• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The truth from southern Utah

If you marry more than one man or one woman its committing adultery.

What verse says this?

To know what the Bible really says about this lets contrast the stories of David and Abigail, with David and Bathsheba. In both relationships David was already married, but God sent a prophet in only one of them. Why is that? The reason is that David took Bathsheba while her husband was still alive, thus committing adultery. With Abigail, God killed her husband and only after did David take her as a wife.

In both cases David was already married, so his status is not important. However the status of the woman is significant. Abigail was available, and Bathsheba was not. David was rebuked after Bathsheba, but not Abigail.

The Biblical meaning of the sin of adultery is relations with a woman that is someone else's wife.

What verse says this?

To know what the Bible really says about this lets contrast the stories of David and Abigail, with David and Bathsheba. In both relationships David was already married, but God sent a prophet in only one of them. Why is that? The reason is that David took Bathsheba while her husband was still alive, thus committing adultery. With Abigail, God killed her husband and only after did David take her as a wife.

In both cases David was already married, so his status is not important. However the status of the woman is significant. Abigail was available, and Bathsheba was not. David was rebuked after Bathsheba, but not Abigail.

The Biblical meaning of the sin of adultery is relations with a woman that is someone else's wife.
I think he just conflated the two genders. Yes, if a woman marries more than one man, it is adultery. Where did he get the "or one woman" part from though? I'm thinking he got it from the Argument from pastors who don't know what they are talking about fallacy. Yeah, I made that up!

I think he just conflated the two genders. Yes, if a woman marries more than one man, it is adultery. Where did he get the "or one woman" part from though? I'm thinking he got it from the Argument from pastors who don't know what they are talking about fallacy. Yeah, I made that up!

Yes. Agreed. That is exactly what he is doing. I was hoping he would realize that himself when asked. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't.

There are quite a few one could do, here's an idea:

pw6e2Vf2sHiSlD2tfhkwGEYRjVgxqICMN9DSECBckyDI-f_aSkeWG54vnQJP0cjOgiNAACNefzrWNEx0bgzve3PvfYhHkawbXD5g6brPE5kI5CBZfjucJ61oBS1a4uri40CTKCbDNkUg3AHdeQ9jZlyFMgKO-oevteBZsle1MBtHXqIUTr79_YgKokTtFrEHYuYzzYsmzPWS1yEZ2Q0fICSV6dY4On_aEUp1N_iq29oc2DBTjBWCR7LWU5JwkxGXx_3FkUNvHMlDq6TTnnKSRKZzi3E_yp2sdXzW5ZMf1ajbFy9D6Lpc3vQj1iPvfgupxCuZrFp1lMl6z6MAZTmlQ6htCJN35NnXR8RRcZZ-h1DGIwAD4lyIEQFdbEzaeqKu5YddNXNJRTS9o84YjqyE1VLjZ2Wt1PZ75NDuJQVCVZSlXWsYHBqNmL3fkdGhOKX7EdmEHERJ1Glrk5gaDyGYC364L3S-AOc4fQC0rvUUJhh1PPlwtMERpcBsVjOz49ef0ZLoFPWAu11uJZaetnuYVN_Z3OWdmMOs8xL3Vsav21iGYiaDGxwksUB1RE_4koEKYPS24GWs6dN5UP71O999Y7Dah4CRfhFbULyMbwwGSc4IMpEd8xrJ2TNwLsai8OhCixeI4TdG8cKhmjTfF3AczoSqetLaiG8VH2GtNb36lQCNI65o1DD608Epbk_k-s9gl7fPh3LA3rn_3WIVIAFwlpACVfAZ_Iu1FaWeplWU5FGDPYJqCQ=w561-h445-no

And incidentally, on this forum and especially on this thread it seems like FollowingHim is a more level-headed dad, with a lot of rowdy boys to take care of. :rolleyes:

Back