• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Sad day for India’s largest family.

Yes, it's a sad day.
However, on the bright side, they've got a strong church community, and will no doubt all pull through this ok. I don't know how theologically sound their "cult" is, whether it's given the label "cult" just because of polygamy or because of real problems. Giving them the benefit of the doubt on that, it is impressive that they have been able to build a polygamous Christian church community even in a country where it is technically illegal and Christianity is not dominant, and gain a degree of public acceptance (or notoriety) without being simply considered criminals - even being considered a tourist attraction.

I saw this in the news as well, but didn't post.

I'm wondering if this sect are tribal members of a culture where polygamy was practiced and accepted. It says his father was the founder of the sect. Perhaps they are relatively newer converts who saw no conflict in scripture with their pre existing ways.

I saw this in the news as well, but didn't post.

I'm wondering if this sect are tribal members of a culture where polygamy was practiced and accepted. It says his father was the founder of the sect. Perhaps they are relatively newer converts who saw no conflict in scripture with their pre existing ways.

I have a friend who is originally from Singapore. He reports that polygamy is almost universally accepted throughout Asia but is considered something that shouldn't be flaunted -- the biggest reason: the desire to avoid being condemned by the West.

We tend to forget that polygamy was first outlawed by the Greeks (Europe) and that the major effort to eliminate it came from the Roman Catholic Church (Europe). The colonies around the world adopted the de rigueur condemnation of plural marriage, but otherwise the rest of the world never bothered to get up on its high horse about it.

We tend to forget that polygamy was first outlawed by the Greeks (Europe) and that the major effort to eliminate it came from the Roman Catholic Church (Europe). The colonies around the world adopted the de rigueur condemnation of plural marriage, but otherwise the rest of the world never bothered to get up on its high horse about it.
Exactly! And people need to be reminded often or they not only forget, but they harass those who don't agree with their failed memory position.

The church was originally Presbyterian, I believe, and the Presbyterian church disowned them when they adopted polygamy. They apparently also believe that Christ returned back in the 1940s. This article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziona gives more detail, including the fact that the church membership at the time it was written, had reached 2,000. I think we would do well to send one of our own as a missionary to this church, if there is someone who feels the call of God to go there.

"As of 2021, the sect has over 2,000 followers in 433 families, who all reside in the Baktawng Tlangnuam village.[33][37]"

How many churches would LOVE to have 433 families (and 2,000 members)?

Back