• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Onion? Nope, DailyMail UK

Asforme&myhouse

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...tomatic-rifles-fire-power-TANK-soon-2022.html

Here are a few epic quotes:

“The 6.8mm rifles not only pack greater force, but also feature improved precision from greater distances and are also able to handle all-weather and terrain encountered by soldiers.”

“'This is a weapon that can go out at ranges that are unknown today and that you can see accurately.”

“It weighs less, is more powerful than prior assault rifles and can shoot further - extending soldiers' range from 300 meters to 600 meters.”

What did I just read?

It’s almost as if Annie Palmer has never seen a firearm in real life... ya think?

”The Army put out a notice in October for prototypes of a 6.8mm light machine gun and has since announced that the prototypes for the new weapon are expected to be ready for test fires by next summer.”

Sheesh, hyping a dream.

Yep. Comparing the effectiveness of the 6.8 to a tank based upon similar chamber pressures is pretty funny.

I cant wait for them to implement though, should make the ammo much more readily available. Its a great deer cartridge for kids and women. Virtually no recoil in an AR15 platform. Very accurate, same perceived volume as a 5.56 (meaning it takes up the same space and only slightly heavier), basically a reduced recoil/fps .270.

Only downside is its bolt face and magazines aren’t interchangeable with the .223/5.56

I’m also gonna say that I seriously doubt its effective performance against body armor at 600 meters. Even with an AP projectile.

Yep. Comparing the effectiveness of the 6.8 to a tank based upon similar chamber pressures is pretty funny.

I cant wait for them to implement though, should make the ammo much more readily available. Its a great deer cartridge for kids and women. Virtually no recoil in an AR15 platform. Very accurate, same perceived volume as a 5.56 (meaning it takes up the same space and only slightly heavier), basically a reduced recoil/fps .270.

Only downside is its bolt face and magazines aren’t interchangeable with the .223/5.56

I’m also gonna say that I seriously doubt its effective performance against body armor at 600 meters. Even with an AP projectile.

Yeah but just imagine a rifle and round that can handle all types of weather and terrain!... we’ve never seen anything like that before... :confused:
lol

Yeah but just imagine a rifle and round that can handle all types of weather and terrain!... we’ve never seen anything like that before... :confused:
lol
Yeah, what is that?
4wheel drive bullets with all-weather tires?

The Chinese "Star Wars" weapon that can burn your skin, is a bit disconcerting.

I guess there will be no need for tanks anymore.

Also, "Army soldiers currently use dated M16/M4 weapons that were first doled out more than 50 years ago.". So are we going to replace those first. No. "Once ready to go, they'll also replace the approximately 80,000 M249 squad automatic weapons currently in use.".

Where is @ZecAustin when we need him?

I’m sure when/if they change over, they will have to change both. The bad part of this is that when they do, the 5.56 would not be as available over time. The good part about this is that there would be a massive supply of parts and accessories hitting the military surplus shelves/auctions.

That being said, I don’t think they’re actually gonna change to that caliber. I could be wrong, but from what I’ve seen, the momentum has stalled in that effort.

I think they've been squawking about the rifle of tomorrow now for 30 years. I tend to suspect that there is more money in continual repeated development projects than in ever actually deciding on something and running with it.

Part of the problem is that if the US changes, then the rest of the NATO forces would have to pony up and follow suit to have commonality of calibers/magazines etc.

It wouldnt be so bad if they utilized a cartridge like 300 blackout or the new 350 Legend. Then all they have to do is change the barrels and stockpile the new caliber. With a 6.8 they have to change the barrel, bolt face, magazines and stockpile the new caliber etc.

I guess there will be no need for tanks anymore.

Also, "Army soldiers currently use dated M16/M4 weapons that were first doled out more than 50 years ago.". So are we going to replace those first. No. "Once ready to go, they'll also replace the approximately 80,000 M249 squad automatic weapons currently in use.".

Where is @ZecAustin when we need him?
The smart money says that the 5.56 will not be replaced by the 6.8spc. It doesn't bring enough advantages to justify the cost or the decreased number of rounds that can be in a magazine or carried by a war fighter. It will most likely be lasers that replace the current rifle and round or more likely robots/drones. Rifle and bulllet technology has simply plateaued.

The smart money says that the 5.56 will not be replaced by the 6.8spc. It doesn't bring enough advantages to justify the cost or the decreased number of rounds that can be in a magazine or carried by a war fighter. It will most likely be lasers that replace the current rifle and round or more likely robots/drones. Rifle and bulllet technology has simply plateaued.
:) :)

Back