• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Other Way - Chapter Four

Doc

Real Person
CHAPTER FOUR

Some would say that 7 AM is too early for golf. For those that love the game, it’s a late start. Both Missouri Attorney General Jack Terhune, and Bishop Frank Willis of the ABF loved the game. It would not be the only thing they found they had in common.
Tan-tar-a Resort in Osage Beach provided a picturesque fall backdrop for their conversation/game. Even though both were there for the Coalition for Family Values Conference, and both were speakers for the event, last night was the first time they met. After a stunning patriotic salute to Missouri National Guard members returning home from Afghanistan, Terhune gave a stirring message to conference attendees and potential contributors about the importance that his office, and he personally, gave to securing the confines of traditional marriage and pro-life issues.
The lone Republican in an overwhelmingly Democratic administration, Terhune was an aggressive prosecutor, and the darling of the state’s conservative movement. He had been elected on a platform of being tough on crime, and his efforts at cracking down on the state’s meth labs and hidden pot operations made him one of the state’s most popular politicians. To his credit, he worked to enforce the state’s abortion laws as well, which engendered his profile among the pro-life community.
He had grown up in the ABF, his grandfather being a minister in the denomination. The Association of Bible Fellowships had been a part of his family all his life, and was to this day. In his high school and college years, he had been part of a music group that traveled to many ABF churches in the Midwest, mainly in Missouri. Even today, when he would visit various churches across the state in a ‘non-political’ capacity, he commonly would sing a special, which pastors and churches loved. It gave him the credibility within the state as a ‘good Christian man’.
Terhune, knowing that Bishop Willis enjoyed golf, had invited the minister to join him the next morning following the Friday night keynote event.
"Would you consider yourself ambitious?" Terhune asked as he teed up at the first hole.
"I don't know if that’s the right word or not," Willis replied, "I would prefer the term 'motivated'."
Terhune powered the ball down the course, hooking just a bit, and landing on the edge of the fairway just before the dogleg. "Motivated!" He said, admiring his shot, "I like that word...I think I’ll start using it...Motivated!!"
As Willis stepped up to make his shot, he asked the Attorney General, "How about yourself?" and made his cut into the ball.
They watched the ball together, as it landed just a yard further than Terhune's. The politician grimaced, "Very ambitious. I don't like to lose."
Willis smiled secretly.
Walking the fairway together, Terhune broke the silence about halfway, "I'm glad we finally had the chance to meet yesterday. This was a pretty good conference this week. Have you been to Tan-tar-a before?"
The minister replied, "A couple of times. Our district has had several conferences here. The family really enjoys coming. But this is the first time I have been here for one of these Coalition conferences."
"I've been here a few times," Terhune said lining up with the ball. He was eying the tree line approaching the green, and in his mind he was calculating the risk of elevating the ball to get near the hole, or to play it safe and make par. "This is my third time being here for the Family Values conference," as he pushed the ball over the trees and hit the green. The risk paid off.
Willis was not a gambler. He opted to short the ball and land in a safe spot that would give him an easy shot to the green. He said, "I was impressed with your speech last night. You should be a preacher!"
"Actually," he replied, "that's what my grandfather always said. He was an ABF minister, you know. Stanley Barton, my mom's dad." They continued to walk together to Willis' ball.
"Really?" Willis asked, impressed again. Barton was one of the founding ministers of the fellowship nearly eighty years earlier. It spoke a lot to his religious pedigree, something that was important to the bishop. "I knew you were active in the ABF, and I know your pastor down in Jefferson City, but I did not know that." Willis lined up for his attempt at the green, and safely landed the ball about a yard from the hole. He was pleased. He walked over and stuck a marker in the ground while Terhune prepared for his shot.
His attempt was much further out, about ten yards. Yes, he had cleared the trees, but now he was faced with the distance to the hole and a slope downhill. He said, "Well, I had considered it. But that was a loonng time ago. I ended up as a polysci major at the University of Missouri, and then law school in St. Louis." He putted.
The ball did not have enough backspin to slow it down as it approached the hole, and ended up sliding past about three yards. Willis thought, "Sometimes the risk pays off, sometimes it doesn't," and lined up and made his simple putt.
Terhune responded to the putt with his own, and made the hole. Though they had used differing strategies, both had made par.
For the next six holes, the two men continued with small talk about families, common connections, the weather, and Missouri Tiger's football and why they can never seem to catch a break. The score would go back and forth between them, as each hole generated increased competition for the next.
Teeing up for the eighth hole, Terhune asked the preacher, "How are you enjoying your new position?" He powered the ball down the fairway, making the most beautiful shot of the day, landing directly on the green, a mere two yards from the hole.
The Attorney General knew more than he let on. Yes, the bishop had just this summer been elected to this position, replacing the former who had suffered a heart attack in the spring. There had been no 'heir apparent' to the position, and so numerous ministers were submitted for consideration at the annual district convention in July. After nominating ballots, no clear choice was apparent. Eventually, other names of ministers in the district were submitted, including Willis'.
Willis did not pastor one of the larger churches in the district, nor did he have a necessarily dynamic or passionate ministry reputation. He was a member of several smaller district committees, including one that dealt with ministerial ethics. That is where he had established his reputation.
Years earlier, as a freshman member of that same committee, he had made an eloquent defense of the fellowship in the action of dismissing a pastor who had 'veered from the faith', in his words. It was no secret that this rural pastor was causing a stir in the district with some of his views, especially regarding marriage. Willis, in no uncertain terms, made it clear that 'this fellowship, always has and always will, hold to the view of traditional marriage: one man, one woman'.
What many didn't know is that the man Willis sought to have excommunicated from the fellowship was his former college roommate and best friend for years, Pastor Gary Carter.
Keeping a story such as polygamy a secret is no easy task, especially among a group of preachers. Many remembered Willis' name, and as the nominating and balloting processes continued, it slowly became clear who was favored to replace the ailing superintendent. Before the convention was over, Willis had been elected.
"Nice shot," Willis responded, "really nice." He teed up as well, and made his shot. It wasn't a bad shot by any means, and gave him great cover for his approach to the green, but it was no way competitive with the Attorney General's. "I never imagined that I would be serving as District Superintendent at this point in my life."
"So, your ministry area is Missouri, Illinois and Tennessee, right? All the ministers in the three states answer to you?” Terhune asked.
"'Answer to me'?" Willis responded, "Well, we are what we call a 'cooperative fellowship'. I serve as more of a pastor and administrator than anything else. My job is to encourage our ministers, and to help our churches."
As they continued to walk to Willis' ball on the eighth fairway, Terhune said, "Well, that is exactly what I wanted to talk to you about; helping your churches."
"What did you have in mind?" Willis popped the ball onto the green, inches away from where Terhune had landed, but further out.
"This is not public knowledge yet, but there are a group of us in Jefferson City who are planning to do a push for the Missouri Marriage Amendment," he explained.
"The MMA? I thought that was dead?" questioned the bishop.
"Like I said," as Terhune putted, landing the hole, "I don't like to lose. That was one that I lost."
It was a big loss for the rising conservative star just two years earlier. The MMA was heavily supported by various pro-life, pro-marriage, and conservative groups. But, it received a media backlash as the gay community statewide, especially in Kansas City and St.Louis, put the pressure on legislators in the capital to deep six the amendment. Though there was a tremendous effort by churches, a lot of them in the ABF, to help get the amendment passed. But once TV stations and the major newspapers across Missouri had tagged it as the 'Hate' Amendment, it began to die.
Bishop lined up for his putt and then paused, looking up at Terhune, "I'm not sure that’s a fight that can be won. Besides, the ABF is still licking its wounds from that loss. We got a lot of bad press out of all that. I'm not sure how eager our churches would be for another battle that quickly." He released and made the shot.
"That's puts you one stroke ahead, Bishop." He said. "Like I said, I don't like to lose. We've come up with a plan to get the amendment passed, and I believe that it will work. In fact, I believe it so much, I am willing to stake my campaign for governor on it."
"Governor?" Willis questioned retrieving his ball. "I didn't know...."
"It's not official yet, but I've formed a campaign committee to run in two years. My plan is to use the MMA as part of a 'one-two' punch in the next election cycle, flipping Jefferson City from Democrat back to the GOP."
"You ARE ambitious," Willis remarked, "but have you forgotten about the homosexuals? They haven't gone away, you know. In fact, they are more confident now than before."
"That's the beauty of the new plan," Terhune smiled broadly, as the two of them approached the next tee, "it eliminates the gays from the equation, by fighting an enemy that can't fight us."
It was the Bishop's turn to go first. He teed, but this time he sliced horribly, planting firmly in a bunker. It was his first major error of the day.
"Did I rattle you, brother?" Terhune grinned.
"I guess," Willis laughed sheepishly, then pondered his shot. Then his pondering brought him back to the conversation. "Who?" he asked.
Terhune lined up his six foot frame, and smoothly swept through the shot, sending the ball into the sweet spot of the fairway. He was in the zone now. "Have you ever heard of Indian Village in north Missouri?"
"Sure," he replied as they walked down the fairway to bunker, "they're the Christian cult group with the radio preacher. They live up in Amish country. They seem pretty harmless."
"Harmless?" asked the AG. "Here you have a community of people, ultra pro-gun, ultra-anti public school, espousing strange beliefs. Plus, there are a number of them that are openly breaking the law."
"Breaking the law?" Willis asked, as he managed to get the ball out of the bunker and about fifteen yards back into play. "What laws are they openly breaking?"
"Well, there are several families there that are openly practicing polygamy. That is still a crime in the state of Missouri. And, if my information serves me right, you have had a bit of experience of your own with polygamists,” Terhune explained.
“Here is our thinking,” Terhune continued, pushing his ball within an easy putt for a double bogey on the hole, “we can’t beat the homosexual lobby. The media is in their back pocket, too. But, no matter if you are gay or straight, Christian or non-Christian, even the media has deep animosity toward polygamists. So, my office will be announcing in the next week our new ‘Secure Families’ investigation, with the aim of investigating polygamists across the state. The primary focus of our investigation will be claims against Indian Village. We are going to be partnering with the FBI, bringing them in for additional support as well. In fact, I have a member of my personal staff in Washington this weekend talking to the Feds. We know that all polygamist groups have something to hide that our good friends in Washington just love to go after. It might be underage brides. It might be illegal weapons. It might human trafficking. Heck, it might even be simple violations of the tax code. Whatever it is, between our office, and the FBI, we will find something.”
“So, let me see if I understand you, “the bishop observed, recovering nicely from his bunker shot, and landing in a great position on the green, “you’re going to investigate polygamists, and let the media come on board and begin to beat the drum. You’re going to let the FBI do the dirty work of investigating federal violations. Then, you are going to offer the solution that the only way to truly stop the horrors of polygamy in Missouri, is with the amendment. Wow.”
“Exactly,” Terhune responded. “The homosexuals will be neutered in opposition, because, believe it or not, most of the gay community is opposed to polygamy. If they rise up to try to oppose the amendment, it would look like they are supporting polygamy. Win. Place. Show.”
They finished up their shots, and with the AG three strokes under, for the next several holes there was not much talking, except for course observations. It was obvious that the minister was digesting all this new information, sorting it out in his mind.
Coming to the fifteenth hole, both men had been playing their game strategies. Terhune continued to take risks, and maintained his three stroke lead. Willis hedged his bets, and consistently made par, plus or minus a stroke, but could not seem to get the advantage.
This hole was the challenge. It was only a par three, but there was a significant water hazard around the hole. If you had a great command of your shot, you could make the green in one stroke, and an easy putt would give you a bogey. Miss it, and you had a two stroke penalty hitting the water, and it could change the game.
Terhune prepared for the shot, confident he could make the green. The previous two times he played the course, he easily achieved his one under. As he got ready, Willis asked, “Why are you telling me about this investigation?”
“Well,” Terhune explained, “You are in a unique position of influence. You are the district superintendent of this region, which gives you direct influence over more than 600 ABF churches and their pastors in Missouri alone. You are also a regular contributor to the national denominational magazine, which goes out to more than 10,000 churches around the country every week. And,” he said striking the ball, “you are going to be the ABF’s next General Superintendent.”
Terhune watched the ball lift, and he felt confident that the ball was going to make the green. Willis was looking at Terhune and asked, “What are you talking about?”
The wind had been calm all day, but at that moment, a gust appeared and blew just ever so slightly contrary to the ball’s path. Had it not been for the gust, the ball would not only had made the green, it would have made the pole, and would have been the Attorney General’s only hole in one in course play. He would have talked about making that shot for years, used as an illustration of overcoming adversity, and overcoming political challenges.
Instead, the ball hit the edge of the green by three inches, and, seeming to defy physics, bounced backwards into the water.
“Can you believe that? Ah, I HAD that shot! Arrgh!” The AG’s frustration was laughable, but he was serious. He did hate to lose.
“Sorry about that,” the bishop remarked, “I thought you had that, too.”
“Oh well, here is your chance, Frank.” It was the first time all day that the career politician had called him by his first name. “Don’t miss an opportunity to get ahead.”
As usual, Willis played it safe, landing his shot on the tee side of the hazard. It would be an easy stroke and putt for sure. As they walked to the water’s edge, he begged, “You didn’t answer my question.”
“I love information,” Terhune responded, “all kinds of information. It could be about law enforcement, insignificant political developments, things my daughter likes to eat, song lyrics from the seventies. You don’t want to play me in Trivial Pursuit,” he laughed.
“Seriously, I look at my job and my political career as processing information, and using that information to accomplish my goals. For instance, I have a source that provides me regular information on the goings on at Indian Village. And I also happen to know some information that directly impacts you,” Terhune said.
“Oh?” Willis wondered. In his mind as he considered his shot, he also began thinking about what the AG could know that would have any significance to him. He wasn’t worried about illegal activity. There was none. He made his shot and landed safely on the green. By carefully playing, he had now tied, maybe even pulled ahead of the risky opponent.
“Yes,” Terhune made his shot, and landed on the green. “My grandfather was very good friends with the current General Superintendent of the ABF. He is practically like family to us. Now, I have it on very good authority that he is going to be stepping down at the next General Convention, which means that the ABF is going to need a new leader. They are going to need someone a lot younger to appeal to the growing, contemporary churches. But they are also going to need someone who is a ‘company man’ so the speak, to appeal to the older ministers and their constituents. Finally, they are going to need someone who has his pulse on the current issues of the day. I believe that you are in that position.”
The bishop considered what he said as they continued to play. When he was elected to the district position, it was not because of anything really on his part. He didn’t campaign for it, he didn’t try to ask for his name to be put into nomination. It just happened. He took it as God’s hand being involved in the process. He took advantage of the opportunity.
But, having been elected, he loved the job, and felt he was good at it. He did seem to have a natural way of leading the district, and the district ministers and churches responded positively as well. He felt in many ways that he was a ‘defender of the faith’, and that he was honoring the traditions of the ABF.
He also didn’t like some trends he was seeing in his denomination. There seemed to be a de-emphasis on the ministry schools, a reduction in emphasis on missions, and a focus more on ‘flash’ than substance in many of the growing churches. He had made an effort as district superintendent to a return of the ‘traditional’ values of the ABF.
As General Superintendent, and coming into the office in his forties, he could have influence on the fellowship for decades. The idea appealed to him.
“I’m forming an ‘advisory council’ of sorts to help with some of the faith issues involved as we proceed with our investigation,” Terhune continued. “I would like you to lead that committee. You would be able to pick and choose who you wanted to be on the committee. Now, keep in mind that this ‘advisory council’ is nothing official. It is simply to serve as a resource for information. That being said, I can pretty much guarantee regular press exposure, and you would, of course, have the full support and consideration of my office.”
On the one hand, Willis did not like the idea of using ‘politics’ to achieve a position with the ABF. But, he was not one to miss an opportunity, either. He felt that the fellowship was a crossroads, and he was concerned about the future. There was a ‘higher good’ involved. So, setting aside his personal reservations, in his mind he assented to the proposal. It seemed like a safe bet. After all, he was no gambler.
By the eighteenth hole, the men had worked out most of the planning and logistics of how the ‘Faith Advisory Council’ would work alongside this new anti-polygamy task force in the state. They came up with names of possible committee members, and Terhune mentioned the owner of a chain of health food stores across the state that could provide the funding for the FAC. That same health food chain had been picketed two years earlier by the gay community for posting signs in all its stores, ‘Pro Family. Pro MMA.’
It was down to the last shot of the game, and Willis was up. The AG had made his putt, and all the bishop had to do to tie the match was to bounce out of the rough, and pushed the ball uphill into position near the hole and make an easy putt. Then it would go to sudden death.
But, out of character for the minister for the first time in the game, he decided to gamble. He struck the ball a little high giving the ball forward spin. It hit two yards from the hole, and as if trying to climb up the slope of the green, it reached the lip of the cup. For a moment, it appeared stuck…and then….
Dropped in the hole.
Willis looked up from his position, and saw the AG shaking his head, laughing. The preacher was pretty proud of himself. He won the game by a single stroke.
Terhune reached out his hand, “Congratulations! Good job…decided to take the risk, huh?”
Willis gripped the AG’s hand with confidence, “Yeah, I saw an opportunity and I took it.”
The Attorney General asked with a side glance, “Any other opportunities you are considering?”
The preacher paused for a moment and announced, “I would be glad to help you by leading the Faith Council. Count me in.”
The AG responded, “That’s great, Frank, just great…hey, I lost! I owe you lunch! Let’s head up to the clubhouse and see what they’re having. We can talk more about how we can help one another.”
“Okay, let me call my wife and tell her that we’re leaving a bit later this afternoon than we planned. I’m preaching at a friend’s church up in St. Joseph tomorrow, so we’re driving up there tonight. But, I’m sure that the kids wouldn’t mind a couple more hours at the indoor water park,” Willis explained.
The two men proceeded retrieved their bags, and began to plan on ridding Missouri of polygamists.

READ CHAPTER FIVE HERE: http://www.biblicalfamilies.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3691

Back