• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Public Opinion - Tipping Point lower than you might think!

ylop

Real Person*
Hi there. I just spotted some research on influencing public opinion - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110725190044.htm#.TjNkuS-VBMk.facebook.

Scientists at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute have found that when just 10 percent of the population holds an unshakable belief, their belief will always be adopted by the majority of the society.

So obtaining public support or at least decriminalisation may be closer than we thought.

Just 10% with unshakable belief, how hard could that be :?:

ylop

Re: Public Opinion - Tipping Point lower than you might thin

I have noticed that lately the comments tend to be more of "It's not for me, but if it works for you go for it." Maybe we are almost there.

I think the challenge by Kody Brown in Utah will prove interesting and will likely be the hinge of the tipping point. There is also the trial of Wendell Nielsen in Texas which will be important. AND the challenge to the information obtained by the illegal raid in Texas (not that I agree with what Warren Jeffs has done, but that the government cannot act on unverified reports of criminal activity or they could have anyone call them about anything and use that as an excuse to raid anyone, anything, anywhere anytime for any reason without actual probable cause). If the Supreme Court rules that the information obtained in that Texas raid was legally obtained we are all in a lot of trouble because we would then be living in a Police State.

Scarecrow said:
we would then be living in a Police State.
Siberia really IS looking better and better! ;)

Siberia is part of Russia which is a Police State. It won't be long and Big Brother will be inescapable, then the real fun begins.

Scarecrow said:
Siberia is part of Russia which is a Police State. It won't be long and Big Brother will be inescapable, then the real fun begins.
Yabut it's big and remote enough that they don't police it WELL!

Hmmm. Alaska? Eastern Oregon?

Are there reliable records of estimated polygamous households in the US over the last 100 years? If the estimated number of polygamous households is rising more quickly than monogamous households, then polygamy is becoming more accepted.

Scarecrow said:
I have noticed that lately the comments tend to be more of "It's not for me, but if it works for you go for it." Maybe we are almost there.

I think the challenge by Kody Brown in Utah will prove interesting and will likely be the hinge of the tipping point. There is also the trial of Wendell Nielsen in Texas which will be important. AND the challenge to the information obtained by the illegal raid in Texas (not that I agree with what Warren Jeffs has done, but that the government cannot act on unverified reports of criminal activity or they could have anyone call them about anything and use that as an excuse to raid anyone, anything, anywhere anytime for any reason without actual probable cause). If the Supreme Court rules that the information obtained in that Texas raid was legally obtained we are all in a lot of trouble because we would then be living in a Police State.
Just maybe its already started...lol

and that would be my personal opinion. It is not a lifestyle that I feel I would be able to navagate very well, however, I think it's pretty hypocritical for the government to allow media to do whatever they want because of "freedom of the press" and yet those like the Browns have to take drastic measures to avoid prosecution and prision and have no right to claim "freedom of religion" even though both are our rights according to the US constution.
But then again, America in particular has been opposed to plural marriage since day one.

DMetzger said:
But then again, America in particular has been opposed to plural marriage since day one.

Well, actually, since the Mormon experiment got crosswise of the Victorian age. Seems like I remember instances of it previous to that in America's history that were not so violently persecuted.

But good observations and logic.

Welcome, btw. ;)

True; there was a time when it was acceptable.

Scarecrow said:
the government cannot act on unverified reports of criminal activity or they could have anyone call them about anything and use that as an excuse

I'm going to start with the disclaimer: "I'm not trying to be a brat here" :D .......BUT...an accusation can't always be verified until it is investigated. This is especially true with allegations of child abuse. Various governmental agencies will act on allegations alone in such cases and launch an investigation to see if the initial accusation is founded. While this has been the case for years now, rigorous investigation of abuse allegations is comparatively new. There was a time when no one spoke of child abuse, much less, investigated it.

Blessings,
Fairlight

CecilW said:
DMetzger said:

Well, actually, since the Mormon experiment got crosswise of the Victorian age. Seems like I remember instances of it previous to that in America's history that were not so violently persecuted.

But good observations and logic.

Welcome, btw. ;)
True this! That's what I meant, I guess I should say what I mean rather than trying to be quick.:D Thank you for the welcome btw

"True; there was a time when it was acceptable."

Actually in North America it had been acceptable since the beginning of time. The Native Americans practiced polygyny and had for centuries. It was only in the mid 1800s when the United States government wandered into our bedrooms and decided that it was illegal.

http://www.biblicalfamilies.org/doc/His ... e-1869.pdf

Read page 9...it will break your heart what the "righteous" Christians did.

Back