• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The top six things the Church argues about.

Tlaloc

Hebrews 6

Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of:

1: Repentance from dead works
2: Faith toward God
3: The doctrine of baptisms
4: Laying on of hands
5: Resurrection of the dead
6: Eternal judgment.

Is that a list of the major church dividing arguments over the last two millenia or what? Repentance, Faith, Baptism, Healing, End times, Salvation. No small wonder its been a constant ebb and flow of apostacy and revival. Spurgeon for one decried the lack of substance to preaching in his time, and I do in mine. If you see a church that dwells on any of these topics most sermons beware (and if they dwell on tithes remember the didache, send anyone who asks you for money in the name of Jesus away as a false prophet). Obviously systematic exposistional preaching will hit these, but i'm not talking about that.

The next line is interesting too,

and this we will do, if God permit.

Has he not? It is almost strange the church (of any denomination) falls into this pit of milk that they are forewarned about. Has God for some reason not permited us to (as a whole) mature yet? I wonder whats on His mind... He always does have the best plans.

Perhaps the church was expected to have the issues settled and the foundation was already solid. It doesn't mean that the topics were not important or part of our life.

Unless one takes a bit of liberty with what is included in the first two bullet items, I'm not sure that the list is complete, or even hits the "real biggies"...

Certainly the one that I see the most (including even here :lol: ) is the "torah (or 'law') done away with" claim, and the question of what Yeshua meant when He said He came not to change one yod or tiddle until "all" is fulfilled, and heaven and earth pass. Then there are the much-related issues of idolatry, and whether 'the Church' has "changed times and seasons" by replacing His feasts like Pesach (passover) and Sukkot (Tabernacles), etc, with Easter and Christmas. Along with priestly celibacy, the elevation of monogamy to an object of worship undoubtedly comes in there somewhere, too, as another "old" thing that has been superseded. ;)

Blessings,

Mark

My personal favorite is the those who will vehemently claim that drinking wine will send you to hell. This is usually discussed over thier 2nd helping of pork chop biscuts. (OY!) Yet I digress.

The biggest problem with churches today... They are full of people. :p :p :p

Welltan,

The context pretty clearly shows that the churches where supposed to have these issues clear and thier foundaitons solid. And yes, they are hugely important issues to our lives.

Mark,

Yeah, I know there are many other major, probably even more prevelent things churches argue about, the main point of my post is that there is a list of things that we should have figured out and not be continuously mulling over, and despite clear scritprue about the topic churches still argue over it, and they are still core topics of any milk and water church. I was admittedly over extrapolating. You must admit most churches woulndt even allow you're discussion past the front door. Sames true for polygamy of course.

Miz,
Yup.

Agreed.

I might even even submit that 'most churches' wouldn't even allow large parts of Scripture past their front door, much less the meat of the Spirit.

Blessings,

Mark

Large amounts of scripture being excluded is true for most churches. The theological entrance becomes very small and often there are additional bylaws that serve a specific purpose of excluding certain ideas or elevating personal favorites above other truth. Of course in most areas we all have beliefs that we hold firm to.

Tlaloc, the two that you mention that can be difficult are the baptisms and the the laying on of hands. Baptism can be water or the Holy Ghost and if water then once, twice, or three dunks, backwards, forwards, straight down, sprinkled. If the Holy Ghost then that is a whole nother discussion. Laying on of hands can also be the Holy Ghost or ordained for a purpose. I know we are supposed to have these issues settled so whatever the terminolgy meant to the early church is what I believe should be now also.

I think the little bibles placed by the Gideonites show great depth into what most churches accept. New Testiment, Psalms and Proverbs. Those books in the most stripped down 20th century context are allowed, oh, and any passages concerning tithes, because tithes go on even though they don't care about the rest.

Weltan,
Right, anything Holy Spirit is requires a thesis and thirty page intro just to get the same terminology down. Method of baptism is one thing too, but the really big baptism fight is the padeo-baptism vs belivers baptism thing.

The approach that whatever the terminology meant to the early church is what it should mean now is a very good one, I hadnt actually thoght of such an obvious approach. Though it could be noted that things in the church fell apart pretty quickly, so what qualifies as early church has to be pretty strict and we may be limited in refrence matierals, except of course the epsitles, which are the best materials possible.

Back