• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Promoting polygamy: a different approach

If the OP is saying that plural marriage may be market driven, that may be correct. However, to assume that the "upper class" is more intelligent and capable of sustaining polygamy, is a failure of evidence. What passes for polygamy among the "upper class" is generally nothing more than immorality that is ignored by their society. A rich man keeping a mistress on the side is being foolish and irresponsible. Taking a second wife and owning the relationship is Biblical, plural marriage. A sex toy in a townhouse does not constitute Biblical relationship of any kind!

I would like to point out that there may be other considerations for polygamy other than wealth. For instance, the Muslim faith is being promulgated because of a rise in their general birth population, not by conversions. Likewise, the Mormons in the 1800s were able to gain a significant stronghold in many areas because of its adherence to polygamy and its subsequent elevated production of children and heirs.

Not advocating 'multiplication' for the sake of faith....just pointing it out.

Doc

Good point Doc.

In fact, I am moderately confident that in the political realm Islam will defeat Christianity simply through demographics.

I mean, the conquest of Europe is almost a foregone conclusion.

Regards,

ylop

Perhaps Enchanted was a bit misunderstood. There is some truth to a correlation between wealth and education. Mostly in the negative sense, because in some cases more education in our society is enabled by more wealth. That said, there are many exceptions to that rule, and those without great resources that educate themselves are usually brighter and stronger for the effort. As an educator, I can also state that education does not equal intelligence.

But beyond those things, the humans that should reproduce in greater numbers are those that have a “stew” of good things to pass on. Good health and longevity come to mind. In addition they should have the ability to raise good human beings. That includes basic standards for a child’s environment, things like adequate food, appropriate clothing, expectations for certain standards, and most of all the ability to love each of those children as the unique creations they are. IMHO Sister wives in every class of society can only enhance that process.

Those important things are not associated with a particular zip code, or income category. As Christians we are expected to assist children and their parents to meet the basic requirements of growing to responsible adulthood. Plural marriage is a system that can help, but is only as effective as those that are sharing in it

Thank you to some of you for your support, so I will put my head above the parapet again. I now see that my remarks about groups of girl buccaneers offering themselves as harems to rich upper class men may have caused offence, but I assure you that offence was not intended. Any man knows that women do consider the income prospects of a suitor. As a young man I was irritated by this, but I realised at the time that bills have to be paid, so a young woman has to size up a suitor with income in mind. This is not meant as a criticism. I now suspect that some mothers tell their daughters that they have a duty to marry for money. Again, I do not mean this as a criticism. In Regency England a gentleman ‘worth two thousand a year’ would be a good catch, especially if the income were from land or investments.

Diener made the point that intelligence and capability are not the only things that God cares about. Of course, but God expects us to look after our society and not rely on Providence.

Diener also made the point about the disastrous effect existing divorce legislation would have on the fortune of a rich, polygamous man. I am taking a purely secular approach to polygamy. Existing divorce legislation applies only to monogamy, polygamy being illegal. I suggest that divorce legislation for polygamy should be different, and there is no need to change divorce legislation for monogamy. I see divorce legislation for polygamy specifying modest limits on a lump sum a wife can claim, no matter how rich the husband.

Cecil W quoted a Chinese saying about soil to soil in three generations, echoing our own saying about rags to riches to rags in three generations. True of course, but some upper class families do succeed in retaining their wealth generation after generation.

If polygamy becomes legal, then I say again that I see no need for a judge somewhere at the top of society dictating which man becomes polygamous and which man not. Women will judge which men are to be polygamous, and I expect that where polygamy is legal, then there will be cases where several Jills decide that a particular Jack will be polygamous. Women can earn good money today, but even in monogamous marriages there can be difficulty in both husband and wife securing stable, well paid incomes in the town they live in. This difficulty gets more noticeable for polygamous marriages.

Hi EL.

Thanks for popping over the parapet with a follow up post.

To my view, polygamy has traditionally been the domain of the rich and powerful. That can be seen in the biblical record and in secular history. Men need to be strong in order to attract and retain additional women. There are of course exceptions to this rule and unique circumstances, but it remains a general rule.

It is a truth that appears to be uncomfortable for some, but to deny it borders on delusional.

ylop

Thankyou, ylop, for a wake up call. Your statement that polygamous men have to attract and retain women needed saying. One way, perhaps among others, to attract and retain women is ownership of property, or a large reliable income from employment. Many property owners will have inherited their wealth, but simply being sensible enough to hold on to, and perhaps increase, your property, is an achievement. Many cannot do even this.

I have finally understood your pen name, ylop. Took a while.

EnchantedLife said:
I have finally understood your pen name, ylop. Took a while.

*grin* That's what you get for being too "forward thinking", there in the outback! :lol:

We should look at what the failed marriages are saying to people around us? In the last several months I have seen many people think they are righteous show only thierbad sides to the world. it only take a few bad apples to ruin a bushel.

Titles...I've been given many, most I won't repeat in church.. :eek:
Anyway, blood pressure jumped up at reading the first post. That is an elitist idea that won't work. Most persons I have met in the upper class world arrived there by connections...ie family/friends etc, few made it on there own. Most of them can't survive in the"real" world from what I see.But, know some who could lose everything today and have money to blow in a year, but they are rare. Many very intelligent people have in affect taken a vow of poverty and spent there lives helping others with there skills instead of going after the money. All are equal in God's eyes...that's my fifth of a dime. Shalom ya'll

Fairlight said:
EnchantedLife said:
The upper class is the most capable and most intelligent class in society. If the upper class has more children than other classes, ability and intelligence in society will improve generation after generation.

I find your hypothesis very flawed. What source are you basing ^^^this opinion on?

I agree with Fairlight, and would like to challenge the intellectual and logical capabilities of someone who utters such foolishness. Jesus Christ was God in the flesh and ultimately wise, so your theory has no credibility at all. Not intending to jab my dear brothers who are more financially blessed, but I have given my life to God for His glory and in the process have intentionally left worldly belongings behind. If I had a billion dollars it would not make more more intelligent. Any idiot can win the lottery, and many are born rich while being lazy and lacking intelligence.

Back