• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support So, it’s started…

Just-a-man

Male
Recently, a couple of friends from our old “church” confronted me about my new-held beliefs on PM. This didn’t as a surprise since I knew it would come up and have to be defended eventually. My wife brought this up to some of her friends the other day and, I’m assuming, poured her heart out with all the feelings of disgust, betrayal, shock and opposition to the mere thought of PM. One of her friend’s husbands must’ve heard the ongoing conversation, thus, the topic was brought up with me just a few days later. From what we discussed, the main reasons they asked were due to the emotional impact it was having on my wife and that all of this PM talk was going to destroy our marriage if I didn’t give it up. Willing to go more in depth on the discussion, but in general, we bounced back and forth from, [me] “I saw what scripture stated on the matter and now believe it’s a valid, God-honoring form of a family” to, [them] “You suddenly know better than all the pastors and churches that teach on this? You’re just discontent with one wife now that you think PM is legitimate. We don’t want you to ruin your marriage. Etc..” They definitely came out of love but it’s obvious their view of me has changed. I say this as matter-of-fact as I would rather hold to biblical truth than allow ever-changing emotions to direct myself and my family.

I didn’t tell my wife about our talk. In fact, I’ve even told her I had no resentment or anger towards her when she divulged that her friends were now in the loop. I did warn her what’s going to come in terms of others adding to the divide, whether they realize it or not, while simultaneously reminding her of the invitation that was extended by different women on this forum to talk as well. Currently, that invite is only seen as a ploy to “brainwash me into PM.”

That being said, she’s definitely at this point from the “First Wife Syndrome” description:

“The fourth and last of our list of symptoms of the “FWS” is closely aligned with the other three. However, insecurity deserves to be considered as a single issue. One of the key issues in a successful marriage is the trust and security that a wife has in her husband. When any or all of the above issues have begun to emerge, she feels the safety of her whole being is undermined. She will have no safe refuge. She will begin to question his integrity, his reliability and his love. She will likely feel she has to evaluate everything he says and wonder what he is doing when he is not in her direct presence. Her insecurity will cause her to pull away from her husband and perhaps seek the counsel and security of friends and relatives. The friends and family will most certainly not understand what is happening, therefore furthering the polarization of the family”

On top of all this, I had seen someone on a thread mention the book “Pagan Christianity.” Just like it says on the main BF page, "If the institutional church has been wrong about this for 500 years, what else might they be wrong about?" I was asking myself this same question. So, I bought the book and almost halfway through. It’s articulated a lot of stuff that I’ve been feeling for some time about the institutional church but haven’t been able to put my finger on. We recently left our “church” (quotations indicating that I/we are the church and not a building or “special place”) a couple months ago for unrelated reasons and were in the customary church-shopping phase. The timing lines up well in terms of not yet having plugged into a different “church’s” culture and programs, etc. and I’ve told my wife that I’d much rather us gather with Christians without all of the institutional mandates (now I just have to find one around here). We’ve gone through some of what that looks like (1 Cor 12-14) but this idea for her falls into the same bucket as PM – crazy and foreign. I’ve told her the big reasons for pursuing organic congregational gatherings as modeled in the NT are for maximizing our joy in Christ and for His glory. In short, she intends to go back to our old “church” with or without me.

I get it – her trust in me is shaken and this is a lot of potential change coming at her even with leaving PM out of our talks. Could this be too much change at once?

Seeing as she still wants to listen to sermons from multiple preachers and attend the customary “church”/small groups, is it biblical and/or prudent for me to be against this since I want to be there with her when any other man is teaching scripture? I can’t help but feel that this is her way of finding a good leader/authority AKA head to put herself under now that her husband has “gone off the deep end.” Am I way off base here?

Any guiding wisdom on loving/cherishing/defending/honoring/teaching my wife now that she believes I don’t want to anymore because of PM?

I’ve told my wife that I’d much rather us gather with Christians without all of the institutional mandates (now I just have to find one around here). We’ve gone through some of what that looks like (1 Cor 12-14) but this idea for her falls into the same bucket as PM – crazy and foreign.
If you "have to find one", you're still church-shopping. You're trying to find a group of Christians to fellowship with who already agree with your current take on theology. That's how every new church starts, even if they don't call themselves a "church".

I don't think you've fully comprehended the nature of the Church yet. You understand the church is not a building - but you're still instinctively looking for a "church". Step back and look at this more broadly.

The Church is people. God wants His people to function as a body, and work for Him. To do that, we have to actually get along with each other and work together. Unfortunately, instead Christians try to split up into little groups who agree with each other on all theology. And end up too small to change the world.

The church is not a building. It is all people who follow Christ. Stop looking for a tiny little group of people who think the same as you. You probably won't find them. Rather, start interacting with the Christians who live nearest to you. If your wife wants to attend a Sunday service, take her to whatever service is the shortest drive, regardless of denomination (within reason). Meet the Christians who go there. Invite people around for meals. Start interacting casually with them. Are there any other Christians living on your street? Get to know them.

These Christians living on your street, in your neighbourhood, are your local church. Even if you completely disagree with their theology. And even if they drive in five different directions on Sunday mornings (or stay home then).

The reason I make a point of this is that this attitude is not only correct (in my opinion), but would be far less scary for your wife. She feels like you're trying to find a little cult. But really, you're just trying to find the true Church. And I'm telling you where it is. It is all around you. And finding it involves doing things she is already comfortable with - going to meet them wherever they are at (e.g. Sunday morning services, established home groups), and inviting them to meet you where you are at (e.g. inviting people around for a meal, or for a play-date for the children). Finding the Church is just normal life.

The perfect fellowship does not exist. The New Testament never talks about finding the perfect fellowship. Rather, it talks about "the Church in Ephesus" (ie, all the Christians who happened to live in Ephesus) and so forth. They weren't hunting out the right people to fellowship with. They were fellowshipping with each other simply because they were fellow believers. "Breaking bread from house to house" - ie sharing meals with neighbours who were close enough to go "house to house".

Don't fight against your wife to find a fellowship you think is "correct". Rather, team up with your wife to simply meet your local Church - the people. Do it all together, including meeting both the people she'd like to meet with and those you'd like to meet with.

I think that attitude to "church" would be far less scary for her and help to solve all of this:
I get it – her trust in me is shaken and this is a lot of potential change coming at her even with leaving PM out of our talks. Could this be too much change at once?

Seeing as she still wants to listen to sermons from multiple preachers and attend the customary “church”/small groups, is it biblical and/or prudent for me to be against this since I want to be there with her when any other man is teaching scripture? I can’t help but feel that this is her way of finding a good leader/authority AKA head to put herself under now that her husband has “gone off the deep end.” Am I way off base here?

Welcome to the crucible. The real fire of testing has only just begun.

A few items to put on your action list...

Don't make PM the main topic. It is the elephant in the room. You don't need to push it. Address it when it comes up as she brings it up, but otherwise, just live life and pray.

Love her like crazy. Whatever her love language, speak it. She may withhold sex, but give her extra hugs, pull her close in the middle of the night, send random texts of appreciation, etc. She needs to know, see and feel that you still love her. Tell her often.

Do not argue. Do not fight. You are the man, resolute, solid, no backing up, but gentle and sensitive toward her needs, particularly emotionally.

For others who come at you, stand on the Word. Ask where God calls it sin. Ask where mono is commanded. Know your Bible and understand history, both secular and western Christian.

Study all of Scripture. Your bigger questions are more than valid. This is red pill stuff... your friends will leave and you will have a new set, but first you will walk in the wilderness.

May Yah bless and guide you on this journey. Feel free to PM me if you want/need to talk!

Praying for you brother. Hang in there. Stand firm on Truth and righteousness. Love your wife.

Brace yourself though... there are plenty on this path who just about lose all friends and family over the the truth of Biblical polygyny! ... Monogamy is a sacred idol strongly worship by the modern Christian “church”.

Why are you here? Because poly is true or because you want another wife?

Would a commander take his soldiers into battle while they are engaging in mutiny? No, that's a good way to get killed.

Your wife is rejecting your spiritual authority, now's not the time to be looking for a wife or pushing the poly issue in any way at all other than to state it's true and why if she brings it up. Now is the time to reestablish your position as spiritual leader of your family; the one who guides and teaches them in spiritual matters, who they look to for the truth on spiritual matters.

And that mostly isn't about her, but you. It sounds like she wasn't on board with why you left the last church, like you are prone to making wild changes without laying the foundation to get everyone on board, without having established yourself as the spiritual leader they follow (as opposed to friends/family/pastor).

Don't get defensive about that, that is how most husbands are; we've all been trained by the church to abdicate our role as spiritual leader of the family to pastors. These are just the foundations you need to build if you expect her to follow you into difficult waters.

Your wife wants to be spiritually fed. Great! Are you doing your part to provide that nourishment so that she doesn't have to go looking for it on her own?

Also, something that was key in our family’s walk thru Pagan Christianity was the audio book. We all went thru it on a long trip. And I would pause it at certain points for open family discussions.
@Verifyveritas76 makes a good point. Our family's journey out of organized religion (and mine out of the pulpit) began years before poly. Initially, I was seeing and studying things regarding pagan elements in the church but I quickly turned it into a family Bible study that we would take in bite sized pieces so they could see and process the same things I was learning and could see multiple credible witnesses to the errors I was learning. Means you have to study ahead of them, but also you have to know when to hold the brakes so too many things don't change too quickly upsetting the apple cart.

Study, but shepherd your family along in your studies so they understand the 'why' regarding changes.

If you "have to find one", you're still church-shopping. You're trying to find a group of Christians to fellowship with who already agree with your current take on theology. That's how every new church starts, even if they don't call themselves a "church".

I don't think you've fully comprehended the nature of the Church yet. You understand the church is not a building - but you're still instinctively looking for a "church". Step back and look at this more broadly.

The Church is people. God wants His people to function as a body, and work for Him. To do that, we have to actually get along with each other and work together. Unfortunately, instead Christians try to split up into little groups who agree with each other on all theology. And end up too small to change the world.

The church is not a building. It is all people who follow Christ. Stop looking for a tiny little group of people who think the same as you. You probably won't find them. Rather, start interacting with the Christians who live nearest to you. If your wife wants to attend a Sunday service, take her to whatever service is the shortest drive, regardless of denomination (within reason). Meet the Christians who go there. Invite people around for meals. Start interacting casually with them. Are there any other Christians living on your street? Get to know them.

These Christians living on your street, in your neighbourhood, are your local church. Even if you completely disagree with their theology. And even if they drive in five different directions on Sunday mornings (or stay home then).

The reason I make a point of this is that this attitude is not only correct (in my opinion), but would be far less scary for your wife. She feels like you're trying to find a little cult. But really, you're just trying to find the true Church. And I'm telling you where it is. It is all around you. And finding it involves doing things she is already comfortable with - going to meet them wherever they are at (e.g. Sunday morning services, established home groups), and inviting them to meet you where you are at (e.g. inviting people around for a meal, or for a play-date for the children). Finding the Church is just normal life.

The perfect fellowship does not exist. The New Testament never talks about finding the perfect fellowship. Rather, it talks about "the Church in Ephesus" (ie, all the Christians who happened to live in Ephesus) and so forth. They weren't hunting out the right people to fellowship with. They were fellowshipping with each other simply because they were fellow believers. "Breaking bread from house to house" - ie sharing meals with neighbours who were close enough to go "house to house".

Don't fight against your wife to find a fellowship you think is "correct". Rather, team up with your wife to simply meet your local Church - the people. Do it all together, including meeting both the people she'd like to meet with and those you'd like to meet with.

I think that attitude to "church" would be far less scary for her and help to solve all of this:

You're exactly right, @FollowingHim - I'm trying to find the true Church, but it's obvious that my approach is still defaulting to the same old "segregated groups" thinking as opposed to one body with members all over the place. A huge sigh of relief was breathed as soon as I told my wife we should gather with other Christians in the more traditional sense in which we are accustom. I also look forward to our exploring different ways to engage the body as well (hanging out with neighbors, eating meals together, etc.).

Thank you for getting my perspective back on track.

Welcome to the crucible. The real fire of testing has only just begun.

A few items to put on your action list...

Don't make PM the main topic. It is the elephant in the room. You don't need to push it. Address it when it comes up as she brings it up, but otherwise, just live life and pray.

Love her like crazy. Whatever her love language, speak it. She may withhold sex, but give her extra hugs, pull her close in the middle of the night, send random texts of appreciation, etc. She needs to know, see and feel that you still love her. Tell her often.

Do not argue. Do not fight. You are the man, resolute, solid, no backing up, but gentle and sensitive toward her needs, particularly emotionally.

For others who come at you, stand on the Word. Ask where God calls it sin. Ask where mono is commanded. Know your Bible and understand history, both secular and western Christian.

Study all of Scripture. Your bigger questions are more than valid. This is red pill stuff... your friends will leave and you will have a new set, but first you will walk in the wilderness.

May Yah bless and guide you on this journey. Feel free to PM me if you want/need to talk!

I've quickly learned that the elephant only needs addressed when she brings it up for the time being. Until then, the mission is to learn to lead the wife that's already been given to me and move forward with our lives.

Through all this re-examination of living out my faith and being an honest student of the Word, Proverbs 25:2 keeps putting it all together each day as mysteries become more clear:

"It is the glory of God to conceal a thing; but the honor of kings is to search out a matter."

Means you have to study ahead of them, but also you have to know when to hold the brakes so too many things don't change too quickly upsetting the apple cart.

Study, but shepherd your family along in your studies so they understand the 'why' regarding changes.

This is definitely my tendency. As soon as I find out something, whatever it may be, the urge is to immediately implement rather than gently and patiently preparing the way for change and the 'why' behind the change. I can only imagine how difficult that makes it for my wife to follow and submit. Probably comes across as pure chaos at times.....

Would a commander take his soldiers into battle while they are engaging in mutiny? No, that's a good way to get killed.

Great point, I like this analogy

Your wife is rejecting your spiritual authority, now's not the time to be looking for a wife or pushing the poly issue in any way at all other than to state it's true and why if she brings it up. Now is the time to reestablish your position as spiritual leader of your family; the one who guides and teaches them in spiritual matters, who they look to for the truth on spiritual matters.

Poly isn't even being discussed or pushed for the foreseeable future. I'm waiting until she brings it up or if it somehow comes up elsewhere. For the time being, I need to learn how to lead my own house and show her just how much she is cherished and loved.

And that mostly isn't about her, but you. It sounds like she wasn't on board with why you left the last church, like you are prone to making wild changes without laying the foundation to get everyone on board, without having established yourself as the spiritual leader they follow (as opposed to friends/family/pastor).

Don't get defensive about that, that is how most husbands are; we've all been trained by the church to abdicate our role as spiritual leader of the family to pastors. These are just the foundations you need to build if you expect her to follow you into difficult waters.

Your wife wants to be spiritually fed. Great! Are you doing your part to provide that nourishment so that she doesn't have to go looking for it on her own?

For some context, we both felt very strongly about leaving our last "church" since there was a consistent pattern of avoiding difficult subjects, especially those where it was a kingdom/moral issue but labeled as too political. But you're right in that I have been known to make changes without laying the groundwork first and prepare her for the "why" behind the desire for change. I'm sure that sharing my desire for another wife is what's causing the rejection. The different method of gathering with other Christians was just icing on the unwelcome cake.

Thank you for the challenge - I'm ready to become a better leader and to nourish her with the Word! I'm tired of lazily relying on pastors and others to do it for me. This duty was given to me, not them. We'll be starting a study together (not on PM ;)) here in the next few days to get the ball rolling.

Are you always this agreeable?

Ok, so ......... take it or leave it... learn, study, research, DON'T JUMP TO QUICKLY! And do not through the wife out with the bath water. Teach her do not shove it fown her throat. Give her the time she needs. Be gentle, patient, kind, loving, learn to be the best husband to your first wife and in time she will understand that it is a God thing not a sex thing. If it is truly something Yahweh is leading you to He will also lead your wife. Not every good family will have more than 1 wife and not every good single woman will get married.

Back