at the end of January lasted a full week (6 days is my norm), and so i still expected a normal cycle at the end of the month or into March. I waited until roughly 2 weeks into March before testing. Just to clarify.

February 28th puts you at a maximum of 15 weeks. I suspect that you had a messy cycle after your miscarriage, and you ovulated late. I'd put you at more 12-13 weeks, maybe even earlier. You won't be able to feel your fundus above your pubic bone until after 12 weeks, so it's probably quite low at the moment.
I suspect that the large stomach that you have is actually bloating, which is very common in the first trimester. The back pain can also be common in pregnancy, but is something to watch, especially if it gets worse quickly.
Does that all fit and make sense?

I’ll be 14 weeks tomorrow and my uterus is currently midway between my pubic bone and belly button.
My stomach as a whole is not firm yet because the uterus is still so small even though I definitely a baby bump. (This is my third so my body knows what to do) But my uterus is getting big enough that laying on my stomach on a harder surface is getting uncomfortable as well as other things that puts direct pressure on my lower stomach.

That definitely calms my nerves and all makes sense. I think perhaps I was overreacting and nervous hoping that everything was okay. I had the episode in January, and have been unsuccessful in the last 3 years. Thanks everyone for your advice and I will keep everything in mind! Although, I have to say this may be a good lesson to remember that worrying makes things worse and to remember that God is bigger than our problems. God bless you ladies!!

Are you planning on having a midwife or have an unassisted birth?

I would prefer a midwife. We've been struggling here lately with jobs and so, lack of insurance, but I did find a midwife that has her own establishment that isn't through the hospital. God willing, I would go that route. My only child birth experience was torture at a hospital and they ended up deciding a c-sec after causing all kinds of problems they couldn't undo...so also praying that a midwife would take me into her care.

A lot of times midwives will work with you and work out a payment plan that works for you. I hope that you can establish care and be comfortable with and have a safe home birth :)

Back