• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Some thoughts in the way of me feeling perfectly right about going the polygyny route

I'm not sure how thrilled I should get at the thought of more than one woman. I'm actually still single.
Best solution for your question is...more testosterone.

You would far more appreaciate women and their presence in your life. But there is something far more important.

In long run, your needs and desires must be satisfied. You being dead, depressed or bitter, all consenquences of disregarding needs and desires, makes you useless to yourself and Lord.

I sense dilemma between Lord' work and wives in your writing. Lord insisting on being first is about Him being loved and you doing taks expected of you. He has zero interest in being magical toy for wish fullfilment and you bringing disharmony to His kingdom.

Since both of you have free will, it more about cooperation than you just being obedient and sacrificing yourself.

But what I'm looking for in a potential testimony from someone is, do you find that 2 wives isn't double-trouble after all, somehow?
Benjamin Franklin is quoted as saying "He who raises a large family does, while he yet lives, stand a broader mark for sorrow, but then he stands a broader mark for pleasure too."
More wives will often mean more children. Jacob/Israel told Pharaoh that his days had been short and evil compared to his father's. He had what we call drama and challenges from having a large family.
My husband got a second last year, she had a son already and now they have a little daughter. I dont see more trouble....I see more family.
To anyone hasn’t noticed, women typically have a few more feelings than men do. Work with those feelings and make friends with them, or ignore them to the detriment of your relationship.
This made me chuckle. I love our new additions and did from the start, but I had some adjusting to do and new aspects to life to get used to. I'm glad at this point that things feel settled in and normal. Even the 3 month old has her routine now. Working with feelings may be good, but just being able to talk about them is huge and important.
Taking good care of your wife/wives == serving Lord
This is very much the way my husband feels. Raising the children that The LORD calls His heritage to live in the way they should is a worthwhile way to spend your life.

You probably shouldn't make it a goal to have 2 or more wives, but prepare for a family and once you have a wife, be a good husband. The book says that he who has will be given more, and he that has not will lose even what he had. I have seen that law in action.
If you are faithful in what He gives you, He may bless you with more.

I know my husband feels blessed.

You probably shouldn't make it a goal to have 2 or more wives, but prepare for a family and once you have a wife, be a good husband.

Perhaps not a goal but instead an intention of availability, a willingness to meet the call if our Father so directs one's steps.

I'll also agree that it's a scriptural and even biological imperative for a man to be a good husband, but plural marriage is not something a man earns by becoming Super Husband. No woman -- much less no woman currently alone, uncovered and ungrounded -- deserves for her current or future husband to be anything other than ordinary.

@Joleneakamama, your husband now has two wives in a significant sense for the same reason he initially had one wife. Both you and your sister wife hitched your sails to him because you assessed him to be a good man. He didn't have to be Jesus, but you each had confidence that he would not be Judas or Herod, either.

It's also always worthwhile in the context of discussions like this to remind ourselves that it's a canard that polygyny has anything whatsoever to do with exploitation of women.

The opposite is true.

A man being willing to take on an additional wife is at its heart one of the most profound demonstrations of generosity he could possibly exhibit.

It's a gynocentric, blindered perspective to put primary focus on the extra sex the man is (supposedly) going to get, because it distracts the discussion from recognizing the actual bulk of what will change in that man's life. Going from one to two wives, a man has now multiplied his baseline responsibility for ensuring provisioning and protection as well as for due benevolence. This entails more things to organize, more things to implement, more things to maintain and repair, and more conflicts to resolve. More than all those, however, just the increase in time, effort and resources devoted to the art of stabilizing female emotional volatility far outweighs any physical intimacy benefits that accrue from having an additional sexual partner.

Men who fail to prepare for this are in for a rude awakening.

Women who fail to recognize this are simply delusional.

Creating a plural family is much more of a gift on the husband's part than are the sacrifices made by the first wife. Our culture hasn't yet returned to recognizing this, but that just means that those of you men proclaiming your availability for polygyny are asserting yourself as the supply that will meet the eventual demand. George Gilder explained this in regard to capitalism -- how capitalism is improperly tarred as exploitation of preexisting demand, but in almost all cases those who create a new product initially have to do so out of the goodness of their own hearts, risking the possibility that investment can be fruitless if demand never shows up -- because demand can't even exist if the supply isn't there to be demanded. The same is true right now of polygyny.

The demand (lonely women, mostly in poverty, accompanied in many cases by orphans) is actually there, but those who could potentially express that demand are as of yet clueless about what would solve the problem -- so I repeat: it is a leap-of-faith act of generosity just for a man to be willing to form a plural family.

Perhaps not a goal but instead an intention of availability, a willingness to meet the call if our Father so directs one's steps.

I'll also agree that it's a scriptural and even biological imperative for a man to be a good husband, but plural marriage is not something a man earns by becoming Super Husband. No woman -- much less no woman currently alone, uncovered and ungrounded -- deserves for her current or future husband to be anything other than ordinary.

@Joleneakamama, your husband now has two wives in a significant sense for the same reason he initially had one wife. Both you and your sister wife hitched your sails to him because you assessed him to be a good man. He didn't have to be Jesus, but you each had confidence that he would not be Judas or Herod, either.

It's also always worthwhile in the context of discussions like this to remind ourselves that it's a canard that polygyny has anything whatsoever to do with exploitation of women.

The opposite is true.

A man being willing to take on an additional wife is at its heart one of the most profound demonstrations of generosity he could possibly exhibit.

It's a gynocentric, blindered perspective to put primary focus on the extra sex the man is (supposedly) going to get, because it distracts the discussion from recognizing the actual bulk of what will change in that man's life. Going from one to two wives, a man has now multiplied his baseline responsibility for ensuring provisioning and protection as well as for due benevolence. This entails more things to organize, more things to implement, more things to maintain and repair, and more conflicts to resolve. More than all those, however, just the increase in time, effort and resources devoted to the art of stabilizing female emotional volatility far outweighs any physical intimacy benefits that accrue from having an additional sexual partner.

Men who fail to prepare for this are in for a rude awakening.

Women who fail to recognize this are simply delusional.

Creating a plural family is much more of a gift on the husband's part than are the sacrifices made by the first wife. Our culture hasn't yet returned to recognizing this, but that just means that those of you men proclaiming your availability for polygyny are asserting yourself as the supply that will meet the eventual demand. George Gilder explained this in regard to capitalism -- how capitalism is improperly tarred as exploitation of preexisting demand, but in almost all cases those who create a new product initially have to do so out of the goodness of their own hearts, risking the possibility that investment can be fruitless if demand never shows up -- because demand can't even exist if the supply isn't there to be demanded. The same is true right now of polygyny.

The demand (lonely women, mostly in poverty, accompanied in many cases by orphans) is actually there, but those who could potentially express that demand are as of yet clueless about what would solve the problem -- so I repeat: it is a leap-of-faith act of generosity just for a man to be willing to form a plural family.
Not much of a response as it is a general statement. I am not on the forum much at all anymore but I’m so glad you’re back to read your insights 🙂

so I repeat: it is a leap-of-faith act of generosity just for a man to be willing to form a plural family.
I would say that this statement is not unreasonable.

No woman -- much less no woman currently alone, uncovered and ungrounded -- deserves for her current or future husband to be anything other than ordinary.
Perhaps. But I would say that ordinary should still be functional, and many men don't even measure up to that minimal standard now.

Just simply committing instead of just using women, providing instead of mooching, and parenting instead of letting children have their whims and preferences coddled to, is sadly getting rare.

Perhaps. But I would say that ordinary should still be functional, and many men don't even measure up to that minimal standard now.
That's a whataboutism argument, and it's easily countered by another one: women in equal measure to men don't even measure up to that minimal standard.

None of that negates the fact that women are better off covered by a substandard man than to not be covered at all.

Just simply committing instead of just using women, providing instead of mooching, and parenting instead of letting children have their whims and preferences coddled to, is sadly getting rare.
I agree, but, again, everything you mentioned is just as true for women as for men.

I'm all for men being the best men they can be -- but not because women are simply entitled to men upping their game no matter how little those women bring to the table.

I'm all for men being the best men they can be -- but not because women are simply entitled to men upping their game no matter how little those women bring to the table.
It’s marital capitalism.
The women that bring the most to the table should be able to pick from the best that is available. And vice versa.
There should be no argument about qualifications.

I agree, but, again, everything you mentioned is just as true for women as for men.
Yes and no. There seems to be far more held against a woman for having multiple sexual partners. The man whores are admired, but the women disdained.

The differences in how past relationships are viewed is part of why I started that thread "dating and relationship resumes" years ago.
Women may be thinking they have a lot to offer, but their past may be one that gives a man no confidence in her ability to be serious and commit. Then too, it seemed some are expecting a married man to pursue them like a virgin teen ager with a perpetual hard on. They seemed clueless to the kind of qualities that the married man would notice (I mean beyond physical attractiveness).
It didn't go very far, or do much to bridge the "expectation gap," but was good for some laughs.

Yes and no. There seems to be far more held against a woman for having multiple sexual partners. The man whores are admired, but the women disdained.

The differences in how past relationships are viewed is part of why I started that thread "dating and relationship resumes" years ago.
Women may be thinking they have a lot to offer, but their past may be one that gives a man no confidence in her ability to be serious and commit. Then too, it seemed some are expecting a married man to pursue them like a virgin teen ager with a perpetual hard on. They seemed clueless to the kind of qualities that the married man would notice (I mean beyond physical attractiveness).
It didn't go very far, or do much to bridge the "expectation gap," but was good for some laughs.
The purpose of dating is to see compatibility. Lust can make our eyes foggy. So we need fruit of the spirit’s - self control. That doesn’t mean you can’t build up attraction, but you don’t need to be kissing her on the lips to build attraction. Sometimes eye contact and light touching makes a bigger impact. So during the dating process - the focus should be on compatibility and pray on it to our Heavenly Father through his Son - Lord Jesus Christ.

If she’s a virgin - a Christian - bears fruit of the spirit - she’s compatible with you - you have her father’s permission - prayed on it - then she’s a great candidate for marriage imo.

I have appreciated people on this forum who have given me thoughtful input in the past, as well as prayers (and these always really help).
I do want to commend you on accepting the word of God. So many Christians that profess “love the Lord” will call it a sin, and come up with many different made up reasons why “God allowed it.” This is dangerous territory, imo. It’s one thing for unbelievers to hate God’s Holy Law - but it’s a whole different ballgame (imo) for a wretched sinner whose been washed clean by the blood of Christ; to turn around and point the finger back at God and say; your Holy Law (which will judge all of mankind), is wrong and outdated for today’s standards. Lord Jesus is the same yesterday. Today. Tomorrow - Hebrews 13:8.

Romans 2:12-16

12 When the Gentiles sin, they will be destroyed, even though they never had God’s written law. And the Jews, who do have God’s law, will be judged by that law when they fail to obey it. 13 For merely listening to the law doesn’t make us right with God. It is obeying the law that makes us right in his sight.
14 Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. 15 They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. 16 And this is the message I proclaim—that the day is coming when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge everyone’s secret life.

So if a man wishes to add wives - he’s not sinning as long as he follows the guidelines in scripture.

I believe there was a gentleman on this forum that told two different pastors that biblical polygamy wasn’t a sin. Both pastors refused to accept it. I believe I recall him saying both of them died early due to stroke.

Last edited:
I believe there was a gentleman on this forum that told two different pastors that biblical polygamy wasn’t a sin. Both pastors refused to accept it - but they make money on preaching the word of Christ. I believe I recall him saying both of them died early due to stroke.
Yup, except that they were pastoring small fellowships and not making an income from it.

Yup, except that they were pastoring small fellowships and not making an income from it.
I corrected my comment. Do you know how long after they refused to accept it - did they pass away from the stroke?

The fear of YAH is the beginning of wisdom. Proverbs 9:10.

I corrected my comment. Do you know how long after they refused to accept it - did they pass away from the stroke?

The fear of YAH is the beginning of wisdom. Proverbs 9:10.
It was about 7 years for each of them.

Yes, a person engaging in polygyny in most of the Westernized world, including the United States and Canada, is likely technically in violation of the law and would do well to keep it to himself.
I think you're being too paranoid. I can see no laws against this in any Commonwealth country, and have looked very carefully at the laws in New Zealand to validate that. Canada's law is from the same base, so unless anyone can share a specific law against polygamy in Canada then I'm pretty sure you're ok there, and in the UK.

Regarding the USA, there are issues in several states, and the resource you share is very good, I had not seen it before and it is an excellent starting point. But I still think this is unenforced.
One more note on this: be aware that, if your State recognizes common law marriages (for example, in my State, living and behaving as if married for 7 years), then the cohabitation loophole can be de facto closed if you inadvertently establish such a marriage in a way that witnesses might attest to.
Which states recognise common law marriage like this?

Serious question: Does anyone know anyone who has actually been prosecuted for polygamy (not a polygamist prosecuted for something else, someone specifically prosecuted for polygamy) anywhere in the USA or elsewhere in the West?

I'm sure this is mostly hypothetical, it doesn't actually happen. But please prove me wrong if I am wrong. I think Christians tend to be timid do-gooders, and worry about this sort of thing too much, while the secular world around us just sleeps with whoever they like and find that nobody actually cares.

Having said that, there is a real risk when it comes to custody of children. If you're in a custody dispute with a former spouse, or your first wife decides to run off with the kids when you take a second, the fact that you are polygamous will be a black mark against you and may make it much harder to get custody of the children. In this case it's not about laws, it's about perception - and polygamy is associated enough in the minds of the public with kiddy fiddling by cult leaders that it just sounds bad and makes it much more likely that you'd lose such a court case. But again, that's not being prosecuted for being polygamous, that's one of the complications that comes from having a complex family.

Regarding the USA, there are issues in several states, and the resource you share is very good, I had not seen it before and it is an excellent starting point. But I still think this is unenforced.
My understanding is that the Supreme Court has already ruled that two or more consenting adults can live together. In our case there are no legal marriages. No one here is worried about prosecution.

Some "Christians" have told us we aren't really married. That was two years in and 24 years ago. Most people will never ask to see your license, or question the validity of your relationship....if you say you have a husband or wife.

My sw just told some people who come in on Saturdays. They asked if she was a ______(last name) and she said yes. Then they asked if she married in...and to whom. She said she was married to ______(husband's name) along with me.

We will see if that sinks in. I told some folks before and watched it go right over their heads. One lady later asked a neighbor who told her the truth. She was incredulous, her hubby joked about when he could get another, ....and they still talk to us, come to visit, and hire our boys.

Family are THE WORST!

Who is admiring man whores? Maybe the world, but certainly not Bible believing Christians.

I've never heard of this lifestyle approved of and condoned in legitimate Christian communities.

As for women, men don't want women for wives that have had a lot of sexual partners. I don't think that will change. We get it that she has had sex with a previous husband, and maybe made a mistake or two, but good men don't want a woman that has just slept around for no good reason. This is a big deal.

It’s marital capitalism.
The women that bring the most to the table should be able to pick from the best that is available. And vice versa.
There should be no argument about qualifications.
What should be and what is are two different things.

You're correct; it's marital capitalism, but, as men, we can't escape that we're currently living in a world in which 80+% of the women have been hypnotized into believing they 'deserve' men in the top 10-20%. The only way that could actually work would be widespread acceptance of polygamy (not possible at present) combined with widespread acceptance of the bottom 80% of men anesthetizing themselves with drugs that would make them not care that they're going to be basically partnerless.

What's called for is education for women that focuses on learning things about intersexual dynamics that they just don't want to hear. But we're all just wasting our time whistling Dixie arguing about what men and women are currently doing wrong. We can all be potentially right about our arguments, but in the absence of women being enlightened about what their reasonable mate expectations should be -- requiring that most rewards would be removed for female delusion -- it won't matter if we're right or wrong on either side. 80% of young women will simply continue ratcheting up their body counts with 20% of the young-to-early-middle-aged guys who are only rarely going to marry them, while those young women will simultaneously remain categorically unwilling to formally share those top-20% guys as they continue to informally offer themselves up to those same men for casual sex. This is the the ongoing condition of our times and, absent radical changes of approaches on the part of men, this will only continue to gravitate toward what looks inevitable at this point in time: 90% of young women considering only 10% of young-to-early-middle-age (20-35 y.o.) men as attractive enough to qualify as potential sexual and marital mates.

The choice for men is to either (a) become full patriarchs and refrain from further rewarding women for exhibiting Female Independence Delusion (which is a strategy that has the potential for forcing women to collectively reassess their presuppositions); or (b) accept the fact that, for most 20-35-year-old men (not to mention those of us who are older), for quite some time the only willing-and-able female mates are predominantly going to come from the bottom 20% of women. Most of us married our current wives during a previous era not characterized by the current dynamics, but young men are choosing from among women who have been entirely indoctrinated by our secular culture and were raised by mothers and fathers who were themselves also entirely indoctrinated by government schools and our secular culture.

If, as men, we're unwilling to expect appreciation and respectful cooperation from our women, we're in no position to expect anything but the dregs -- perhaps dregs with prairie dresses and head coverings who refrain from adultery but dregs nonetheless. The exceptions to this that will only prove the rule will probably continue to inspire wishful thinking among the remaining men, but, rather than the dynamic of whether or not we're worthy, male failure to promote and expect respectful cooperation (submission) with patriarchy will provide the nails that men continue to pound into their own coffins.

Risking boring those reading this, I'm convinced that anything that even remotely smacks of seeking female approval has nearly nothing to do with whether men seeking any form of marriage will successfully find women who are willing and prepared to be married to them. [I submit that it's almost axiomatic that the best list we might be able to make for what not to do as men could be compiled by just asking the women in our lives what they think we should do with our time, energy and resources.] We can find sex partners, but even most among us who are ostensibly married but tolerate disobedience, demands for a full voice without full acceptance of responsibility, disrespect, or insufficient appreciation for the full range of provision, protection and due benevolence men collectively provide women are not even close to being in the type of relationship prescribed by Scripture -- or in alignment with common sense. Instead, we're in voluntary enslavement to our women.

And when we choose that path rather than standing tall and expecting respectful cooperation we're also embarrassing ourselves no matter how much we convince ourselves that we're possessed of full manhood or wearing the pants in our family. Those who know me know I've had to confront this very thing in myself, so I'm not just callously casting aspersions. IYKYK, and OYKYCUI.

Back