• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The truth from southern Utah

Principles for Marriage

7 Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: t“It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” uThe husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband.
1 Corinthians 7:1-2

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and hgave himself up for her, ithe washing of water jwith the word, kthat he might present the church to himself in splendor, lwithout spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.1 mhusbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. nwe are members of his body. o“Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and pthe two shall become one flesh.” qlet each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Ephesians 5:25–33

So polygamy is a sin. I stated facts from the bible.
Would it not then, according to your logic, be sinful to have zero wives? I Cor 7:2 is not a commandment by any stretch of the imagination, Further down in that very chapter, Paul delineates what are his suggestions from commands given by the Lord. Verse 1 gives us context, and the Greek words Paul used literally mean "to be bound to a woman". NIV more accurately translates that verse as Paul saying that it is good not to marry. In other words, Paul is contrasting marriage with celibacy, not monogamy and polygamy. Ephesians does not say anything about how many wives a man may have either, so that verse proves nothing. Your facts that you cite completely fail to support your conclusion. You sir are guilty of Eisegesis. You have simply read into the Scripture what you want to see, and have given all of us reinforced reasons not to take you anti-polys seriously.

Look, I'm stating facts from the bible. I'm not saying this from what I know but what the bible says. The bible gets full credit.

I would like to point out also that you can make the Bible say whatever you want it to say, I mean think about it, it's all about context or OUT of context. Take for instance the Holy Bible says... Cain slew his brother Abel...

And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
Genesis 4:8 KJV

And the Holy Bible also says go ye and do likewise...

And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
Luke 10:37 KJV

You see I just got 100% biblical with you so now I guess you can start your own Mass murdering cult.
I took both these passages completely out of context they have nothing to do with each other but 100% BIBLE so you my friend need to be careful when you quote scripture and look at the context.

You have what I call a Burger King religion you want to have it your way and not YaHWeH's the LORD'S way.

You need to look at all of scripture not just the New Testament and for those that are Torah observant we can't just look at the Old Testament either we have to look at the whole scripture and not pick and choose what we like.

I mentioned earlier that I was not raised in a Christian home as a matter of fact I wasn't raised in a Christian Home in any way shape or form. When my wife and I started going to church it was amazing the doctrine the Baptist we're teaching us and we would have friends show us scripture in context and it's amazing how a lot of denominations twist the scripture to prove their Doctrine that's why we need to...

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
Acts 17:11 KJV

AND

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2 Timothy 2:15 KJV

Anyways I pray that you will see the truth concerning this subject and other subjects and that your eyes will be opened like Saul.

And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.
Acts 9:17‭-‬18 KJV

Matthew 27:5 (KJV)
And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
Luke 10:37 (KJV)
............. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
Colossians 3:23 (KJV)
And whatsoever ye do, do [it] heartily.......

It’s all Scripture ;)

It's a good thing this site doesn't have hardly any trolls. When I want to do debating on this topic, I go to Facebook and YouTube. BF, is such a respite, after having put up with enough shenanigans from these anti-polys!

Freed from the Law
Romans 7 1-12

7 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law [a]has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to herhusband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while herhusband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man. 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
OK so!?!?!? No one here defends the practice of a woman taking more than one husband!

Sin’s Advantage in the Law

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.
There is not one law that says, "Thous shalt not have more than one wife."

Exodus 20:12,17

12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

The version I am using is the new king James version.

Look, I'm stating facts from the bible. I'm not saying this from what I know but what the bible says. The bible gets full credit. Why would you want to share your husband or wife?
The use of singular is not a prohibition against more than one by any stretch of the imagination. This is a combination of an Over-generalization and Non-Sequitor Fallacy; perhaps a Quantifier-Shift Fallacy. We do not advocate sharing wives, so that is a bit of a combination of Half-Truth and Straw-Man.

Look at exodus 20:12. Its all singular not plural.

You gotta be joking! Wait! You are serious! You actually believe that this somehow proves that polygamy is prohibited! Definitely a Quantifier-Shift Fallacy!

If you marry more than one man or one woman its committing adultery.

Your definition of adultery is meaningless. We will not stand before you on Judgment Day, so we have no concern whatsoever how you wish to define terms. You didn't write those 10 commandments, so I will stick with the definition of the One who wrote them Lev 20:10.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, this reasoning on your part takes the form of Denying the Antecedent. It states that if P then Q, therefore not P implies not Q. So if Scripture states that you are not to covet your neighbor's wife, somehow that means that your neighbor is not allowed to have two wives, because if he did, you would have been prohibited from coveting either of his two wives. That is logical nonsense!

This is a funny thread. I could only imagine the level of unpreparedness one would find themselves at when posting something like Mr truth did.
It’s the reverse of posting something anti polygyny on Facebook. In a secular forum you would have 20 people backing you up. Here in a godly setting you have 20 people telling you your wrong lol.... it’s ok Mr truth most of us where where you are at one point.

This is a funny thread. I could only imagine the level of unpreparedness one would find themselves at when posting something like Mr truth did.
It’s the reverse of posting something anti polygyny on Facebook. In a secular forum you would have 20 people backing you up. Here in a godly setting you have 20 people telling you your wrong lol.... it’s ok Mr truth most of us where where you are at one point.
Yeah! Poor schmuck! He thought he had all the answers and he was really going to show us the truth! We love you Mr. T. Gotta warn you though. If you do realize how pathetic the anti-poly position is, and come to know the truth that you think you already know, you are going to get a lot of guff, vitriol, and accusations for doing so.

Freed from the Law
Romans 7 1-12

7 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law [a]has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to herhusband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while herhusband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man. 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Sin’s Advantage in the Law

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

Exodus 20:12,17

12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

Look, I'm stating facts from the bible. I'm not saying this from what I know but what the bible says. The bible gets full credit. Why would you want to share your husband or wife?

If you marry more than one man or one woman its committing adultery.
So you are arguing that the Law states we are to have only one wife (based on your understanding of Exodus 20). But also argue that we are freed from that Law by Christ, and are now dead to it, serving in the Spirit not the letter, so it is no longer applicable.

So I can ignore the Law and have two wives, right? Because I'm free?

"Free" cannot mean that the law becomes more restrictive, it can only mean that it becomes more permissive, right?

Principles for Marriage

7 Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: t“It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” uThe husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband.
1 Corinthians 7:1-2

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and hgave himself up for her, ithe washing of water jwith the word, kthat he might present the church to himself in splendor, lwithout spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.1 mhusbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. nwe are members of his body. o“Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and pthe two shall become one flesh.” qlet each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Ephesians 5:25–33

So polygamy is a sin. I stated facts from the bible.

You stated facts and then jumped to conclusion that was not supported by your facts. Polygamists believe these verses, too. You fail to connect them to your conclusion.

Why do you think these verses mean that "polygamy is a sin"?

What is the name of this sin, or is it a nameless sin?

Or did God mean to write, "polygamy is a sin" somewhere in the Bible but forgot to?

Freed from the Law
Romans 7 1-12

That is funny. This is the exact passage I use to SUPPORT polygamy in the NT.

Verse 2 is specific to the wife only, not the husband. WHY? Polygamy.

The husband has no such prohibition. He is not bound to the wife only and is free to marry more than one.

This is one of the verses that prohibit polyandry. The other is in 1 Cor 7.

But it only prohibits polyandry.

It could easily have been written to prohibit polygamy ("For a spouse is bound by the law as long as...") but it was not.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make in understanding scriptural teaching on men and women is to use the scriptures about them interchangeably.

Look, I'm stating facts from the bible. I'm not saying this from what I know but what the bible says.

But you are not reading carefully what the Bible says.

Notice again that the verse you gave is sex specific. It was "wife" not spouse.

Coveting is wanting what is not lawful to have. We all agree that a wife is bound and wanting her would be the sin of coveting, and having her would be the sin of adultery.

How does what you write apply to a married man wanting another wife who is single and available? Since it is lawful for him to have her it is no more coveting than him wanting the first wife.

The bible gets full credit. Why would you want to share your husband or wife?

The Bible gets full credit, but your interpretation is suspect, sir.

The Bible word for sharing your wife is adultery. The Bible word for sharing your husband is "marriage".

We only think of polygamy as something different than marriage because of our culture. The Bible does not portray it as anything different at all. Whether one or several it is all just marriage in the Bible.

It is a biological truth that all children have a father and mother. It is a huge leap from that to "polygamy is a sin".

The leap is more difficult with the fact that despite many opportunities God never wrote "polygamy is a sin".

It seems more clear that you are attempting to defend your culture instead of scripture.

Back