• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Sister Wives

Fairlight said:
steve said:
but a guy needs to at least have a dog house :D

Cute !
Do you speak from experience ? :lol:

Blessings,
Fairlight
not BAD experience :D
:D actually, i spend most of my time in my doghouse on 18 wheels :D
hmmm, maybe i should call it my cabin on the interstate?
but seriously, i agree with john that a man needs his own space where he can just hang out with the Lord, probably not a popular concept in mormanism.
the house is the womens "domain" and the bedroom is her private nest in which the man is her guest. i intend to have my own bedroom to which i can invite any or all of them as guests. "family bed" (including the children) in papa's room has always been attractive to me

POV of Sister Wives

While I really like Sister Wives; also like Big Love but that is another topic. Sister Wives has 100s and 100s and maybe even 1000+ hours of video tape. Out of all that tape we get 12 hours including commercials for a total of about 500 minutes (22 minutes per episode) including credits and title.

So we see not even 9 hours of this family in one season. At best we will 5% of what they taped. The idea is NOT to push poly. The idea is to sell advertising to sponsors who in turn want people to buy their product. The more tension, the more drama, the more problems, the better the story. We like problems in life. We like to see others have problems.

Hence the 300 people who die in a plane wreck out weigh the importance of the million who landed safely. So please keep in mind we are seeing just a small fraction of the lives of these people. Think of what we have seen in one hour and 20 minutes so far.

5 seconds of homeschool
showing the house.
introducing the drama and the players
We have seen work days.
We saw minutes of meals.
We saw 15 seconds of prayer time.

and tons and tons of off camera questions of Kody and company sitting on the couch.
Purpose of the show is to make money

steve said:
the house is the womens "domain" and the bedroom is her private nest in which the man is her guest. i intend to have my own bedroom to which i can invite any or all of them as guests. "family bed" (including the children) in papa's room has always been attractive to me

Homes often are the women's space in most cultures and religions, that is just the case in an culture based on agriculture and post industrialisation.
I think the 'inviting' thing is a bit...squiffy...though, admittedly it is not something I have to live with so good luck to you but comparing that way, with the way the Brown's do it or the family bed (but not sex bed) way it seems a lot less harmony inducing. I would feel a bit cheap also but again, it is not something I have to put up with (and wouldn't, frankly) so to each their own.

Children in a sex messy bed....ick :shock:
It just rubs me up the wrong way, but again, I am in a minority with that.

Faithful Servant said:
they do seem to be a compassionate, caring and respectful family.

Yes they certainly do. :)

Faithful Servant said:
But praise God that we can go to prayer for this family, as there is Power in Prayer! Prayers that their eyes will be open to the one True God & Faith. As they seem to genuially love one another and God, there is always hope for all God's children - both the lost & found.

Absolutely, without a doubt ! :)

Blessings,
Fairlight

Yes prayer is productive.

And what with all the war, pain, abuse and destruction in the world, it is SO worth your prayer time for one happy family to come over to your way of thinking..... :roll:

Said very well John! Too bad more women do not understand the importance of the head of the home having his own space. I think this is a major issue, one that deals with doing the things which please him? Not to mention that having his own space where he seeks God will only serve to benifit the rest of the family. I still stand on the premise that his life becomes our life.Therefore should we not encourage him to seek out time alone? Once again, well said. I agree!!!

isabella,
you must not have slept well last night and got up on the wrong side of the bed.
i would like to pray for you, but the wars are taking priority ;)

steve said:
isabella,
you must not have slept well last night and got up on the wrong side of the bed.
i would like to pray for you, but the wars are taking priority ;)

The bed is against the wall, there is only one side to get up on. :twisted:
I am sure the children in war zones will appreciate it more but thanks all the same.

Well again,

God has a different plan for each individual family, and it may not be what your own particular family has been called too. We truly haven't seen every single aspect of their lives, so again we shouldn't just assume things or pass judgement. Outside of the whole "Mormon/Principal issue," I don't have a problem with the family or the way in which they choose to conduct their family, sleeping arrangements, who works, the paying of bills, or weather or not Kody has his own private room/area or not. If it isn't a problem for Kody and his family, then thats none of my business. Apartently the living arrangements are working for them. But who knows, maybe Kody is considering a space of his own in the future, his own library, prayer room, den, bedroom, etc. Thats up to Kody, but from what he's shared in a whole 3 episodes he seems fine thus far.

I truly don't see why there is such concern in such unimportant/ non-life changing matters. The main concern of importance, should be prayer for this family to have their "spiritual blinders fall off from their false religon," and turn to the One True God & Faith. As far as Kody not being " a correct/true biblical patriarch/leader of his family," again we're not there with his family on a regular basis so none of us truly knows what kind of leader he truly is. I have the feeling that Kody has chosen to let his more balanced, firm but sensitive side be shown for now. As most people have preconceived notions of what polygamist men are usually like, Kody probably doesn't want to present his leadership or family in the same light as the FLDS cults that are out there. I think it's wise that he didn't "come out," like an unwavering dictator with an iron fist, or like a bull in china cabinet. That way the viewing public wouldn't say; " see he's just like those cult husbands who dominate and abuse their wives." Now pls understand that I'm NOT saying in any shape or form, that Christian men should not be the Godly patriarchal leader of their homes that God calls them to be. But for every family, the way in which God convicts the man to lead may be a little different, but Never out of line with scripture or God's will. Again we've only seen 3 to 4 shows now. So we don't know what Kody and his family will reveal at a later time. For now, I find it a blessing that this show is out there. On a whole, this family is presenting a "more positive light on pm." I'm glad that Kody's family is being shown, instead of the normal FLDS families that are always portrayed as the main example for pm. At the moment, I don't see any other "Christian pm families" stepping out in faith to share their families testimony. I pray that this show will encourage other "Christian pm families to come out as well." It's only the start. Not perfect, but none the less it is baby steps going forward. But if anyone truly doesn't like the show or is offended by it, it's really simple to just turn it off and not watch it. ;)

F.S. :)

With all due respect to our conglomerate opinions, at least as much respect as opinions are worth, the "Sister Wives" production is not the guideline nor example for Christian believers seeking His blessing on our lives. Like it or lump it, God has given us directions on how to live our personal and family lives. Go with the Browns, or Greens, or the Purples if you wish, but I will go with God's Word. In I Corinthians 11, He clearly, clearly teaches us about headship, leadership and following, both God and husbands. A godly family is not a democracy, the wives are not to be held responsible for the difficult responsibility of leadership. They should not be micro-managed either. Most of the women I know are intelligent, capable people that can competently handle the tasks and responsibilities that fall to their arena. BUT, the final word belongs to the husband. He is the one that God holds responsible. My earlier issue was about private space, but not because he needs a refuge, but because it is in keeping with headship and leadership. I think that is also what wifeone was saying (Wifeone, forgive me if I am wrong).

On another topic altogether, the spirit-attitude that I am seeing in this thread from some of the women here makes me seriously wonder if we are all on the right track regarding marriage at all. Mono or poly, God requires respect and honor to husbands. That is not what is coming through here. I am unashamedly using my own name, be angry with me if you will. My email and phone number are not hard to find if stones are to be thrown. :)

Greetings & Blessings All,

I'd just like to clairify that I have the utmost respect and compassion for all here at BF's. I'd also like to state that I Did Not say that Kody Browns family is the Prime/Main example of pm that any of us should follow. I'm simply saying that this particular family is some form of a "stepping stone, " on which other "Christian families can build upon," only in regard to the "coming out in public with pm on a whole." Not that the Brown family is "the poster family/children for all pm families." Again prayerfully consider any good that this family has to share, and discard what God would not be in agreement with. We don't "need to throw the baby out with the bathwater with this show," inorder to "be real Christians or truly saved."

Yes this family is practicing a false religion and view of pm. But their hearts towards one another seem to be pure, loving and respectful. Again, we've only seen 3 episodes thus far so we truly don't have a real clue or insight into how Mr.Brown leads or doesn't lead his family. However what we've seen thus far is a loving family working in unity through all of their struggles & joys. I guess I'm just not understanding what Mr. Brown should be exibiting in his behavior and treatment of his wives to prove to us that he is indeed a Godly leader of his own home. :? Should he not allow his wives to ever speak and share their thoughts/feelings? Would it make some here more happy if Mr.Brown talked more or "kept those unruly wives of his in line more?" I'm just not seeing the problem here, but maybe thats just me. I also know a few good/stable loving Christian families where the husbands are leading their family in a very biblical Christ honoring/patriarchal way, without having their own prayer rooms, study or whatever. They manage to go to men's prayer groups, or go for walks or in their basements when ever/where ever. As not having "their very own private space hasn't damaged their position in their homes, or their relationships with their Savior! So in the meantime, lets just continue to lift this particular family in prayer for the Lord's will to be done in their lives. As life is such a long learning journey, we don't truly know any of their hearts. God can take what the devil meant for evil with a false religion/prophet, and turn their hearts and lives for good, towards Him the One True Savior! :)

I do know the One True God as my Lord & Savior. As I know that my Savior is capable of excedingly more than any of us mere humans on this earth are! Which may just include the Salvation of the Brown family in the future. ;) I'd like to think that through prayer, continued study, etc that the good Lord is able to extend His Wisdom to us while watching this series. Pray for and act on Godly discernment, being wise as serpants and gentle as doves when watching this show. That way we won't be subject to any false teachings that this family may present along the way. Still being able to glean any good that God convicts us of while watching, and discarding the rest that God would not have us follow or agree with. I truly don't think any of us "Saved Christians," will fall for the lies of a false religion by viewing this series. If anything, God may just lay it on other "True Christian pm families," to step out and share their testimony as well. Again, not perfect, but baby steps, stepping stones for the biblical pm awakening of this season of life. ;)

God's Peace, Wisdom, Mercy & Love,
F.S. :)

If it wasn't for shows like Big Love and Sister Wives I would have never came to this sight. I thought all people who practiced polygamy lived on compounds. I surely wasn't hearing about plural marriage at church. Sometimes God uses technology to get our attention focused on Him. Once our focus is brought back around to Him we must remember that His teachings are what we are to follow. However, you can get glimpses of Truth even when people aren't following Christ. We are all His children, so He might choose someone from a different faith to use as an example such as the parable of the good Samaritan. I agree that we should never get caught up in anything books, shows, drama, chat rooms that takes too much of our time away from praying and praising God.

P.S.
F.S. I think it is sweet that you are praying for this family.

Greetings Lutherangirl!

It's good to see you posting here. :) As always, I do enjoy your balanced, compasssionate & wise shared insights here. I do agree that with any subject, book study, discussion groups or tv viewing that we need to be careful "not to be sucked in," by any false teachings or examples of daily living, weather it's inregard to mono or poly marriages. Being careful to keep God front & center in our lives, turning to only to Him for our real source of Godly Wisdom & direction for our lives. As the Great I AM is Greater than any TLC series on polygamy or anyone/anything! I will continue to pray for the Brown family, & for the many viewers watching this family that may not know the Lord as their true Savior. There is a matter of concern of course, for those viewers that don't know the One True God as their Savior. Concern for these "unsaved families," to not be led astray by this familie's false religion. :? But again our Mighty Savior is bigger than any of these issues. As our Savior is Mighty to Save & move any mountain, even mountains of false religions - Amen! ;) Again this particular show is just the beginning of an awakening to the truths of pm. I do hope and pray that God will convict other "Christian PM families," to step out to share their testimony to show the world that it is "Biblical & not just a Mormon thing!" A family wise & brave enough to teach the "Bibilical truths of pm, & dispelling the false Mormon teachings on it." So lets be careful to be wise as serpants and gentle as doves, keeping our eyes & hearts fixed on the One True God! :D

F.S.

P.S. Thanks btw Lutherangirl, as you're a Sweet friend/Sister in the Lord yourself! ;)
Lets include prayer for the Brown family at our next bible study meeting.

lutherangirl said:
If it wasn't for shows like Big Love and Sister Wives I would have never came to this sight. I thought all people who practiced polygamy lived on compounds. I surely wasn't hearing about plural marriage at church. Sometimes God uses technology to get our attention focused on Him. Once our focus is brought back around to Him we must remember that His teachings are what we are to follow. However, you can get glimpses of Truth even when people aren't following Christ. We are all His children, so He might choose someone from a different faith to use as an example such as the parable of the good Samaritan. I agree that we should never get caught up in anything books, shows, drama, chat rooms that takes too much of our time away from praying and praising God.

I very much agree with this. I do realize that these shows have a purpose. I guess my concern was that some people have gotten sooooo excited about "Sister Wives" and have put so much stock in it, so to speak...that it troubled me. It would also be so nice to see a similar show with a Christian family. :)
Blessings,
Fairlight

Fairlight said:
I very much agree with this. I do realize that these shows have a purpose. I guess my concern was that some people have gotten sooooo excited about "Sister Wives" and have put so much stock in it, so to speak...that it troubled me. It would also be so nice to see a similar show with a Christian family. :)
Blessings,
Fairlight

I think that was what F.S. and others feel too that it would be nice to see a Christian family. There was a thread awhile back on the Ladies forum about families from BF doing a show. I don't know if the ladies were serious or not, but I'd much rather watching "one of our own families" than "Sister Wives" or "Big Love". :D

Greetings Lutherangirl,

Thanks for clairifying my points exactally, although I thought that I did that, lol! ;) I agree Sister, I'd also rather watch a "real Christian pm family," especially one from this group on a series regarding pm, as was one of my main "missed points." I'm really not that excited about this show per say, as I guess I don't understand why a few are so "excited about the non-issues of the show either." Again, the show is hopefully a spring board for encouragement, prompting Christian pm families to make a series sharing their Christian/Biblical view on pm. Wow I feel so redundant now in expressing that, lol! ;) Anywho take care all and go forth In His Name, Might, Power & Love! :)

F.S.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting a message here other than since catching a glimpse of sister wives on the tv the other night i've been drawn to want to know more, maybe its just curiosity, maybe its temptation. I've never actually seen the show I only caught the tail end of what looked like an interview.

I guess the question I have stems from wanting to know more about your feelings as sister wives. I understand the idea of not being alone but don't you ever feel lonely - especially at night in your room by yourself knowing your husband is with someone else you "care" about. I understand wanting to be loved and wanting to have someone there for you - but isn't being a number discounting your worth. Is your love for others greater than your love for yourself?

I do not ask these questions to disturb or stir up contention, I ask in innocent blatant honesty of wanting to know your true feelings.

Maybe its because I'm a single mother, and have been a single mother since my daughters were born (twins - 10yrs old), and understand loneliness and frustration, stress and anxiety, so I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of this unique "loving" lifestyle, a lifestyle I've grown up learning is wrong by society standards and religious standards.

I guess the same could be said on many other issues in today's day and age. It's not surprising that it exists in today the questions are why and how it makes life better.

Isn't it better for a woman to wait, live righteously, and leave it in the Lord's hands - I believe everything happens for a reason, I don't always understand it but I believe it the good and the bad - I also believe everything happens in God's timing not mine. I think that is part of why our heart aches at times because as nice as it would be to have love and be part of a household with a caring loving husband, a father for my children it may not always be what God wants in our life at the moment. Our trials are different and vary greatly - their there to strengthen us and build us up.

Being strong isn't always easy.

Welcome, Wandering Sheep:

I see this is your first post. Glad you spoke up. We all look forward to getting acquainted.

I'll leave the wives to answer about their own feelings, but thought I'd attempt an address a couple of other issues.

wanderingsheep said:
I understand the idea of not being alone but don't you ever feel lonely ...

For what it's worth, there are 9 people in my house -- me, a wife, her 4 children, a child's spouse, a grandbaby, and my adopted son. And I'm lonely at times. There have been other times while alone working in a strange city where I wasn't lonely in the least. Is it possible that loneliness is more of an internal state than one determined by circumstances? I think so.

- especially at night in your room by yourself knowing your husband is with someone else you "care" about. I understand wanting to be loved and wanting to have someone there for you - but isn't being a number discounting your worth. Is your love for others greater than your love for yourself?

I'm a man, and speaking as such, so take my observation as you will, but ... First, I guess you can look at the cup as 3/4 full or 1/4 empty, right? Having the wholehearted love of your husband, every bit as much as if you WERE the only woman in the world, and yet in a male-healthy way (rather than a dime-store romance novel obsession) should fill up the cup about half way, don't you think?

And is having a great friend in another woman to share life with when hubby has his attention turned outward, as we men do, a bonus to help fill the cup further?

Then again, having private time with your husband some of the time has to be better than being alone all the time doesn't it? Shoot! I know of wives who say it's a great idea because they could USE a bit of alone time themselves.

Some even say that their cup isn't 3/4 full, it overflows!

And finally, the wife of my youth left several years ago. Sometime later God graced me with my current wife, CindyW. I still consider them both to be my wives. I pray for them each daily, etc. I don't think of them or present them to God as #1 and #2, but as my wives, by name, my blessings direct from Him.

I have known men who seemed to be obsessed with numbers. I'm thinking of one whose wife told me that she felt like a quarter on one of those cards where you're 'posed to collect all 50 states. *sigh* But bedpost-notching is not any more likely or unlikely in a poly man than in a mono man or an uncommitted bachelor. If you court a man and sense that to be his attitude, regardless of his mono/poly thinking, I as another man suggest that you run, not walk, to the nearest exit. If, however, he sees you as a separate adorable individual, interesting and worthy of love and attention and provision and all that good stuff, feel free to join his tribe. (Hint: Look at how he treats his existing wife or wives. Can't do that with a single man!)

I do not ask these questions to disturb or stir up contention, I ask in innocent blatant honesty of wanting to know your true feelings.

Understood, and accepted in that spirit.

Isn't it better for a woman to wait, live righteously, and leave it in the Lord's hands/ ... as nice as it would be to have love and be part of a household with a caring loving husband, a father for my children it may not always be what God wants in our life at the moment.

SOUNDS right. That's what the churches teach. And certainly the desire to live righteous is the right desire. But applying that statement to our lives? That all depends on what righteous living MEANS, does it not? Are we willing to accept a given church's definition thereof, when there are so very many denominations teaching so very many differing doctrines? Or is it better to get God's take on the subject directly from the Bible?

Assuming the latter, here are a few things that God's Word says He wants in your life all the time.
  • It is NOT good for man(kind) to be alone. I'm agonna fix dat. NOW. -- Gen 2:18 paraphrased
  • I don't mess about. I put the lonely into families. -- Ps 68:5,6 paraphrased
  • Younger (than 60) single ladies (the ones that WERE married / in a relationship that shoulda been a marriage, but no longer are)? Get married. -- 1Tim 5:14 paraphrased
With apologies, Paul had some ideas about folks during tough times, but he also wrote that last. God? His will is pretty plain. He desires us to live in familes, of the married variety (not single).

But what of the "wait on Him" idea. Sounds so holy, right? Except ... there are more women than men. Usually are unless someone is doing a social experiment like China, where they kill the baby girls. So then what? Does God make an exception for the "excess" women? Love them less? Who wants to volunteer to be an excess? Did they? You? So what are His options?
  • Wash his hands of us? After all He's up there and we're down here?
  • Change the natural law so it now IS good to be alone?
  • Bump off excess females? Any volunteers?
  • Make more men from the dirt? There's lots of that around.
  • Control conception so the numbers stay even?
  • All humans born male, but take a nap, lose a rib, and gain a mate once they've matured enough? For some of us, that would be a looooooong time!
  • All born androgynous and at the appropriate age we eat an apple or a mango and gain differentiation?
  • All born hermaphrodite, so two sexes aren't necessary?
  • Say "You two, make a family. And you three? Do the same." Oh wait! That one's all through the Bible!
Which leaves me with the idea that whether or not PM is the perfect ideal, it is indeed God's perfect provision for our imperfect world, just as a Step-father in your children's lives may not be as ideal as a biological one, but it is a perfect provision when the original is not available.

Sorry for going on so long. Hope this helps with some of your misgivings.

CecilW said:
Sorry for going on so long. Hope this helps with some of your misgivings.

That was perfect. One of the best posts I have read in awhile. And much better then what I was going to write.

Wandering sheep,
I cannot answer most of your questions as I am the only wife in my marriage so far. But you spoke of being a number and it caused me to remember when I was struggling with the idea of my husband loving another wife. I asked him about it and his reply was that he loved all of our children, right? He doesn't love our firstborn any more than the second, third, or fourth born. I could relate to that because of course I do not love any one of our children more than the others. So perhaps he could love another woman and not diminish what he and I have together. I hope this helps.............AnneMarie

Back