• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Testosterone killing and Estrogen increasing chemicals

Another thing to consider about meat. Grocery store chicken . . .beware . . .do a little checking into it. Most are confinement raised and some of the stuff they put into it . . .not so good. Pork is not a lot better. Again confinement ag, lots of growth hormone and antibiotics typically. Consider raising your own chickens/pork. Easy enough to raise. Easy enough to butcher. Beef is a little harder, good advice is to check around with local producers. You can usually by a quarter, half or whole beef for a fraction for what you'll pay at the supermarket. If you find a reputable producer they will be able to tell you if they feed: "tankage" (beef scraps), growth hormone (which is in nearly everything), GMO grain (again nearly universal), or various feed supplements for flies/etc. that may be problematic. Best case scenario you can find a local farmer that raises pasture raised beef with minimal chemical additives. You tell them what you want. They deliver to the locker of your choice and you've got meat for a year.

Another thing to consider about meat. Grocery store chicken . . .beware . . .do a little checking into it. Most are confinement raised and some of the stuff they put into it . . .not so good. Pork is not a lot better. Again confinement ag, lots of growth hormone and antibiotics typically. Consider raising your own chickens/pork. Easy enough to raise. Easy enough to butcher. Beef is a little harder, good advice is to check around with local producers. You can usually by a quarter, half or whole beef for a fraction for what you'll pay at the supermarket. If you find a reputable producer they will be able to tell you if they feed: "tankage" (beef scraps), growth hormone (which is in nearly everything), GMO grain (again nearly universal), or various feed supplements for flies/etc. that may be problematic. Best case scenario you can find a local farmer that raises pasture raised beef with minimal chemical additives. You tell them what you want. They deliver to the locker of your choice and you've got meat for a year.
There is a lot of myth built up around the poultry industry. I live in a major chicken producing area and have had a fair amount of interaction with it.

I can state categorically that no hormones or antibiotics go into the birds while they’re in the growing houses. I don’t know what happens at the hatchery but while they’re growing out there are no inputs other than feed and water.

My current situation as a student in an apartment doesn't allow for buying large amounts of meat to freeze, but that is my plan in the future once we get settled down.

@The Revolting Man
Thanks for the balance on chickens. We don't have any producers in our area because of the nature of the farm economy now. Everything is locked into mega-producers . . . and the bottom line is the bottom line. I only know what I know about chickens second-hand and from YouTube. I've heard horror stories about what the big packing houses foist upon producers, but no first hand knowledge.
With beef cattle I know a good deal more. It is tough to raise calves without Bovatec, implants, and GMO grains. Not impossible, but it is simply not done in our area. High-Density feed lots buy calves at 500-800 lbs and then fatten them to slaughter weight and deliver them to the large packers. . . where they are fed whatever is cheapest and will get them to put on bulk the fastest. I assumed the same "profit motive" drove poultry production.
All the same, I will stand by my encouragement to raise and butcher your own or talk to a local producer. It is an entirely different process and good for developing a conscientiousness about the "cost of food" as it pertains to a living creature (especially for kids).
Also, another good source of meat is wild game. For some of you that may be harder/more expensive to come by. Make friends with a hick from the sticks and go hunt.

There is a lot of myth built up around the poultry industry. I live in a major chicken producing area and have had a fair amount of interaction with it.

I can state categorically that no hormones or antibiotics go into the birds while they’re in the growing houses. I don’t know what happens at the hatchery but while they’re growing out there are no inputs other than feed and water.

I agree. We get our chicks from Privett Hatchery and while they do some basic vaccines at their hatchery once we get them the chicks are kept separate from the flock for two months before they're introduced. And we don't do anything more than vitamins in the water.

Part of the reason for this is the larger birds can tend to kill baby chicks so letting them grow to pullets helps them succeed in the flock. The other reason is to make sure we don't have any weird diseases. Marek's is the big one but fowl pox has happened around here too and we're careful of that. Like as in I never adopt anyone else's chickens. It's too big a risk.

In New Zealand, almost all beef is grass-fed (or grazed forage crops over winter), there are very few feedlot operations and those are to supply specific markets (e.g. Wagyu for the Japanese market). Same goes for lamb/mutton.
Some vaccines are used, but hormones and antibiotics are not permitted as routine blanket treatments even in pigs & poultry - antibiotics are just permitted for treating disease in actually sick animals, and there are withholding periods after use that must be adhered to.

Someone told me that the US has the most lax food additive/ food labeling regulations in the "developed world." Anybody know if that's actually true?

Someone told me that the US has the most lax food additive/ food labeling regulations in the "developed world." Anybody know if that's actually true?
Can you find out how many substances are forbidden and when last substance was forbidden?

I would start at FDA website.

It's especially true when we're talking about the mRNA COVID shots.

Back