• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Paradox of Polygamy . .

Doc

Real Person
. . Why most women benefit from polygamy and most men benefit from monogamy
(article from Psychology Today)

http://www.psychologytoday.com/node/93

by Satoshi Kanazawa

Contrary to popular belief, most women benefit from polygynous society, and most men benefit from monogamous society. This is because polygynous society allows some women to share a resourceful man of high status. George Bernard Shaw (who was one of the founders of the London School of Economics and Political Science where I teach) put it best, when he observed, “The maternal instinct leads a woman to prefer a tenth share in a first rate man to the exclusive possession of a third rate one.”

Or, as the comedian Bill Maher asked his panel on his TV show Politically Incorrect on January 7, 1998, “Would you rather be the second or third wife of Mel Gibson or the only wife of Willard Scott?”, to which one of the panelists, the conservative commentator and activist Susan Carpenter McMillan, responded, “If it comes to Mel Gibson, I wouldn’t care if I was one, two, or three.” Of course, this was back when Mel Gibson was highly desirable. Substitute Matt Damon for Mel Gibson. The cast of characters changes in a decade, but the principle remains the same.

In contrast, most men benefit from monogamous society. Given a 50-50 sex ratio, monogamous society virtually guarantees a wife for every man, even a third-rate one. Under polygyny, some third-rate men may not find a wife at all, or, even if they are lucky enough to find one, their wife will not be as desirable as the one they can secure for themselves under monogamy, because under polygyny more desirable women would have become the second, third, or tenth wife of more desirable men.

The exceptions to this rule are highly desirable women, who benefit from monogamous society, and highly desirable men, who benefit from polygynous society. A highly desirable woman can marry a highly desirable man under any circumstances, but under polygyny she’d have to share her desirable husband with other women, whereas under monogamy she can monopolize him. A highly desirable man can acquire multiple wives under polygyny, but must confine himself to only one wife (albeit a highly desirable one) under monogamy.

It’s the nature of the statistical (“bell curve”) distribution, however, that most people are not extreme on either side; for example, most people are not extremely tall or extremely short, but of more or less average height. Similarly, most men and women are neither extremely desirable nor extremely undesirable. So most men benefit under monogamy, and most women benefit under polygyny.

When men imagine what living in a polygynous society might be like, they imagine themselves married to several wives. What they don’t realize, however, is that, more than likely, they would be left without any wife in a polygynous society. Polygynous marriage in a polygynous society is always limited to a minority of men. If 50% of men have two wives each, then the other 50% cannot have any wives. If 25% of men have four wives each, then the other 75% cannot have any wives. When women imagine what living in a polygynous society might be like, they imagine themselves having to share their current, no-good loser of a husband with other women. What they don’t realize is that they could be sharing Matt Damon or Bill Gates with other women.

Once we begin to look at things through the lens of evolutionary psychology and biology, they start to look quite different. Something that we previously thought was quite bizarre and morally wrong, like polygyny, begins to look quite natural and common. The perspective also gives us a new insight, like how women, not men, mostly benefit in polygynous societies.

This is interesting. Thanks for sharing. I like the reminder that I'd rather share a desirable/first-rate man which is hard to find these days especially in the arena of a finding a godly man. And like I said to my SW, in my case, I also get a first-rate woman/friend out of the deal so I am very blessed!

Awsome story brother! I would like too consider my self a first rate man! I believe this is so because I put God first in my life! God has led me too do many great things from being a pro-fighter on Showtimes Eilite XC. Too every one in my town knowing who I was. Now too preaching! If you follow the word of God you are a first rate man and God will truly bless you! :D

I think most of the men on this site would be considered first rate men. Who wouldnt want to be with someone so Godly? ;)

a really good article

my favorite;
When women imagine what living in a polygynous society might be like, they imagine themselves having to share their current, no-good loser of a husband with other women.
kinda makes ya wanna "be all that you can be"

A woman's heart should be so lost in God that a man needs to seek Him in order to find her.
amen, ashley

Good article. Evolutionary biology suggests that polygamy can be an elite marital arrangement. But polygamy can be dysfunctional, as we see with the more fruity polygamous cults that appear in the news from time to time.

The United States government banned polygamy in the late nineteenth century, because (as I understand it) it was seen as a disorderly marital arrangement. The implication was that monogamous households are never dysfunctional. I suggest that supporters of polygamy need to present polygamy as an elite marital arrangement, and make it clear that they do not support the more fruity polygamous cults that appear in the news from time to time. If society comes to regard polygamy favourably, lawmakers might follow suit.

There are international measures of human well being, and a successful polygamous society of the future will take pride that their polygamous wives are long lived, in good health, free from harm, & have good access to health & education. Lawmakers will look at these measures of human well being, and will also look for the following points:

Point 1. Assured stable household income of, say, US$100,000 a year.

Point 2. The husband should be clever and amiable. Intelligence can be tested, and also personality to some extent. Polygamy should be seen as an elite marriage arrangement, superior to monogamy, in which case it is appropriate for would be husbands to accept some selection.

Point 3. Divorce settlements. The current arrangements for divorce settlements are potentially disastrous for a polygamous marriage. Laws governing settlements for polygamous marriages will have to be more lenient than for monogamous marriages. Then again, a divorced woman can readily enter a polygamous household. There is no need to restrict herself to single men.

Point 4. Gender ratio. If the proportion of polygamous households ever gets to 1%, then the excess of single men will become noticeable. If a first world country takes polygamy seriously, we might find that women in other countries who support polygamy will be prepared to move to such a polygamous first world country.

The TV show Big Love does present polygamy favourably, so is a step in the right direction.

Back