• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Christian Case for Marriage Multiplicity

JustAGuy

Male
Not sure I agree but interesting POV:

"Let’s abandon the notion of a single, normative marriage contract which is all that the state will enforce. Let private individuals (or their churches) produce contracts that lawyers can vet, which once signed will be enforced by the state. These contracts can be polygamous, homosexual, or celibate for all I care. Christian marriage can be one of those contracts. Churches that are serious about marriage can make signing a really solid (“covenant”) contract a condition of marrying in their place of worship. Every parish can have the boilerplate on its website: sign here or go find another Gothic building for your ceremony." John Zmirak for The American Conservative, July 5, 2013

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... -alliance/

I fully agree the state should be out of the marriage business. I do not agree that anyone should be able to discriminate against anyone when it comes to hiring decisions. The reality is that, whether we like it or not, people do get discriminated against (age, gender, weight, color, background) it just should not be legal to do so.

Any law decreed by a State is ultimately enforced at gunpoint.

Just because an organised crime gang has a flag and is the most powerful in the land, does not give it any moral virtue.

I do not wish to have my personal views of marriage or discrimination or any other topic enforced on others.

Hence I prefer the state entirely out of the marriage business and pretty much anything else.

ylop

IMHO, the government and the courts are in a Catch-22. Why? Because it seems they need to know: who's responsible for the kids in the case of sudden death, rights of survivorship, who to give married-person tax incentives, retirement benefits in the case of deceased primary wage earner, etc. Seems they may have a legitimate (?) need to understand "who's married to who" and for there to be some standardized procedures for making it "official."

How do you recommend our governments & courts do this without being heavy handed?

Kids: Birth certificates list both parents

tax incentives: The state needs to get out of marriage all together. My preference is that we do away with the entire tax code and use purely sales tax (that way the people who have the most money to spend will pay the most in taxes)

retirement benefits/life insurance policies: Don't you have to list who your beneficiary is?

Property ownership: needs to be registered as owners of the property with ownership transferring to the living members upon death of other owners.

Beyond that if consenting adults want to leave things a certain way there are trusts, business arrangements, wills, living wills. If they do not set their affairs up tidily and the courts need to determine who gets what then why should a marriage certificate determine that?

yep
but getting the State to give up any of its power?

do not worry, we will handle it in the millennium.

Mr. Zmirak does bring up some good points, but from a secular american POV.

I agree with him on the sad fact that marriage has lost all meaning in today's society, particularly among the "Christian" population. Marriages are not enforced by the state and divorces occur right and left. Thus families are torn apart and the wounds never heal. I don't believe that fighting for the enforcement of marriage will hold any water in the courtroom though. It smells too much like slavery, forcing a people to remain married against their wishes. The only reason I can think of as to why this would be is because divorce benefits the state in some way. And being that the state does not conduct itself according to the will of the Almighty, it will likely stay that way. The people behind the state will do what benefits themselves, not the people. This needs to change, but it would require the government to completely restructure itself and I can't see that happening anytime soon.

I do however, take issue with his idea of opening up marriage to any two parties who wish to get married. Marriage is far to sacred an institution for that. I would not support such a motion. God has clearly shown to me that marriage between man and woman is the die hard rule, nor is it to be entered into casually under any circumstances. The parties should prove their commitment to each other in some physical manner rather than getting married on the impulse of early years infatuation. If American individualism and liberty needs to be stuffed in the corner in order to make room for God's law, then so be it. I realize man is a rather dominionist point of view, but it's what I believe, at least for my little corner of the country. As I mentioned above however, the chances of this happening are almost null, perhaps completely null on these particular points.

we shouldn't be losing the country that our founding fathers set up, either. but we are.

As much as tax code and the opinions of the state are interesting... Any thoughts on the title subject of this thread, namely: "The Christian Case for Marriage Multiplicity"?

I would like to add a little twist to what's been said in this thread. It is true that Christians Have for the most part abandoned marriage, as the Creator set it up to be, that's the reason We have all the problems with everything in this socioty today. People have abandoned the Laws of the Creator, and the STATE has become their God, by contracts and licenses. Think of the Marriage Licenses, that's the fatel contract Christians worry about. A marriage License is a three way contract, You, Your Partner, and the STATE.
When the Divorce occurres, somebody breached the contract, the STATE is usually the entity that grants a divorce, that's a no no, but only a very few people understand contracts well enough to keep from being railroaded. Most people can't read and understand the proper material. The Public Schools are for Your indoctrination, not Education, as presented. Think about it, if You all knew the answers, the powers that be, wouldn't have any power over You. The Creator made You a way to follow him, instead of the STATE God. Proper knowledge, and it don't come from Public Schools and so called Churches. " The Truth Will Make You Free."

Me

jacobhaivri said:
As much as tax code and the opinions of the state are interesting... Any thoughts on the title subject of this thread, namely: "The Christian Case for Marriage Multiplicity"?
the OP was about contracts, which would allow for multiple wives.
you thoughts are......?

Back