• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Putting God in a Box

truthfinder1967

Good evening again Brothers and Sisters,

A strange title to start this post off for sure, but think about the meaning of that statement for a moment. What exactly does putting God in a box mean? To many they may have many reasons, but from my stand point with this post I am will try and illuminate that many in society and our fellow Christians try and put limits of the all mighty. God is infinite, in all aspects of his existence, God has no limits and any attempt to place limits on him is to take away from his glory.

Revelation 1:8 (King James Version)

8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

God is the alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. The creator of the universe itself, power incarnate, a being so powerful that if he decided tomorrow that cows have wings and can fly or that the seas would turn to jelly, he make it so with but a thought.

Colossians 1:16-17 (King James Version)

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

This is the power and might of our Lord and God. In Him all things are possible. Here’s the blessing, the greatest gift given to us, God loves us. A being whose power is unmatched in all of existence, who we are unworthy to even approach his presence, God loves us. There it is again. Love.

John 3:16 (King James Version)

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Putting God in a box is about putting limitations on someone that has no limitations. For those who say that God never intended plural marriages as a blessed union, are putting God in a box. Those that say, if you do not believe the way we do, are putting God in a box. Those that say plural marriages are immoral, are putting God in a box. Putting God in a box undermines his greatness, and undervalues the love and mercy he has for us all. With that I will let all ponder if they are putting God in a box, or do they recognize what a wonderfully loving God we have, one that does not have to care about us, but he does anyways.

Good Evening.

Well said, truthfinder, and welcome!

We put God in the box of our world view in a lot of areas besides marriage, don't we? Any tradition or cultural thing that we take for granted and don't bother to see what He really said or thinks or wants in that area.

Lord forgive us for having such a limited view in any area - let us see and trust Your glory, and stand in awe of it, and not be afraid to let it move us to higher and better places with You.

The thing is that we have been taught from the moment of our birth what role God plays in our lives and in our hearts. For some this is fine, and it is just exactly what they need. For others, it is just the starting point. Since travelling this journey I have had to rethink my "knowledge" on many aspects of God. For instance, I always believed like mainstream Christianity that the law was abolished when Christ came. But when Pastor Randy started actually expecting me to read the Word, instead of just quote what had been quoted to me, the world opened up for me. Before I started down this road I didn't know what submission was. I thought I did, but I was wrong. Before I walked down this road, I thought I knew what God wanted from me. I was willing to give Him what I thought he wanted. When I realized what He really wanted, I had to think again, to be sure if I was really capable of that. It turns out that the more He wants of me, the more I am willing to give Him. There truly are no limits to God and there are no limits to his desires for us. What an amazing thing that is when you can actually get your mind around it.

Amen! We all have a tendency to place God in the box. I guess it is part of our human nature! I suppose it makes us more secure!

We are all guilty of putting God in a box. We let Him out of that box when things start to go bad or not well for us and once everything is as right as rain, we shove God back in that box and put the box up unitl we need God's help again. As long as things are going well we think that we dont need God. But once something happens.....we run to that box and scream HELP!!!!!!

It took me having to go through a major family problem before I realized that I was doing this. It took that problem for the Lord to reach down and smack me a good one before I realized what it was I was trying or at least thought I was doing. God was never in the box that I thought He was in....He was standing right next to me trying to get my attention all along and I just did not or better yet, I refused to hear Him until I really needed His help. I still have to watch myself as I sometimes slip and want to revert back to putting Him in that box again.....but I am gently reminded by Him that HE is in control and is driving this train I am on called... life.....and HE is taking me to places in my life that he wanted to do several years ago, and what a ride it is.....

When i was talking to the Chaplain on the phone tonight , he told me that he posted several posts today and being the supportive and i must say curious :lol: wife that I am , I had to read what he posted. While on the phone I read this one and we discussed it. I have to agree with what the Chaplain said about how we think we have God in a box but He is never really in a box. In our minds do we really think that God and all of His Power and Majesty can be placed in a box by a mere human? The answer is definately NO! but a lot of times in our human mind we think we can. I , for one , am glad that the Awesome and Holy and Powerful God that we as Christians serve can not be held in a mere box BUT that HE is up in heaven seated on His rightful throne.

That reminds me how the religious Pharisees and Sanhedrin (equivalent of mainstream protestant and Catholic Christian thought today) were the ones that got really upset at Christ when he showed up. His supposed own people rejected him! He didn't fit in the virtual box they had created for Elohim. After all, they had sort of a "comfortable version of god club". Their box got so small that they had him executed. Ooops.. There is a verse where God is outside knocking. I see the same patterns with mainstream religion today. People slowly make up their own belief systems while congregating together in groups (denominations). Another thing that is really wacky is the hireling shepherd issue. The sheep hire the shepherd to guide them, if he offends them, they fire him and get another pastor.. What a paradox! John - Chapter 10 v 12
Here is some of the itching ear scriptures: 2 Timothy Chapter 4
Is that a sign of the times we live in?
So, I guess that is human nature... So, it's not surprising why most religious are so passionately closed minded to Christian polygamy. It does not fit in their little box either...

Back