• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Manual

andrew

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Okay, guys, let's do this.

From time to time, the subject of a "how to" manual comes up. Just about every retreat it gets mentioned at some point. And from time to time here on the discussion board. So let's play a little reindeer game....

When you think about how nice it would be if someone had written a manual, what specific question(s) do you have in mind that you would want that manual to answer? What problem, for you, is having a manual in hand (see what I did there?) the solution to?

Ready . . . go!

Regarding poly, or just any problem?

I had "Poly for now. Stay focused." typed and ready to hit Post Reply, then hesitated.

Let's say "biblical family" for now. Stay focused. Poly dynamics will enter into it, but we should have useful teaching for the mono family as well (whether that's permanently mono or 'mono for now').

Aaaand now I'm circling back. Keep that middle paragraph in mind, but I think the real tip of the spear is how to manage the transition into a successful plural family. If we had a manual for that, we could then expand into other areas, but I think that's the "highest and best use" of our time.

Thinking out loud here, obviously, and open for input. It just seems to me that this question that I'm trying to address ("Where's the manual for this?") comes up in the context of how to do plural marriage or how to have the kind of marriage that could scale up if the right prospective second partner wandered onto the radar, so that's my focus.

"How do I know if Poly is for me?"

"How do I make my wife okay with this?"

and its sister-question

"My wife says she's ok with this but every day has been hell on earth and I'm considering setting my house on fire and taking a greyhound to a far away place. How do I make my wife actually ok with this?"

Great questions, the real deal. More probably tonight. Anyone else?

I have a question, although I'm not sure that it's important.

How do you handle benign disagreements between wives? Nothing big but things like "where do we put away the cheese grater?" and "which style of couch do we buy?" and "how often do we go on dates, and who is responsible for scheduling them?"

Tastes and preferences are a small thing, but they sure can lead to big misunderstandings and hurt feelings.

Along the lines of @Slumberfreeze:

For men: "My wife was okay, and even attended the ceremony. Now that we're all a family....the fit hit the shan."

For women: "My husband said he loves me, but now he seems to only want to be with HER!"

*Note: I am not a practitioner, so these aren't a reality in my life...but I could see where these might pop up.

Acceptable scenarios and boundaries to pursue a new relationship?

Personality profiles?

A series of questions to use for weeding out candidates/families.

Different types of family templates. Not everyone is looking for the same type of family. Having multiple generic templates that would provide some kind of big picture and help manage and clarify expectations for all parties.

External support: why its important, defining the roles, choosing the supporters.

Internal structure of the home; defining roles and boundaries

A financial worksheet

Child raising

Legal do's and don'ts

A list of additional references and helpful links

What do I need to have in place before the right prospective walks across my radar?

What type of personality is most likely to succeed in this lifestyle?

Pro's and Con's to the age gap? Rule of thumb for prospectives?

Warning signs, caution signs

Meeting the extended family

Assimilating existing children

How to have church when no church will have you.

Bridging Cultural gaps/divides

Finding your new spouse over seas: Pro's, Con's, Do's Don'ts

All good so far.

VV76, I like your thoroughness, but I'm going to cherrypick your lists. A lot of those questions have the same answer: "With a strong relationship with God and an average or better dose of common sense, you'll figure it out." Which is a good thing, because a lot of those questions are still in the "we just don't have enough data" phase....

I want to come back to that "maybe something is wrong with our culture" thing. A lot of the "manual" talk proceeds from a place of assumed standards and norms. Using my own language, the idea would be that once we have enough data to make statistically supportable observations, we'll have "norms" we can aim for.

The problem is that the "norms" are already pretty much known (putting the "biblical" in biblical families), and the other part that really matters is the customization.

So for instance, take the issue of car repair manuals. All cars have similar basic systems, and we can predict what kinds of chapters such a manual might have. But the details are going to go down to the make and model and year that vehicle was built.

Or take building blueprints. All homes have to have a certain number of specific functions provided for (eating, sleeping, hygiene, gathering, entertaining, whatever), and there are some conventions that we can expect for conventional housing. But the exact implementation is different every time (unless you're building tract homes).

So sticking with the blueprint metaphor: I can tell you the basics of what a solid biblical marriage needs to survive and thrive, but you (particularly, and most folks here) already know that part. The part that matters is the customization, the way each family has to be fitted together out of the component characters and personalities that are involved. Your intimate knowledge of your wife and her needs (and later, your wives and their needs), coupled with your following God's leading and what you already know about marriage, will see you through.

Back to my "find a mentor, not a manual" comment, it's the difference between (a) reading one of those $18.95 books at Lowe's on how to build a deck or how to wire a house and thinking you know what you're doing, and (b) having a friend who knows what they're doing willing to help you get it done. What we're doing here is practical, not knowledge work, so apprenticeship is a better path into it than book work, because you can deal with real issues in real time instead of first trying to store up a bunch of knowledge so you'll have it when you need it, then work it out as you go.

In the old days our fathers, uncles, and grandfathers would have handled this function....

So that's it for me and pushback on the basic idea. I'm going to take all suggestions (keep 'em comin') and see what I can come up with....

How do you keep one wifes moments of stuborness from infecting other wives?

I'm impressed! Keep 'em comin'!

a Monogamous marriage gives demons many opportunities to cause havoc, A PM gives him many more. how about advice on keeping the devil out of your marriage or your PM. Each one has to keep the devil out of their own mind at all times! Don't play his game.

Back to my "find a mentor, not a manual" comment, it's the difference between (a) reading one of those $18.95 books at Lowe's on how to build a deck or how to wire a house and thinking you know what you're doing, and (b) having a friend who knows what they're doing willing to help you get it done. What we're doing here is practical, not knowledge work, so apprenticeship is a better path into it than book work, because you can deal with real issues in real time instead of first trying to store up a bunch of knowledge so you'll have it when you need it, then work it out as you go.

In the old days our fathers, uncles, and grandfathers would have handled this function....

Your analogy is excellent Andrew and, from all I experienced, the one not to lose sight of. This site and the resources available provide much of the essential information for those needing or seeking "knowledge" but it's being able to have the "friend who knows what they're doing willing to help you" come alongside and walk through the battles (aka. full-on wars) with you that makes such a major difference. And every deck or house wiring job will be different in some way (and you Americans build bigger decks and houses!) so a manual will have to be more general but can we have practical application of biblical passages to issues/questions addressed: a biblical manual for biblical families? Blessings to you all.

VV76 mentioned legal aspects, and I want to expand on that a bit: practical issues stemming from not having a marriage license: things like taxes, insurance, wills, medical visitation rights, etc... (To be fair, I'm also wondering about this from a monogamous perspective, for those who want to avoid a state marriage license altogether)

Back