• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

strength

A

Anonymous

Few months ago before we relocated to SoCal, a long time friend of ours (my wife's and I) had a good bye chat w/me where she expressed interest in 'living together with me and my wife', when we started sharing about how our lives are going (I sort of prompted the conversation in this direction, and surprisingly, she took it well). I've always known this woman has liked me as a man, and perceived me as honest, ethical and committed to my wife, despite the fact that she knows some of my personal sins that I committed in my marriage, and has remained a friend of ours for 6+ years

She's also been less fortunate, in that she was divorced once after 7 years of marriage, and now married to a guy 7 years younger than her (she's 35, my age...) who has had a sketchy relationship with her. This time around, she has 2 children, a 2 year old and a newborn. She nearly divorced him after the first child because he abused her - both physically and emotionally - and wasn't really around much due to his job (diver).

I let her know that if she and her current husband ever divorced or if she left him because of abuse or abandonment (e.g. he becomes a deadbeat dad), that I'd talk to my wife about creating a relationship in which she and her children would be part of our family (me, my wife and our 3 year old daughter). She expressed concern that my wife might not go along with it, and I said, that's ok - if she doesn't go along, then it wasn't meant to happen, but that I would at least bring up the issue when she feels like she can no longer tolerate her current husband, if that ever happened.

I've not told my wife that I've talked to our friend about this. I'm not sure if I ought to hold out talking to her until the time is right - which may be never, worst case. On the other hand, I feel somewhat burdened that I had this chat with our friend and not told my wife about it...

I mean well, and I am prepared to take her as a second wife, however that looks like, and help with the rearing of her children - for life.

I request prayers that I will have the strength, without shame or guilt, to bring this up to my wife as well as the strength to take a 'no', without disappointment if the outcome isn't what me and our friend is hoping for.

you have requested prayer, and my prayer you shall have

advice you did not ask for, so i will cheerfully stifle myself :D

"I feel somewhat burdened" sounds to me like the Holy Spirit is poking you in the ribs...you will feel this burden as long as you don't talk to her...and on a bad night you might just tell her all about it in your sleep... : )

I would suggest talking with her about it, perhaps she needs time to consider it, and the clock is ticking. Should the situation become a reality your wife will have had time to think about it, and maybe it will even be a conversation point from time to time as she tries to think about what would happen in that scenario. If you haven't already, I would read John Whitten's "First Wife Syndrome" to prepare yourself for the likely scenarios you might face when you tell her.

http://newlookatmarriage.blogspot.com/2 ... drome.html

Scarecrow, I think you are right on the money. I will bring this up one way or another. There's just no other way to find out the truth and have the burden relieved unless I speak to my wife. I'm afraid she'll say 'no way!'. I'm certain she won't leave me as she's forgiven me a much greater transgression from long ago which I confessed to her and asked her to either forgive or leave me - she showed grace and forgave. I've a great relationship with my wife and I don't want to screw this up by bringing this up. We've been married for 11 years now and have had our ups and downs, but we stay committed to each other for life. We used to hang out very frequently with our friend, and my wife likes her a lot too...

God help me when I open my mouth about this.

Back