• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Slavery by another name

It's something I heard and not sure of who said it. I just remembered it is all.

I always heard Gerry Ford.

Web search says yes, but who knows if he was heavily influenced by others.

From: https://www.monticello.org/site/res...ive-you-everything-you-wantspurious-quotation . . . disputing that it had anything to do with Thomas Jefferson.

"Its first known appearance in print was in 1952, although it is most likely older. It appeared frequently in newspapers in the 1950s (usually unattributed), and was even used in political cartoons. It was copyrighted in 1957 by the General Features Corporation, as part of a syndicated newspaper feature called "Today's Chuckle." It later became a popular saying among Republican politicians. Governor Harold W. Handley of Indiana used it in his annual message to the Indiana General Assembly in 1961;3 Barry Goldwater was quoted using it in his 1964 run for president;4 and Gerald Ford is on record using it in an address to a joint session of Congress on August 12, 1974.5 It was attributed to Ford as early as 1954, however,6 and Ford's assistant, Robert Hartmann, said that Ford claimed to have heard the quotation "early in his political career" from Harvard McClain at the Economic Club of Chicago.7"

Back