• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The virus ate/didn’t eat my job.

How is your income affected?

• Losing income

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Maintaining income

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Could lose income if it gets worse

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

steve

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
So I’m thinking, why not a thread for real people’s stories during this time?

I have been carrying mostly military equipment for years.
Friends have left for greener pastures, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush for me.
Suddenly I find myself in a niche market. With many places being shut down, the military is ignoring it all and, at least presently, I still have loads. They aren’t priority loads, just adjusting stock around the country, but as long as they show up to load me and unload me, I figure they need it moved. Who am I to judge the necessity of it?

I don’t think that we will see a hard-core shutdown, but you never know and I could wind up stranded away from home for a few months. I just keep my truck stocked with food and fuel. At least in this particular emergency we will probably maintain water and electricity.

I'm "essential" and those who work where I work are still paid even if they get their hours cut to comply with the 'stay home' order. Short of actually contracting the virus, I don't think they'd even let me take a day off now, lol
Water shouldn't be a problem, and electricity goes out around here a few times a year whether we need it or not... so we're used to a few days here and there of losing it because a butterfly landed on a power line or something.
On a related note, I get to answer questions about prepping to people I work with who have suddenly gotten interested in the idea. When all this blows over, I'm gonna be riding them pretty hard.

I was blessed with a state job a few years ago. My personal preference would be self employment, but very thankful this is where the Father has me... Income is secure.

I lost my job due to the covid19 mess, I still have my business but so few people are buying. Not enough to sustain me
I’m so sorry :(

Hours cut by 30% for me but that just got announced today and I would not be surprised if that got reversed soon. I am considered essential so almost no chance of complete layoff.

We are just beginning a nation wide lockdown for at least four weeks maybe more
Schools shut yesterday, the town went into hyper drive as people gathered hardware stores etc for the next month
Essential supply’s will be open but most businesses will close tomorrow for a month
I’m an electrician and self employed , so no real work for me for the next month (or more)
We will be at home for at least two weeks and we might move to our holiday home in the Marlborough sounds (if allowed)
It’s more isolated there but a change of scenery might be needed to keep us sane
Stuck at home with (lovely) wife and children 15y 14y 5y 4 mnth , is not something we are accustomed to and will take some adjustment

We will have no income but I hope we can get some limited help from the government.
Experience has proved it’s not as easy to get assistance as they say
Not a great place to be in but...we have some reserves to help us through one way or another
We will have to tighten our belts I’m sure.
If we can get to the sounds I will be able to go fishing that will be helpful for the dinner table and good stress relief.
I’ve been planning for this but it happened a few days sooner than I thought our government would act
( I was thinking we would get another four days or so to the end of the week ).
Let the games begin

We are in an odd situation where we live with minimal incoming or outgoing money, which insulates us a bit from the financial impact of this. Little changes for us in the short term. If it goes on for a long time it could have an effect on business revenue.
and we might move to our holiday home in the Marlborough sounds (if allowed)
There's nothing in the law that I've seen that would say you're not allowed to do that. There are still cars on the roads, just drive there and nobody will notice even if they did have a problem with it.
Though Sarah just told me hunting is supposedly banned - which makes no sense whatsoever. So the rules are a bit nonsensical.

Im a CNA, so im "essential", however my wife worls in retail as a store manager. If her store has to close, I'll more than likely go back out as a travel CNA to make sure the bills get paid. Ill probably be sent to the front lines if that does happen.

We are still running busy here, but if things did take a turn for the worse we would just park the trucks and ride it out.
When we aren't working we don't really have any overhead to speak of, and all of our equipment is owned outright so no payments to worry about there.:)
I like his post except for the fact that as the company secretary I am still busy wearing my least favorite "hat." I'm also crazy busy with my other jobs like orchard, flock, children, and soon cheesemaking. Farm life is great if'n ya like it....and I do! :)

Hey.. I hear NZ has lots of sheep... ;)

Actually, here, nothing except wild turkey is in season....
It's the roar at present, lots of people want to be off shooting deer. I don't think it's actually forbidden, there are strong advisories against it though and the huts people would stay in are all closed.

But I do have 3 sheep to kill sometime in the next few days! It's also the time of year to cull old ewes before winter. Also, the major market for mutton is China, as Western countries want to buy young lambs, so the price of cull ewes has sadly crashed, worst prices for many years. No market. But it does mean we won't run out of meat in a hurry.

Back