• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The truth about the hymen

Lanora115

Real Person
Female
I've watched this a few times and decided its too good not to share.
I think it's true and all truth is good to know.

You should have seen my Grams face and reaction when I shared this with her.
It was a look like is there something you should tell me?
And the question was....did you look for this or is it just something you found?
It was something I found for the record.

And it shed some light on a few things I've heard (I can't speak from personal experiences on this matter);)

Anyway I'd thought I'd share and would love to here some feed back from you ladies :)

Sensitive subject!

On another poly site I remember there were several threads that went bad when men asked single women on the public forum if they were virgins!

I watched the above video and thought it was interesting, well presented and factual.

It makes me wonder about the "proofs" or "tokens" mentioned in the bible. My thought on that is that any man who likes his new wife is not going to want to bring charges against her....but the thought of honor killings because of misinformation is not a good one!

Prove all things.....but I guess it may be hard to "prove" virginity after all.

It was a very interesting video. Like Jolenakamama said..what was the "proof" mentioned in the bible? I know in our study groups we have all thought is was the bloody sheet..but I will have to do some research on the topic.

@Lanora115 --thanks for a very timely video. Reminds me of "Myth Busters". These young women were well researched and courageous, IMO. Like @MaryandJim, I, too, am very interested in knowing the bottom line on how those Scriptures have been translated. Was there a cultural bias in the translation? According to the above information, either there was a cultural bias or gross ignorance that has been passed upon the human race for centuries. It is a well documented fact that the hymen can be broken accidentally through various types of sports, falls, or accidents. I know of one situation where the woman's hymen was so strong that the doctors had to cut the hymen for a vaginal birth.

It is a well documented fact that the hymen can be broken accidentally through various types of sports, falls, or accidents.
I have wondered about this. It would seem it may be hard to document in light of the differences that exist between individual women.
I think it may be possible that the oft repeated "it can be broken accidently" is simply not true.
I have thought about polling the women in my close circle (family and friends) to try and get an idea of how those women's experiences correlate with what those medical students in the video presented.

I have also heard about some very strong hymens. So there are certainly some who may experience pain or bleeding, but that is not true for all.

Oh, I could give TMI on this topic from my personal experience :cool:

Haha interesting topic for sure. Guess we will just have to go with their statistic unless we want to create our own poll, which I would find interesting :D

There are facts at play that they don’t consider in their research. The gals were most likely around 12-13 getting married in the Old Testament and were most likely marrying men twice their age. On top of that, generally it was an arranged marriage- I don’t think I wouldn’t be loosey goosey in a situation like that. Just sayin o_O Most gals that have sex before they get married are in a hot and heavy situation with a guy around their same age. Women who wait until late 20- early thirties, naturally their hymens open more as they age.

I lost my virginity at sixteen (not by choice) but will say that in my experience there was none of the hymen-ripping drama that I've heard about over the years.

Was it uncomfortable? Yes.
Was it weird? Yes.
Was there blood? No.

And from what I've heard speaking to the women I know their experiences were more or less the same.

Besides, with the use of tampons it's likely that a lot of women take care of this issue at 12/13/14 and then when it's time for sex they never notice anything.

Back