• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

shaving......or not

steve

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
has anyone done a study on shaving, having a beard? the spiritual implications?
i am putting this in "off topic" just to be safe

no opinions?
what is this world coming to?

ok, some food for thought. what did adam and eve look like when they were created? eve having a full head of hair seems to be universaly accepted. what about adam? shoulder length hair and zz top beard?
what were men created to look like?
is there a reason that we would want to look different than we were created to appear?
or were genetic strains that had no male facial hair the most pure and facial hair is an aberation?

and the most important question of all, why is there no full bearded, patriarchal looking smilies? :eek: :lol:

the most important question of all, why is there no full bearded, patriarchal looking smilies?

Some of us, that have been round the block a few times remember the old "manual" smilies.

This one has a beard:

;)>

But - unfortunately the interpreter grabs the symbol and messes with it...

steve said:
is there a reason that we would want to look different than we were created to appear?

Aaaah, me laddie, if it is opinion ye want -- Methinks the Good Lord, in His infinite wisdom, wanted to leave us who He had created in His image a wee bit of room for creativity.

When it came to housing, He gave us a garden, dirt, rocks, trees for lumber, grass for thatch, lime for whitewash, red clay for brick if ye prefer, and said something along the celestial line of "Kids, have FUN!"

When it came to our bodies, he made us nude -- perhaps so we'd be sure to NOTICE the differences right off -- and gave us skins and cotton and flax and grasses if ye prefer, and hair in various places, with somewhat differing potentials as to distribution and length, and metal and oils, which some combine with pigments to create a sort of paint for the shutters on the windows to their souls. Then He said something along the celestial line of, "Kids, have FUN!"

Why? Well, again, if it is opinion ye want, methinks the Good Lord revels in diversity. Oh yes, He made logical, normal, beautiful creatures such as yourselves. But He also made giraffes, and zebras, and elephants, and duck billed platypusses and dugongs, and ME! I rest me case! :lol:

cece, did i actually ask for an opinion? :D :lol:
i was surprised that there were not any ;)

ok, does anyone have any understanding of what the beard represented to the jews?

ok

i will file this in the Revelation whose time has not come. catagory

steve said:
cece, did i actually ask for an opinion? :D :lol:
i was surprised that there were not any ;)

ok, does anyone have any understanding of what the beard represented to the jews?

In that case, sorry for the silence, steve...I just actually didn't have too much of an opinion on this one. :eek:

This is the only specific I can think of, and I figgered most folks already knew about it, so I didn't originally have much new to add:

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. Lev. 19:27

I have a beard, but have worn it for over 30 years (!) -- and since long before I came to an understanding of polygyny OR the Bible. I like to keep it fairly short myself, although I know of Messianics who let it grow long, of course. I've heard some Bible studies on what "the corners" of your beard means, but thought they were always a bit inconclusive (and usually involved reference to pagan practices that we may no longer have details about).

If nothing else, I've gotten to the point where I take a break from shaving (much less trimming) on the Sabbath. ;)

This I should add, I guess. The very next verse (Lev. 19:28) is the one which prohibits "cutting" and tattoos. While the "for the dead" phrase is clearly another pagan practice reference, I can't help but think that marking up the flesh that God created is wrong. If we get the beard wrong, it'll grow back -- even pretty quickly.

Blessings,

Mark

thanks mark,
yes, the rounding the corners thing is, i believe, a referance to certain pagan practices that are not a consideration today.

other than that all that i have found in scripture is mostly about shaving the entire head for differing reasons which mostly seem to deal with starting over, a fresh start, new begining kind of thing. i wont bore you with all of them, you can find a lot of them by looking up "shave" in a concordance.
one that i found interesting was in Is 7:20 where YHVH was going to use the enemy to shave them including their beards. i believe that in those days it would shame a man to be shaven and i feel that this is one of the indications.
i have read that shaving was one of the ways that young men used to maintain that pre-pubescent look that their buddies desired and that the look spread to where it is considered uncouth in many circles to grow a beard as YHVH intended us to. we werent intended to look like girls, so why do we buy into the look?
i do not feel that partial shaving or trimming is a problem, but i do feel that full shaving is doing as the pagans do.

i realize that i have no scriptural proof, but then YHVH didn't say a lot about not changing our gender either.
this revelation is more spiritualy discerned than proven and i know that it will be much disagreed with. i almost let the thread just expire, but decided to lay it out here. he who hath an ear, let him here

...yes, the rounding the corners thing is, i believe, a referance to certain pagan practices that are not a consideration today.

While I understand the sentiment, steve, I can't help but remember the kinds of things I see on the TV news every now and then. I don't Satan has forgotten, or fails to bring them back into practice in times like these... :twisted:

Blessings in Him,

Mark

steve said:
shaving was one of the ways that young men used to maintain that pre-pubescent look that their buddies desired

Well, I must have fallen into paganism then. *sigh* I've worn a beard since my late teens, and just recently shaved it off. But my reasons had to do with looking more mature or youthful. It helped, I felt, to look older. Now that said beard is pure white and I'm not yet 50, it works the other way. Having it off helps.

I guess I'll have to rethink this issue, though in the absence of a clear thus saith the Lord, I'm reluctant to add what He didn't. According to Proverbs 30, He's likely to call me a liar if I do.

Anyone mistaking me for prepubescent, with or without a beard, can just have fun with that. :lol:

Sorry! Temptation was too much to bear. This Avatar is what happens when I take a Nazirite vow, and join CMA (The Christian Motorcyclists Assn.) :eek:

Don't worry, Cindy Dear, it won't stay up long ... :lol:

If God seriously intends me to look this way all the time, He got some convictin' to do! :roll:

Not to say it can't be done ... ;)

dadgummit son,
you is a-lookin mighty patriarchal there. well ok, you was :D
and now you are clean-shaven? awww, that stinks. ah'm gonna go ask sir galahad bumbleberry if'n i canst have a couple a licks off'n his lollipop ta cheer me up. (sugar is a comfort food, right?)

gotta go kick some (ok, abunch of) tires.
i'll get back to ya later

All Cecil needs is a robe and a pair of sandals. Oh, and a herd of goats. Maybe a harp or a flute? I don't know.

SweetLissa

Perhaps I could show up towing a couple of stone tablets behind me in a little red wagon (Carry 'em? Are you CRAZY?), and start yelling, "Let my people GOOOOOOO!" :lol:

Hmmm.. he has the sandals on!!!! :lol: and as for you Steve... you got to wait in line for Sir bumbleberry to get more lollipops cuz I took to many licks while we were moving stuff... and it disappeared.. but shhhh.. don't tell him ! ;)

ahhhhh cec,
such a relief to have you back
you are a clown at heart, but that pic was painful to see (i know it's weird, but that is the only way that i can describe it)

CecilW said:
Now that said beard is pure white and I'm not yet 50, it works the other way. Having it off helps.
Pro 16:31 The hoary head [is] a crown of glory, [if] it be found in the way of righteousness.

Pro 20:29 The glory of young men [is] their strength: and the beauty of old men [is] the gray head.
[/quote]

we get to the place where we are no longer young, dumb, and strong. my hoary head is the only beauty that i have left. :lol:

actually, through exercise i am working on staying fit. but i do embrace the idea of looking as if i have the wisdom that comes with age ;)

Num 6:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Num 6:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD:
Num 6:3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
Num 6:4 All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.
Num 6:5 All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.
Num 6:6 All the days that he separateth himself unto the LORD he shall come at no dead body.
Num 6:7 He shall not make himself unclean for his father, or for his mother, for his brother, or for his sister, when they die: because the consecration of his God is upon his head.
Num 6:8 All the days of his separation he is holy unto the LORD.
Num 6:9 And if any man die very suddenly by him, and he hath defiled the head of his consecration; then he shall shave his head in the day of his cleansing, on the seventh day shall he shave it.
Num 6:10 And on the eighth day he shall bring two turtles, or two young pigeons, to the priest, to the door of the tabernacle of the congregation:
Num 6:11 And the priest shall offer the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering, and make an atonement for him, for that he sinned by the dead, and shall hallow his head that same day.
Num 6:12 And he shall consecrate unto the LORD the days of his separation, and shall bring a lamb of the first year for a trespass offering: but the days that were before shall be lost, because his separation was defiled.
Num 6:13 And this is the law of the Nazarite, when the days of his separation are fulfilled: he shall be brought unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation:
Num 6:14 And he shall offer his offering unto the LORD, one he lamb of the first year without blemish for a burnt offering, and one ewe lamb of the first year without blemish for a sin offering, and one ram without blemish for peace offerings,
Num 6:15 And a basket of unleavened bread, cakes of fine flour mingled with oil, and wafers of unleavened bread anointed with oil, and their meat offering, and their drink offerings.
Num 6:16 And the priest shall bring them before the LORD, and shall offer his sin offering, and his burnt offering:
Num 6:17 And he shall offer the ram for a sacrifice of peace offerings unto the LORD, with the basket of unleavened bread: the priest shall offer also his meat offering, and his drink offering.
Num 6:18 And the Nazarite shall shave the head of his separation at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and shall take the hair of the head of his separation, and put it in the fire which is under the sacrifice of the peace offerings.
Num 6:19 And the priest shall take the sodden shoulder of the ram, and one unleavened cake out of the basket, and one unleavened wafer, and shall put them upon the hands of the Nazarite, after the hair of his separation is shaven:
Num 6:20 And the priest shall wave them for a wave offering before the LORD: this is holy for the priest, with the wave breast and heave shoulder: and after that the Nazarite may drink wine.
Num 6:21 This is the law of the Nazarite who hath vowed, and of his offering unto the LORD for his separation, beside that that his hand shall get: according to the vow which he vowed, so he must do after the law of his separation.

The Nazarite vow was a vow that was taken for a period of time. There was an example of one person (Samson) who was to live under this vow for all his life. There is speculation that John the baptist was also under this vow for life. Other than that, it was a vow that was taken for a period of time. At the end of the period of time, the person who did the Nazarite vow had to make a sacrifice and shave his head.

There is also no evidence that Jesus had long hair. At the time that Jesus walked the earth, the style was for men to have short hair.

lissa
the only time that a nazarite vow has been brought up in this thread was when cec mentioned it in relation to his pic.
i could make assumptions as to the meaning of your post, but i will avoid that.
please explain what your point is

thnx
steve

I presumed that the question had to do with that. I guess I presumed too much. Hubby and I have talked about these things so much that sometimes I jump the gun. I apolgize. Wasn't trying to mean anything. It is just something that has been going through my mind with this thread.

SweetLissa

Back