• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

State marriage license

WifeOfHisYouth

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Female
If a legal marriage (state marriage certificate) is not considered biblical and men can marry (in the eyes of God) as many women he chooses, once biblical marriage is understood by the man, why would he choose not to dispose of the marriage certificate with the first wife, but remain married in Gods eyes? Would that not free him up from some of the legal ramifications of having more than one “wife” in the eyes of the government? (I’m certain states)

What is the point in holding on to the government piece of paper and government tax “benefits”?

Kristin and I have given very serious consideration to doing just that once we find another wife: getting a formal divorce and avoiding ever begging the State's permission to license any of our relationships, for two reasons at least:

1. It's none of the State's business what kinds of relationships we form; and
2. It avoids having two different wives be on two different legal footings.

Also, while sometimes being able to file a joint tax return is beneficial, sometimes it's penalized. It all depends on which lobbies are ascendant at any given moment. In recent decades, being married was actually penalized by the tax laws, just as caring for your own child at home is penalized versus putting your child in paid day care.

I guess from my perspective there isn't much benefit to doing so and it incurs a lot of financial costs and legal uncertainties.

In some states they require you actually separate for the divorce to go through. I have an inkling that I've heard of someone being prosecuted for fraud in this matter. It's also often an expensive process and could trigger many consequences such as mandatory child support payments to the state. And some places would just turn around and declare you married by cohabitation anyway despite the divorce.

Would that not free him up from some of the legal ramifications of having more than one “wife” in the eyes of the government? (I’m certain states)

Most states only prosecute if there are multiple licenses (e.g. bigamy). Now some states have laws against cohabitation with another woman while married (adultery), but those aren't enforced either.

It's not as easy as you think. Samuel and I discussed doing this, but the government in NZ makes it complicated. The only way to remove yourself from the paperwork is to get a divorce. Annulment is possible in very specific select circumstances that don't apply. To prove a divorce, you need to be separated physically, living apart, for a minimum of 2 years. It's not doable.

I have considered just posting the marriage licence back to them with some form of legal declaration that the contract is declared null and void by the signatories due to various ways that it breaches contract law (in a contract, all clauses and all parties to the contract must be clearly stated, the marriage licence hides the fact the government is a party, the government adds many clauses that are in law not in the contract documents, and has changed the clauses subsequent to the contract being signed). It would be an interesting fight if we had money and nothing better to do with our time. But I struggle to think of something more pointless that we could put our effort into... So I haven't bothered opening that can of worms.

I have given this some thought in the past and even counseled a man in our local fellowship about the subject.

I see it as a piece of paper that allows certain legal status that is beneficial to myself as well as @Mrs. Pacman it means nothing to me spirituality it just makes it easier to operate in our current civil society. The drawbacks to getting rid of it out way the benefits imo.

My wife legally divorced me, due to her lack of believing the way I do. In my heart, we are still married. I feel that G-d showed me to give back to Caesar what is Caesar's. He further showed me that she and I were married in His eyes before we were legally (state) married. As stated previously, it is just a piece of paper. Marriage is made within the heart, not by the government or a piece of paper. I believe that she is still my Ishshah, and through prayer one day her eyes will be opened and she will return to me.

Oregon is a no fault divorce state, so in that sense, they make it easier to get rid of the price of paper.

My parents knew enough that I didn't want a state marriage. Hubby didn't want one either so we did not get one. It is easier to avoid then get rid of.

@FollowingHim I can totally relate to the fraud and a part of you feeling like doing something about it.....and the wisdom in choosing other ways to spend your time.

Hubby brought a civil suit against a couple deputies in our County and it was a eye opening experience, and a unique kind of misery to go through. We believe it is far better to trust YHWH for justice and hope to never mess in the legal system again. It really is a "just us" system. Of lawyers, by lawyers, for lawyers. They always win because someone pays their fees, the people all lose even if they win because the injustice and fraud is mind boggling.

I better stop for now. Another woman can be whatever she chooses to be to a man and his first woman/wife. The paperwork matters little.....which is why we've never missed it.

Is it expensive?
Haha piece of paper.. but that piece of paper has a pretty hefty cost due to the emotional ups and downs it causes the wife that holds it when a man decides to find second wife. Just sayin.

I have considered just posting the marriage licence back to them with some form of legal declaration that the contract is declared null and void by the signatories due to various ways that it breaches contract law (in a contract, all clauses and all parties to the contract must be clearly stated, the marriage licence hides the fact the government is a party, the government adds many clauses that are in law not in the contract documents, and has changed the clauses subsequent to the contract being signed). It would be an interesting fight if we had money and nothing better to do with our time. But I struggle to think of something more pointless that we could put our effort into... So I haven't bothered opening that can of worms.

I'd love to see that adjudicated in the appellate courts. Marriage licensees violate common law and as a contract violate every bit of good jurisprudence in commercial contract law. But it wouldn't happen unless a wife divorced you and you fought the divorce decision in the courts (i.e. the allimony/child support/property split decisions). Nor would I hold much hope for a just resolution. But the legal briefs would make for interesting reading.

Back