• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers

steve

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
It just came out as a movie.
I absolutely love the book, read it more than once.
The girls saw the movie and loved it, so I thought that I would throw it up here and see if anyone wants to discuss it.

Did the movie do the book justice? I saw the trailer and was worried that they watered down all the really good parts.

Movies will never replace the full impact of books, but some ladies with fairly critical eyes were very impressed.
Quote “They took things right to the edge where it was almost too much, and then let off.” (or something close to that)

It just came out as a movie.
I absolutely love the book, read it more than once.
The girls saw the movie and loved it, so I thought that I would throw it up here and see if anyone wants to discuss it.
It's at my local theater (biggest screen), and we almost went to see it this weekend but saw Licorice Pizza instead, because it was in the smallest screening room and no one else was there, so we thought we might miss it.

I'll make a point of going to see it this week if at all possible.

Movies will never replace the full impact of books, but some ladies with fairly critical eyes were very impressed.
Quote “They took things right to the edge where it was almost too much, and then let off.” (or something close to that)
Kristin and I just got back from watching Redeeming Love. Kristin says, "Thank Steve for the recommendation," and, yes, I cried. Several times.

The quote you shared, Steve, could have been applied to a number of things about the movie. It was great by Hollywood production standards. The nudity was definitely something that walked right up to the edge (you know me; I wouldn't have minded had it gone over the edge), but key obstacles were consistently in the way. But it did the same thing with male insensitivity, violence and facing the gruesome details of the protagonista's life.

I was mightily impressed. In response to a comment I read elsewhere, I will also add that this movie isn't just about godly devotion to biblical commitment. I really do see Redeeming Love as a solid example of the kind of horizon those of us seeking second wives should be marching toward: opening our hearts to those women whom most men ignore, scorn or cast aside.

[I dedicate this post to the memory of my ex-prostitute bipolar/schizophrenic maternal grandmother and the forgiving, patient, loving, solid, strong and big-hearted man who became my mother's stepfather and my most beloved grandparent.]

Kristin said she read the book a long time ago and has a friend who reads everything by the author, and she believes the movie was mostly Redeeming Love but contained additional aspects from other books. Do you think this is possible, Steve? I'm actually hoping not, so that the likelihood that more of Francine Rivers's books will be made into movies.

I haven’t seen it yet because I am out on the road, but I think that it followed the book closely.
Francine was able to maintain much more control over the movie creation process than most authors ever achieve. To the point that she actually required that the actor playing the hero be a virgin. :eek:

Thank you for that excellent endorsement and personal report, I was really hoping that it would turn out that way.

she actually required that the actor playing the hero be a virgin. :eek:

That would certainly shorten the casting-calls process . . .

Finally got to watch the movie last night with my wife, who first told my about the book when we were first getting together because she felt like she could relate so much to Angel’s story. Neither of us were disappointed. As was mentioned earlier, they managed to depict prostitution, child molestation, murder, adultery, and more in a way that forces the viewer to confront the reality of these evils without going over the top or glorifying any of it. We both felt like the message of the movie was entirely consistent with the book. Highly recommend

When I’m home I always request that we watch something with an orchestra because they have sax and violins. (…..sex and violence, but they know that I’m teasing.)

Back