• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Responding to a dear brother

Well done.

A good logical refutation. I was struck by how much he resorted to deceptive arguments and was reminded that the first pro-monogamy piece in Christianity, by Tertulian, was a very stark piece of sophistry. The anti-polygamy advocates haven't a leg to stand on and never have.

It was a thorough job of addressing the errors point by point.

I loved the thought exercise, if David brought his family...

and pointing out that his psalms are treasured, yet he and his family would likely be excluded from fellowship.

Another awesome point here.

"While I certainly do not condone favoritism and advise the average man against even considering polygyny, I will state very clearly that polygyny does not cause ‘envy, jealousy, resentment, rejection, hatred, murder,’ etc. Polygyny may expose those things already dwelling in the heart, but the marriage arrangement does not cause, or invite, those sins of spirits any more than the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil caused Eve to sin. The Tree revealed the heart just as polygyny reveals the heart. In fact, all the sins you listed can appear in a monogamous family or even in a single woman, or man."

That is GOLD!

Also calling him out on the wrong definition of adultery was strong, and should be.

Proverbs 17:15 calls it abomination to either justify the wicked, or condemn the just.

Thank you for sharing.

Excellent rebuttal. Props.

If thats not on our main website's list of essential points for those doubting this it should be!
Yeah.. I've already employed that verse a couple times!

If thats not on our main website's list of essential points for those doubting this it should be!
This is spot on!

I'm not the webmaster but I think when that needed sprucing up of the website is done, we need to add this as a featured verse on the main splash.

@nathan , this is a great suggestion.

This is spot on!

I'm not the webmaster but I think when that needed sprucing up of the website is done, we need to add this as a featured verse on the main splash.

@nathan , this is a great suggestion.

This page: https://biblicalfamilies.org/resources/personal/pastors

The Isaiah passage is there but adding this would add more weight to the warning. WOE is not as immediately impactful as ABOMINATION.

I'd personally say something along the lines of..."Many of the people who have become convinced of the righteousness of polygamy against the weight of tradition and cultural bias have done so at the leading of the Holy Spirit upon the overwelming testimony of scriptures that it is good and just and no where is it condemned as sinful. Be careful that you are not quick to condemn and mistreat them. Remember Proverbs 17:15: those who either justify the wicked, or condemn the just are an abomination to the LORD."

Well that's how I feel about it anyway. It may need to be said differently to fit into the tone, voice, and logic of the text. But I think the goal is to make them stop and think and be extra careful in their actions instead of immediately jumping into condemnation. For many families an "I strongly disagree but I won't condemn you for your stance." would be a huge win.

Back