• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Rebellious Wives and Slacker Husbands

aineo

Staff member
Real Person*
Male
I ran across a short book earlier on Biblical Gender Roles called 'Rebellious Wives and Slacker Husbands' by Dr. John R. Rice. I cannot speak for the original book, as this is a somewhat abridged reprint, but I felt like this was a good primer regarding man's headship over the home and the roles of men and women as defined in the Bible. The book addresses such topics as man as the head of the home, man's responsibility to God in this, even for his family's salvation, man's responsibility to call out the sins of those under his headship, wives responsibility to be obedient, that men should lead their homes like Christ leads the church, and a bit more.

I felt the book approached this from a well-balanced point of view, demonstrating that there is more to it than wives are to listen to their husbands because he is the head of the home, but also that husbands are to be Christ-like leaders.

I don't think there is much, if anything, new to the discussions we have here, but I did like the presentation of it in one single package.

I ran across a short book earlier on Biblical Gender Roles called 'Rebellious Wives and Slacker Husbands' by Dr. John R. Rice. I cannot speak for the original book, as this is a somewhat abridged reprint, but I felt like this was a good primer regarding man's headship over the home and the roles of men and women as defined in the Bible. The book addresses such topics as man as the head of the home, man's responsibility to God in this, even for his family's salvation, man's responsibility to call out the sins of those under his headship, wives responsibility to be obedient, that men should lead their homes like Christ leads the church, and a bit more.

I felt the book approached this from a well-balanced point of view, demonstrating that there is more to it than wives are to listen to their husbands because he is the head of the home, but also that husbands are to be Christ-like leaders.

I don't think there is much, if anything, new to the discussions we have here, but I did like the presentation of it in one single package.
Whoa! I haven't read something I agree with so much as this in a long time. Nice link.

I just disagree with his conclusion that immoral daughters, criminal sons, and unsaved family members are the result of poor home leadership. There is a correlation, but not an absolute causation.

Very concise and well put. Just read it in about 10-15 min so its a short read. He covers just about everything in a pretty frank, straightforward manner and doesnt cut anyone any slack. It's well worth your time and your wife's to read it.

Imagine a secular, progressive feminist reading this for the first time?
Wait, that's about 50% of most women in our churches nowadays.

What percentage of pastors in pulpits will teach on this in the next 12 months?

Thank you very much for the link. I read the book and enjoyed the way the author addressed the points in such a direct manner. No waffling! Excellent.

Thank you very much for the link. I read the book and enjoyed the way the author addressed the points in such a direct manner. No waffling! Excellent.
Mr. Rice was an old school fundamentalist. Those guys didn't mingle words or flower things up. I find guys like J Vernon McGee much more preferable to hear than most new guys.

Mr. Rice was an old school fundamentalist. Those guys didn't mingle words or flower things up.
True that! This third gen fundamentalism is so politically correct that they've become pastorally incompetent. There's no school like the 'old school'!

Back