• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The lost years of Jesus

Mojo

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Any research you have found that sounds reasonable?

I've heard Egypt, Sinai and India.

Opinions?

He means the years between his temple visit at 12 and the start of his public ministry at 30, not discussed in the gospels.
Yes. I had a Dr. visit yesterday. The man is a Jewish Persian, which led to all kinds of discussion. He brought it up. I didn't have too much to offer other than...."yep, I've heard theories..."

Why does it even matter? Beyond pure intellectual curiosity that is.

I've heard Britain with His uncle, Joseph of Arimathea. Historically its very plausible.

There's some controversy about those texts. There's a chance that they weren't written by Joseph of Arimathea himself, but perhaps a third party was taking dictation.

EDIT: I just googled it, I guess this is a real theory. I thought you were making a Monty Python joke. My bad.

Any research you have found that sounds reasonable?

I heard a thought by Chuck Missler, (I believe) that parts of Psalm 69 speak of what Jesus' early life was like.

Last edited:
From what I recall the idea is that Joseph the stepfather had died and Jesus traveled with Joseph His uncle on a trading trip. Supposedly there really were Jews traveling there at the time to buy tin.

Why does it even matter? Beyond pure intellectual curiosity that is.
I saw it as a way to bring Messiah to him more personally. I'm trying to work in an evangelism route. Giving him a little curiosity piece to talk about might give me an opportunity to let me reciprocate by adding in the "Jewishness" of Christ and his fulfillment of Messiahship.

@IshChayil any tips in evangelizing?
Any input? Is this some sort of common out Jews use to discredit Messiah?

I saw it as a way to bring Messiah to him more personally. I'm trying to work in an evangelism route. Giving him a little curiosity piece to talk about might give me an opportunity to let me reciprocate by adding in the "Jewishness" of Christ and his fulfillment of Messiahship.
Travelling at the moment so this is hit and run. Great resource is Dr. Michael Brown.
Check out youtube on his name + "answering Jewish objections". There is also a wonderful radio debate on youtube between Dr. Brown and Rabbi Tovia Singer (an anti-misisonary).
I enjoy this debate because I've watched Tovia crush every single pastor he ever debated with, then he basically gets his *ss handed to him by Dr. Brown.
It's a good listen if you have a commute or something.
Private message me for more detailed answers. It often just depends on the person.
If he's secular then your task is much easier; if he's "religious" then there are many systems of thought control already in place to overcome...

Familiar with Brown
Read volume 1 and 2 of the "Answering" books
Seen several debates with Dr. Brown
Been a while since I studied it out, but could still get along somewhat okay.

My main question was if the "what happened to Jesus?" question was a common anti-missionary misdirection. If it is, what would be a good answer?

I’ve also heard about the time in Britain from multiple sources and would have to say that it appears to be very plausible. I’m not sure what the evangelical application would be but would be interested in hearing what you find.

One of the sources was a man named Joseph Dumond or Desmond who is a British Israelite proponent. I found the BI aspects of his theory to be conclusively lacking but his geneology and migration information was quite enlightening. In fact, it turned several mind numbing portions of Josephus’ Antiquities into very germane, light bulb moment passages.

I’ve also heard about the time in Britain from multiple sources and would have to say that it appears to be very plausible. I’m not sure what the evangelical application would be but would be interested in hearing what you find.

One of the sources was a man named Joseph Dumond or Desmond who is a British Israelite proponent. I found the BI aspects of his theory to be conclusively lacking but his geneology and migration information was quite enlightening. In fact, it turned several mind numbing portions of Josephus’ Antiquities into very germane, light bulb moment passages.
Haha I think I met that guy. Is he big into "blood moons"?

Back