• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Scripture references of no strife in plural marriage?

NickF

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Anybody have a quick list of references of polygynous marriages where there was no recorded strife?

I know I came across some of them, but never made a note. It would be a great list to include in my paper that is becoming a book. @PeteR have you already covered this somewhere?

I can hunt them down but I'm really tight on time these days, no need to reinvent the wheel if someone already has an article discussing this.

The first reference is one lil miss so an so.
And I'm looking for references where there isn't recorded strife. I have to answer a stupid argument and show it's stupidity. I don't think plural marriage is without strife.

2 Chr 24:2-3 is one. Lots of mentions of wives and family sizes with no mention of strife... similar w assumed mono-only houses. Strife is only ever mentioned whether in mono or poly in the context of advancing the story line.

If there is already a compiled list, I'd be interested.

If there is already a compiled list, I'd be interested.
Thanks for the reference. I’ll add it to my list. I’ll share when I get it compiled.

Gideon and his many wives.
King Joash and his two.
Lamech (not the greatest example, but no recorded strife)
The whole tribe of Isacchar (1 Chr 7:4) - does that count?
Elkanah and his wives - when read carefully it becomes clear that Hannah was upset by her barrenness, not by her sisterwife.

Every marriage not recorded anywhere. :)

I just stumbled on something.
For they had {rabah} wives and sons. Multiplied as in the Deut. 17:17 favorite passage of the truth deniers.

So it's ok for the men of the tribe of Issachar to multiply wives, but Kings were not to do it.

Any israelite man is allowed to add wives as long as they are not foreign wives as they caused even Solomon to sin (cf. Neh.13:26).
Yes, I agree. I was specifically referencing that particular hebrew word for "multiply". Hadn't ever come across that used in reference to wives except for the Deut 17 prohibition passage.

I think some translations state of Issachar in another place that they were 'wise and discerning men who understood the times...'

Caleb has no recorded strife.
King Saul, King David and King Solomon. All had other problems, but strife between wives was not one of them.

Excellent references, thanks guys. Keep em coming if you think of any.

I would start with list of Israeli kings. They were all certainly married. I don't believe that more than one or two had recorded strife between wives, despite being families with extremely high probability of his problem.

Inheriting kingdom is quite a reward. Fight for this could be quite epic.

How many mono marriages had recorded strife? That might be the best response.
Absolutely, that’s part of the core rebuttal. Strife is caused by people acting poorly or outright sinning. Jealousy/envy is often used as a cudgel to say “you shouldn’t do it cause it will cause your wife to be jealous”.

I’m sorry, but going to work might make her jealous of my time and attention too. Spending time with my children might cause her to be jealous. She might envy a friend who gets time with me. She might envy someone I’m friends with who she thinks is more attractive. Her sin is hers. She is commanded to put that envy/jealousy aside and be Christlike.

The possibility she might sin is no reason for me to not do something good and seek favor from God.

The possibility she might sin is no reason for me to not do something good and seek favor from God.
I have had Romans 14 used in response when I said similar, and particularly v:21; It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.

And yes, many people were so offended by Jesus doing good they wanted to murder Him.

I have had Romans 14 used in response when I said similar, and particularly v:21; It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.

And yes, many people were so offended by Jesus doing good they wanted to murder Him.
This is the stuff I want. To know the arguments front back sideways and diagonally.

And I figured that would be a snap back.

To which my gut response is. Leadership. We are to love like Christ does the church. Does God correct and lead us even when we are not acting appropriately? Can we expect only an easy path? Christ wouldn’t ever ask us to get out of our comfort zone, get on a plane and fly to a jungle where we might be killed by tribal people. He’s only going to ask us to share the gospel on the way to starbucks to get our latte.

We are expected to minister to those in need. Minister to prostitutes, there’s a chance for temptation there.

Minister to thieves, there’s a chance a thief might try to get us involved in a scam or burglary.

We are called to be better. Not to be comfortable and coddled.

Envy is a sin. As a husband, we should walk through it, exhort, and rebuke with gentleness and patience. Teach, guide and bring her through it to the other side. A more glorious bride, walking in dignity and honor, an example of a Godly spirit.

And we must take the verses in question in complete context of the whole counsel of scripture.

If a man's wife thinks it is a sin to eat a chicken. He should not let her continue in that foolishness. Teach what scripture says, and expect your household to abide by your leadership and what God says is truth. Not a foolish feeling of guilt over something where there is no sin according to God.

Speaking as someone who has no experience leading a wife through envy in a plural marriage, I can imagine it takes a lot of care, gentleness, tenderness, patience, love, and firm conviction. A lot of reaffirming your care for her and her solid station in your life. A lot of reassurance that she is needed and wanted, that she is not being replaced. A lot of washing lies out of her mind.

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but going to work might make her jealous of my time and attention too. Spending time with my children might cause her to be jealous. She might envy a friend who gets time with me. She might envy someone I’m friends with who she thinks is more attractive.
This is exactly my point when people say that I shouldn't have to, or can't, share Samuel. I already share him. With the kids, with his extended family, with his work, with the garden etc. Being married doesn't make him at my beck and call all day long. He's not sitting around like a lost puppy waiting for me to welcome him into my arms. We have a life.

A lot of reassurance that she is needed and wanted, that she is not being replaced. A lot of washing lies out of her mind.
Also, she will probably be thinking this, and not knowing she's thinking this. So it's at the root of some of her actions, but she's just feeling grumpy today and doesn't know why, or she's mad at you for leaving your socks on the floor, but it's not about the socks.

Back