• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Roots?

steve

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
upload_2021-7-23_20-31-59.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-23_20-31-59.png
    upload_2021-7-23_20-31-59.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
The Sabbath can really be any day we want it to be. So long as a person dedicates one day a week to the Lord then they are in accord with what God asked of them.

Seriously, do we want to become Pharisees who condemn healing the sick on the Sabbath? Should hospitals close on Sunday and the sick be left on their own until Monday so the doctors, nurses, and other workers can spend the day in worship?

Should the military take Sunday or Saturday off? Firefighters? Police? Ranchers? Farmers?

Pick a day and keep it holy be it any day of the week. God will love you for it.

Better yet, keep the entire week holy and don't just be obedient one day a week.

The Sabbath can really be any day we want it to be. So long as a person dedicates one day a week to the Lord then they are in accord with what God asked of them.

Seriously, do we want to become Pharisees who condemn healing the sick on the Sabbath? Should hospitals close on Sunday and the sick be left on their own until Monday so the doctors, nurses, and other workers can spend the day in worship?

Should the military take Sunday or Saturday off? Firefighters? Police? Ranchers? Farmers?

Pick a day and keep it holy be it any day of the week. God will love you for it.

Better yet, keep the entire week holy and don't just be obedient one day a week.

This is demonstrating an extreme lack of understanding the scriptures.

Maybe you can provide some further commentary to illustrate your interpretation of what she wrote and why you disagree.

Do you really believe that Jesus would want doctors, nurses, and hospital staff to take Sundays off? Or do you think he'd want firefighters, police, and the military to take Sundays off?

I'm sorry if you're hung up on calendar days and here I am the OCD autist saying that each person can decide to keep their own Sabbath day holy if they can't do it on Friday night, Saturday, or Sunday. God could care less about how we organize a calendar. What He cares about is that we set aside time to worship Him and to reflect His Glory with our families and in prayer.

If you think about it priests, pastors, preachers, musicians, choir members, ushers, kitchen workers, deacons, lay members, and etc. all violate the requirement not to work on Sunday when they work on Sunday to provide for church services.

Maybe we should stone them to death.

200.gif

Scripture actually says 'the seventh day.' It dies not say, 'one in seven.' On this point, Yeshua and the Pharisees agreed!

The argument they had was sectarian in nature. The Pharisees, through some 1600 stringent rulings, had added to the simple Shabbat commandment. Yeshua was demonstrating that there are 'weightier matters' that override their rules at points.

Christendom uses this exchange to justify breaking the command through their own traditions exactly as the Pharisees did! It is a fallacy that demonstrates either an incomplete understanding of Scripture, or a willful altering of the written text... armed with the two fallacies, one in seven and Yeshua worked (healed, a weightier matter) on the seventh day, Christians then expand it to mowing the lawn and going shopping, et al.

What dies Scripture actually say, and what is the correct context of the debates Yeshua had with the religious leaders?

If you think about it priests, pastors, preachers, musicians, choir members, ushers, kitchen workers, deacons, lay members, and etc. all violate the requirement not to work on Sunday when they work on Sunday to provide for church services.

Maybe we should stone them to death.

View attachment 2396
Again... weightier matter. Yeshua points to this.. but, this is not equivalent to weeding your garden or washing your car as that would be false equivocation on the 'work' of the Levites v 'work' of daily life..

Scripture actually says 'the seventh day.' It dies not say, 'one in seven.' On this point, Yeshua and the Pharisees agreed!

The argument they had was sectarian in nature. The Pharisees, through some 1600 stringent rulings, had added to the simple Shabbat commandment. Yeshua was demonstrating that there are 'weightier matters' that override their rules at points.

Christendom uses this exchange to justify breaking the command through their own traditions exactly as the Pharisees did! It is a fallacy that demonstrates either an incomplete understanding of Scripture, or a willful altering of the written text... armed with the two fallacies, one in seven and Yeshua worked (healed, a weightier matter) on the seventh day, Christians then expand it to mowing the lawn and going shopping, et al.

What dies Scripture actually say, and what is the correct context of the debates Yeshua had with the religious leaders?

How do you know that today is the real Shabbat? Historically speaking, nobody knows what day of the week it really is... or year for that matter. Today could just as easily be day 3 or 6 or 2, nobody knows for sure. Really you’re in the same boat as @MeganC when it comes to picking a day of the week... it’s arbitrary.

How do you know that today is the real Shabbat? Historically speaking, nobody knows what day of the week it really is... or year for that matter. Today could just as easily be day 3 or 6 or 2, nobody knows for sure. Really you’re in the same boat as @MeganC when it comes to picking a day of the week... it’s arbitrary.
To assume that is to assume Yeshua didn't know.

Explain why the Church Fathers argued for the 'first day of the week' or 'the eighth day.' Both assume that they knew and agreed that today, Shabbat, is/was the seventh day.

Further, there is precisely zero evidence that any change of days, loss of days, or renumbering of days has happened since Gan Eden. Even when the Romans took ten days of the month out of the calendar when switching from Julian to Gregorian counting, they did not change days of the week...

Sorry, @Asforme&myhouse , your attempt at obfuscation is without merit.

Maybe you can provide some further commentary to illustrate your interpretation of what she wrote and why you disagree.

Deuteronomy 5:12-14
'Observe the sabbath day to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you. [13] Six days you shall labor and do all your work, [14] but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter or your male servant or your female servant or your ox or your donkey or any of your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you, so that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you.

Should the military take Sunday or Saturday off? Firefighters? Police?

No one is promoting that

Ranchers?

Exodus 20:10
but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.

Exodus 34:21
"You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during plowing time and harvest you shall rest.

This is the exact opposite of what the Bible actually says.

Leviticus 23:2-3
"Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, 'YHWH'S appointed times which you shall proclaim as holy convocation My appointed times are these: [3] 'For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a sabbath to YHWH in all your dwellings.

Obedience in this matter is defined by working 6 and resting on THE 7th.

Last edited:
To assume that is to assume Yeshua didn't know.

Explain why the Church Fathers argued for the 'first day of the week' or 'the eighth day.' Both assume that they knew and agreed that today, Shabbat, is/was the seventh day.

Further, there is precisely zero evidence that any change of days, loss of days, or renumbering of days has happened since Gan Eden. Even when the Romans took ten days of the month out of the calendar when switching from Julian to Gregorian counting, they did not change days of the week...

Sorry, @Asforme&myhouse , your attempt at obfuscation is without merit.
hmmm I wonder why the early church met on the first day of the week and not the seventh...

hmmm I wonder why the early church met on the first day of the week and not the seventh...

What makes you say they did not meet on the 7th?

Also the command is to rest on the 7th not meet on the 7th so a lack of meeting on the seventh day is not evidence that they worked on the 7th... To my knowledge there is no command to avoid meeting on other days...

What makes you say they did not meet on the 7th?

Also the command is to rest on the 7th not meet on the 7th so a lack of meeting on the seventh day is not evidence that they worked on the 7th... To my knowledge there is no command to avoid meeting on other days...

I was referring to worship meetings, as is mentioned in the meme that started this thread.

@PeteR , my statement is no more obfuscating then it is to allege that Sunday worship meetings were a thing brought about by the Romans or the Catholic Church, the starting meme of this thread suggests.

The early church 'fathers', Greco-Roman bishops and pastors, wilfully and intentionally defined themselves against the Torah. The Roman Catholic church outright declares that THEY, by 'Divine right,' moved the day from Shabbat to sun day. Would you like the myriad quotes and admissions of responsibility? It will fill a book... The RCC is quite proud of this...

Do you really believe that Jesus would want doctors, nurses, and hospital staff to take Sundays off? Or do you think he'd want firefighters, police, and the military to take Sundays off?
No one has answered this practical question. How does this align with keeping the Sabbath, whatever day we interpret it to be?

It's good to look at the bible and pull out bible quotes to try and figure things out, but there needs to be a balance with the world we live in. If me or one of my children are sick on a Sabbath, you better believe we're going to drive to the doctor, we're going to expect the doctors and nurses to be working, and we're going to buy food if we have to. I literally did this a few weeks ago. I had an asthma attack on a Saturday. We drove to the doctors. I was seen by a receptionist, nurse, doctor, and then given meds by the pharmacy. The meds needed to be taken with food and we'd missed dinner since we suddenly had to leave, so we bought fast food before driving an hour home again.

We do what we can to follow the Sabbath, but we exist in a fallen world with illnesses and sin and problems galore.

No one has answered this practical question. How does this align with keeping the Sabbath, whatever day we interpret it to be?

It's good to look at the bible and pull out bible quotes to try and figure things out, but there needs to be a balance with the world we live in. If me or one of my children are sick on a Sabbath, you better believe we're going to drive to the doctor, we're going to expect the doctors and nurses to be working, and we're going to buy food if we have to. I literally did this a few weeks ago. I had an asthma attack on a Saturday. We drove to the doctors. I was seen by a receptionist, nurse, doctor, and then given meds by the pharmacy. The meds needed to be taken with food and we'd missed dinner since we suddenly had to leave, so we bought fast food before driving an hour home again.

We do what we can to follow the Sabbath, but we exist in a fallen world with illnesses and sin and problems galore.

Thank you and that is my point. If we need doctors and nurses on a Sunday and they have to be at work instead of at church then if they make one of their days off their Sabbath then I do not believe that the same Jesus who healed the sick on a Sabbath would be offended.

Back