• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Rambling Thoughts of a Hopeful Wife

Sonshine

Real Person
Female
Jealousy, comparison, insecurities...

I feel as if I, literally, have these monsters at my back. Clawing at me. But at the same time telling me how justified I am in the anger they bring out. The hatred.

That's what I've realized, you see. My relationship with my husband is suffering because of my feelings of jealousy, my comparisons, and my insecurities. At this point I couldn't tell you all how to get rid of them. How to remove the fiends and become stronger and more resilient. I wish there was some kind of repellent. Because, of course, if I manage to get rid of one, it's not long before it comes right back--almost stronger than it was before. I think once they realize how easily they can claim a hold on me, their tenacity to overcome just intensifies.

Of course these "monsters" should be defined as what they really are. Sin. Plain and simple polygamy has brought out the sin in my heart. It's led me to a place where I can't just survive on keeping the sin at bay. I have to fight it off daily by being on the offense. And it's been made aware to me, in this fight, just how weak I am.

Why did God choose me to fight this fight? I'm so weak. I have so many insecurities, I always have. I've always thought myself the lowest of the low. Why would God bring about a situation in which my sin just convinces me that I was right? That I'm not even enough to keep a man. I'm not enough to satisfy a husband.

The world has told me that I must be pathetic for this. I must be doing something wrong. Even the church has said this. As a wife, I must not have upheld the exemplary standards that make a "Proverbs 31" wife. I've heard it before, directed at others, "She must not have been doing her duty by him..." "No man who's being 'taken care of' would ever stray."

Not only am I having to fight off the ideas of the world and the church and what they hold dear, but I have to detox myself into realizing that (as a dear friend said earlier) I don't own my husband.
I don't own my husband.
I have no right to be angry.
I have no right to be hateful.
He's not doing anything wrong.

Guys, I don't feel this. Not one OUNCE of me agrees with any of these statements. But, they are truth. And the truth really hurts sometimes. But, "So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, 'If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.'”
John 8: 31-32.

The truth is all I have right now. Because that's how I can fight off these monsters. That's how I cope with feeling like a failure. The truth is how I believe (over time) that I have no reason to be angry, jealous, bitter, or insecure.

I can't say that this will be won tomorrow or the next day. But, I can say that I'm going to do my best to choose truth every day. And when I fail, and the monsters grab on stronger, I know I have grace. And hopefully a whole army of people who don't mind praying for this sinner. :)

James 4:7 (KJV)
........". Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

You are doing it right, choosing to resist.
Notice that it doesn’t say rebuke the devil, that’s what many people think should work.
Resist, and keep resisting. Keep choosing what is right, after you whoop his butt too many times he will run. But every time you give in to your wants, it delays his depart. It strengthens him when he has any victory at all.

I’m the meantime, I am here for you, praying for you, and here to listen <3

Why did God choose me to fight this fight? I'm so weak. I have so many insecurities, I always have. I've always thought myself the lowest of the low. Why would God bring about a situation in which my sin just convinces me that I was right? That I'm not even enough to keep a man. I'm not enough to satisfy a husband.

I would say that God chose you because he knew you could handle it. He knows your heart better than you, he desires you to be more of who He sees you to be, He wants to show His glory thru and in you. Easy? NO! But that doesn't make the journey the wrong one. :)

Last edited:
James 4:7 (KJV)
........". Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

You are doing it right, choosing to resist.
Notice that it doesn’t say rebuke the devil, that’s what many people think should work.
Resist, and keep resisting. Keep choosing what is right, after you whoop his butt too many times he will run. But every time you give in to your wants, it delays his depart. It strengthens him when he has any victory at all.

Preacher's on fire ! Preacher's on fire! Women and children dancing in the aisle singin' glory Hallelujah, the preacher's on fire!

Preacher's on fire ! Preacher's on fire! Women and children dancing in the aisle singin' glory Hallelujah, the preacher's on fire!
Eeeeeeasy there, young feller.
Don’t go bustin somethin that ya might need later. ;):confused::rolleyes:

how I can fight off these monsters.

One of my wives says that she feels she has found the answer to coping with these feelings. She says what works for her is to focus more on how much she loves the other wife. Somehow that combats the feelings of jealousy, etc. You have got to get where you actually hurt when she hurts, and always want the best for her instead of yourself. When this love and care is reciprocated on the other side of the equation, it somehow removes the competition and peace returns.

If there is actually a real case of one wife 'taking advantage' of the other in some way, at some point it is the husband's responsibility to recognize the situation and set it right.

The biggest battleground is right inside our own hearts.

God chose you because he knew it would make you stronger, and because when we win through His strength and mercy, it inspires others.
You are certainly on the right track!

(I thought I posted this earlier....just found it sitting as a draft. -_-)

One of my wives says that she feels she has found the answer to coping with these feelings. She says what works for her is to focus more on how much she loves the other wife. Somehow that combats the feelings of jealousy, etc. You have got to get where you actually hurt when she hurts, and always want the best for her instead of yourself. When this love and care is reciprocated on the other side of the equation, it somehow removes the competition and peace returns.

If there is actually a real case of one wife 'taking advantage' of the other in some way, at some point it is the husband's responsibility to recognize the situation and set it right.
Spot on!! Typically, negative feelings arise when we think on ourselves instead of others. To give a list of verses that may help you through these thoughts and or feelings:
1Corinthians 10:13
1Corinthians 13
Matthew 22:35-40
Isaiah 43:16, but the whole chapter is good.
Daniel 3:17
2Peter2:9
In God’s finding a way or ways through problems it is best to find in the Word what God uses most to apply “the ways.” It is almost always Love as Jim the Apostle points to. I know I keep going to Love as the solution and cure in my postings, but so does the Word. It is what sets real Believers apart from everyone else. Not if we know Greek, Hebrew, or have the Bible memorized. When the lawyers asked Jesus what was the great (singular) commandment in the law (trying to trick Him). Jesus told them there were two (Matthew 22:35-45). They were about Loving others. He also said, “On these two commandments hang (rest, rely, to depend) all the law and the prophets.” Then we go and see what Paul stated in 1Corinthians 12 about real Love. Yes 12. Paul speaks of all the many gifts bestowed upon the church in chapter 12, but the most critical IMO is verse 31. In this last verse he states, “But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.” WOoOW! What is the more excellent way? Real Love. As this Brother taught, Loving her is actually YOUR cure. The most powerful force in any of your (or anyone’s) relationship(s) is Loving others above self. Does Loving our spouse more bring us closer together? Our children? Our mother? Father? Brother? Sister? It will if they reciprocate. Remember too, that your husband’s other wives are your Sister first before a wife. Hence the term Sister-wife. No one would be right in saying it is easy, because it is against our human nature and our culture teaches us to live for self (narcissism). I pray this helps. My prayers are with you, Sis.

@Sonshine, crucifixion is 'death by exhaustion'. The flesh dies a horrible, painful death, struggling to stay alive until it can struggle no longer. The part of you that loves your husband for who he is, not for what he does for you, and loves God for who He is, not for what He does for you, will be revealed as all the crap you were raised to believe about male/female relationships dies.

The recovery community swiped "one day at a time" from Jesus ("sufficient for the day..."); it's the best advice ever in times of distress and "withdrawal". Focus on the present, without fear of the future or regret for the past, and you will succeed one day at a time.

I want to thank you ALL!! Seriously. To say that the last few days have been "easier" wouldn't be true. But, I can FEEL my Savior's strength. I know that it's HE who is working through me right now.

I'm taking ALL of your advice! And, I'm really doing my best to just love my family and be content with everything God has given me. Because, it really is SO much if I stop looking elsewhere.

Thanks, everyone. :)

Last edited:
crucifixion is 'death by exhaustion'. The flesh dies a horrible, painful death, struggling to stay alive until it can struggle no longer.
I'll keep this quote, if you don't mind Andrew(?) I totally agree; we just have to stay with the cross and daily mortify the flesh (which is not so easy)

It occurs to me reading that bit that I should have said "horrible, painful, terrifying" death, because unless something else like blood loss takes you first, you basically die of suffocation, simply too weak and cramped up to take one... more... breath...........

Same principle that makes waterboarding so effective: you can't control the fear you feel when you can't breathe. So back to the metaphorical death, there's something in our flesh that loses it when it realizes it's dying. Embrace the cross and "commend your spirit" to God.

Back