• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Swedish National Television Would Like To Interview a Polygamist Family

We have been contacted by a production company making a series for Swedish national television. Essentially, they would like to interview a polygamous family for an episode of a series they are producing that focuses on the nuclear family.

They have stated that the interviewers are "eager to learn from perspectives that are different from their own and they will approach each topic and the people they meet with curiosity and respect".

In e-mail exchange about their request, they go on to say:

"Most important for us is that they feel happy and safe to meet with Magnus and Agnes and share a little about how they see their life choice. Maybe not so much about why they have chosen it but rather what it’s like to live in a plural marriage. Advantages and possible disadvantages, children/siblings, jealousy?"

The impression I get is that it would be respectful and honest.

For those that do not mind sharing a real-world glimpse of their lives, this is an opportunity to show the wholesomeness of polygamy.

If that interests you, contact me.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention that they are aiming for doing the interview in the last half of August.

So far, the post has gotten likes and views but no one interested in interviewing. I realize that it involves being a little more public than many would like to be, but it's also an opportunity to help shape how the world views polygamy.

My $0.02, but I never believe them when they say they are "eager to learn" and will treat the subjects with "respect". Especially when they go on to say they want to hear, "Maybe not so much about why they have chosen it..." Probably others are just as skeptical?

My $0.02, but I never believe them when they say they are "eager to learn" and will treat the subjects with "respect". Especially when they go on to say they want to hear, "Maybe not so much about why they have chosen it..." Probably others are just as skeptical?
“If it bleeds, it leads.”

Are they looking for a family in Europe, or anywhere in the world?
Specifically the USA. To quote their e-mail:

"One episode/topic is about ”Nuclear family” and our ambition is to visit families, both in Sweden and abroad, and learn about their choices.

We will be shooting in USA sometime around the last two weeks of August and we would love for Magnus and Agnes to be able to meet with a polygamist family and learn more about their everyday life."

The series is hosted by an older well-known Swedish singer and his daughter and the series is about the difference in how the generations see the world.

My wife and I did an interview with a Dutch television host and they really were more curious than coming with an agenda. In that case, it was Dutch national TV, and this is Swedish national TV....which makes you wonder what's going on over there.

In any case, the setup and conversation with them is pretty similar.

For reference, the statements you quoted were only said -after- I asked for more information about what they were looking for and what "type" of polygamist family. It wasn't part of the initial contact, but rather something I wanted to be sure on before posting here.

I obviously can't vouch for them, but I do think it's an opportunity to show polygamy through a non-scandalous lens. If "normal" polygamists don't take them up on it, then that only leaves the view we would rather not have on TV (think TLC series here) and that doesn't accurately represent 90%+ of polygamists...then we blame TV.

I do expect this will be better than people would have come to expect from US television. The culture and agenda is very different. The US agenda is driven by Mormon polygamy, and is to exploit such people to find scandals to get viewers. In other words:
“If it bleeds, it leads.”
While the European agenda is driven by the gay culture and immigration bringing different ways of life, and they're more likely to get viewers simply through presenting something different to the curious. Obviously that has its own downsides - but it does mean you can expect a more honest and curious interview style, genuinely trying to find out about something interesting to show their viewers rather than trying to paint the interviewee as evil.

I may be too cautious, but misunderstandings happen. It is impossible to guarantee that none will, and then assumptions become fact in viewers minds.

"eager to learn from perspectives that are different from their own and they will approach each topic and the people they meet with curiosity and respect".

Yep, that's how they dup all the victims of their next hit piece.

That said, given it's Europe it is marginally possible this isn't a hit piece. They may even be looking to puff up polygamy as part of their multicultural propoganda.

While the European agenda is driven by the gay culture and immigration bringing different ways of life, and they're more likely to get viewers simply through presenting something different to the curious.

If anyone here does this interview a suggestion, esp. if you're Scandinavian background: mention that Europeans were historically polygamous. This is a return to your historic culture and natural way of life for all humanity. Monogamy comes from Roman Catholicism, whereas based on scripture Martin Luther rightly found it not to be sinful (Sweden's state church is Lutheran).

There is danger in that they are looking for useful fools.

Secondly, 90% they won't present polygamy in positive light. Neutral is best possible.

Polygamy goes against doctrine of equality, so forget it. What will be presented in positive light is polyamory which is compatible with equality.

Last edited:
Back