• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Submit

sharonr said:
A second passage to consider: Acts 4 verse 19

This passage concerns the instructions given by the Sanhedrin to Peter and John, and the reply, repeated below, that was given by the disciples:

Acts 5:29 But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: “We ought to obey God rather than men. (NKJV)

Let us first state an obvious but important point: This is not a conflict between a husband and a wife but between two groups of male Jews. The relationship between the parties is therefore very different to that between a husband and a wife [footnote 1]. We also need to ask whether the Sanhedrin had any authority over Peter and John. Both parties were claiming to represent God — but which of them had the better claim? The two disciples had received their commission personally and physically from the mouth of Jesus himself. Jesus came to set aside the old religious order and to establish a new one in which the role of the Sanhedrin (assuming it had ever had any role in God's sight) was to be diminished. This by itself gives strong reason for believing that the Sanhedrin did not have any authority over Peter and John however the words that the disciples used are perhaps more significant; they did not simply refuse to obey the Sanhedrin (though they implied that they were going to) rather they threw the whole command back at the Sanhedrin by telling the Sanhedrin members “judge for yourselves” and thereby questioned the Sanhedrin's authority to issue the order at all. Implicit in the disciples' response is the notion that the Sanhedrin knew, or at least ought to have known, that it was acting beyond its powers. In a modern setting the disciples might have said “If you stop and think for one moment you will realize that your own laws and rules prohibit you from giving this order.”

Also it is worth remembering that when this conversation took place Jerusalem was within the Roman empire; the final authority was not the Sanhedrin but the Roman governor and the Romans did allow a certain amount of religious freedom.

For the reasons given above this passage does not give any support to the notion that wives should only selectively obey their husbands.

This was on the ladies only submit post, that I posted in reference to an article I came across about Acts, and also obey God rather than man.

Actually, this is only ONE of many Scriptures that provide the necessary evidence for a proper understanding of Biblical Submission. It starts with the greatest commandment: To love and obey God above all - including husbands! The Unfolding Revelation of Biblical Submission doesn't rely on one out of context passage. It embraces the whole counsel of God on the subject. Submission is a Biblical truth. Total submission is never advocated in Scripture, except to God. It is never wise to take one passage and make it the entire doctrine of a subject. To understand Biblical submission, one must look at all the Scriptures on the topic and then come to a balanced conclusion.

sharonr said:
Many polygamy families don't have a church to go to, the pastors aren't in agreement with it. There are few Pastor's that are in agreement with it. So are they wrong as well, for not attending church. Oh yeah and what about the polygamy families who do go to church, alot of the time, the Pastor doesn't teach or agree with polygamy, so are they suppose to continue to obey AUTHORITIES OR THE PASTOR because you all say we are suppose to obey everything the Pastor preaches?

There are still ways to work it out if one really wants one. Furthermore, if you believe that you are to obey your husband based upon Scripture, how is it that you disagree with the Scripture that says to obey a church elder? Strange! Either God's Word is 100% true, or it isn't! What gives a person the right to pick and choose what passages they are to follow? From my view, one is not to obey a pastor or a husband if they are telling you to disobey what is clearly allowable in the Scriptures. I am merely saying that you do not have a balanced understanding of submission. I would never say that one should totally obey a pastor, nor would I say one is to totally obey a husband. I am saying that God's Word outweighs both of them.

-

-

Oh ok, that's who's husband I been going back and forth with.....thought it could have been, well, thats where yall stand as a family. Lissa is really nice, and has shown me alot through her post's and example. I thank God for coming across her, of course there is disagreement, that happens, I pray that God be with you.

sharonr said:
Oh ok, that's who's husband I been going back and forth with.....thought it could have been, well, thats where yall stand as a family. Lissa is really nice, and has shown me alot through her post's and example. I thank God for coming across her, of course there is disagreement, that happens, I pray that God be with you.

I pray that God will always bring you closer to His heart in every way... blessings!

Back