• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Sister Wives

wanderingsheep said:
I understand wanting to be loved and wanting to have someone there for you - but isn't being a number discounting your worth.

At least for us, any number used is only for disclosing the order of becoming part of the family, but it has no reflection on worth.... My mother was wife #6 of a serial 'monogamous' man. Very few would say that she was worth less than my father's first wife just because he had married and divorced 5 times before.

wanderingsheep said:
Is your love for others greater than your love for yourself?
Isn't that what a christian should be? like that old hymn 'They will know we are christians by our love"

wanderingsheep said:
the questions are why and how it makes life better. Isn't it better for a woman to wait, live righteously, and leave it in the Lord's hands
I would not say a plural marriage is better than monogamy, because it isn't in Gd's eyes. The bible says it is best to remain single.....provided that you do not lust, if so then you should marry to prevent sin. It is better to wait on Gd. No one should enter into a plural marriage because they "can't wait anymore" or to 'settle'. Just as with a monogamous marriage, one should be sure that it is the will of the lord before commiting. Gd's states that leaders of the church should be husband of one wife...IMO because it is time consuming to be a church leader and that would limit one's time with their family.

The show has really put an interest out to many of the lifestyle. The problem is we need to see that this lifestyle isn't what you see on tv. There is a ton of emotions involved, financial strain, and lots of noice. This show made our lives easy and almost party like. I was happy to see the show because the media has done a number and Big Love wasn't even close but I still want people to realize that relationships are work and you they are all sacred and have private moments. I chose this life not because of what you see on tv. Its not scripted and is always busy. He shared his time and this doesn't happen in all families. I think there is some things you can take from the show and one of them is how you are all one big happy seperate family. I hope that makes sense.

floridagirl you are so right. I am now a part of a family and it is such a great blessing and yes there are a ton of emotions involved. Not only the adults but also the children's emotions and feelings. There are a lot of behind the scene's actions and things that happen that others are not privy to and should not be privy to as they are personal family matters. There are also the normal everyday burdens of life and school and work that all take adjustments as well as the physical household.

Back