• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

There are vows ... and vows

CecilW

Real Person
Male
On a recent thread, a couple of esteemed colleagues (Doesn't that sound nice? :lol: ) proposed or advocated or asserted that vows are VOWS. And the Bible never tells us that it is ok to break them. And that therefore, if you got married under a vow of monogamy, you are flippin' STUCK, regardless of what God wants to do in your life, until you can get your wife to slip up long enough to release you from said vow. If she then repents of the release, (or perhaps sobers up), Hey! Too bad! The release is binding. You're home free! But until then, you, God, potential sister-wife and her kids -- all at the lady's mercy.

I'm sorry if that seems like a harsh synopsis of the argument, but I believe it to be accurate.

I also believe it to be erroneous, and am opening this thread for further discussion, rather than have it buried at the hindermost end of another thread.

Here is an alternate view of the situation:

First, it is at least a bit more complicated than the above. If we read the rules on vows in Torah (too hurried just now to look the references up but may later), you will find that they ARE subject to being set aside by higher authority.

If a daughter or wife makes a vow, even unto the Lord, her father or husband may set it aside when he hears about it. Is that principle transportable to the next level as well? Can a man make a vow and have Jesus/God, his Head, set it aside immediately? Does God do so when that vow is a wrong vow? At this point, I'll only claim it as an interesting possibility to be developed or discarded as we explore further.

Next, let's look at the topic of vows themselves. A woman is given over to be a witch. Accepts demons inside of her. Enters into a "marriage" with Satan. Then God happens. She gets saved! What is she to do with her vows to serve and be united with the devil?

"Oh! That's DIFFERENT!" Yeah. I agree. But please articulate just HOW it is different! Right!

** There are different kinds of vows.
** Some should be kept.
** Some should be modified or repudiated entirely when their issues are pointed out.

Ok. But how do we differentiate between them? Let's start with an easy principle:

** A vow to do right should be kept.
** A vow to do wrong should be broken, or at least modified so that it can be right.

The Gibeonite issue is one of these latter. It isn't wrong to agree to be at peace with folks. But God had specified that they were not to do so with the people of the land. So it was a wrong vow.

Upon discovering it, they went to their Head for instruction. That is important and plays into the earlier question.

Their Head, being of great mercy and unwilling that any should perish, came up with a solution for this one band of folks in Canaan who were willing to accept the service of God and went to such lengths to obtain mercy. A group who, in Egypt, could have left with the Israelites as part of the "Mixed multitude". But make no mistake, the Gibeonites did not get off scot free. They became perpetual hereditary servants. They did not remain an independent nation with their own gods and laws, etc. They got to live. And tote and fetch. The vow was kept -- BUT IN MODIFIED FORM. That is crucial to our understanding.

Going further in scripture, we find verses to the effect of Blessed is the man who fulfills a vow made even though that vow turns out to be to his own "hurt" or loss. Let's see if we can describe this in terms of a principle.

** A vow to do right, even if it turns out to be unprofitable to oneself, should be kept.

Ok. How about other variations? To shorten this, I'll come up with a few and my own conclusions about each.

** A vow to do wrong, hurting someone else. Should be broken due to the first clause.
** A vow to do wrong, hurting ourselves. Same thing.
** A vow to do wrong, hoping to profit either ourselves or someone else. Still can't get past the first clause. Must be repudiated.
** A vow to do that which is morally right and has been commanded, regardless of how others perceive it. Must be kept. Regardless of cost.
** A vow to do something morally neutral, (eg. walk a mile every day for a month, walk your sick neighbor's dog until they are well) which is good for yourself or others, should be kept. Though sometimes honorable escape clauses are built in, such as on a 2-year Verizon phone contract -- you just pay the penalty for early termination.

Now here's an interesting one ...

** A vow to do something neutral or good on the surface, which harms someone else -- particularly someone not party to the contract. I maintain that upon discovering the ramifications, this one should be broken.

There's even a Biblical example. This dude Jephthah says in Judges, "God, if you will give me victory, when I get home, I'll sacrifice the first living thing that comes out to greet me." Perhaps he was thinking of his dog, Old Yaller, who was gettin' long in the tooth anyway. I dunno. But he succeeds, goes home, and his DAUGHTER comes out first. "Daddy! You're HOME! Yippee! Uh... Why are you crying?" Dude doesn't say, "God, what am I supposed to do? You've instructed us NOT to sacrifice our kids. Shall I redeem her somehow? At what rate?" Nope. He's honorable, by gumm. Keeps his vows! Yessirree! He sacrifices his daughter.

My dad taught that this showed the importance of keeping vows no matter what. My uncle taught that this showed the fallacy of that view. I agree with my uncle. Jephthah blew it. And got it recorded for posterity.

Which brings us to the "traditional" marriage vow. "Keeping yourself only to her, so long as ye both shall live." That's the rub on this whole PM thing.

It SOUNDS good. And therefore as though it should be kept. And wives do like to argue that the only reason a man could possibly want PM is so that he can get a little sumpin' sumpin' on the side, so forgoing that is merely doing good but to his own hurt, so "Gotcha! Not unless I let ya! An' it AIN'T HAPPENING, Buddy. So settle down and get to work providing better for just ME!" Can't really blame 'em. They don't perceive the profit to themselves in PM, and think they've been given this authority.

But is this accurate? Please note that the vow does NOT promise to stay available, and keep communication open, and live together. You could conceivably go your separate ways and still remain true to this vow, so long as you don't hook up with someone else. This vow doesn't really say anything about your relationship with her. It only limits your relationship with someone else!

In fact, I think that there are three issues with this phrase which make it actively wrong, immoral, and not to be kept in its present form. Please hear me out.

First, it pre-states a future response to God as "No!" How so? Proverbs tells us that wives are a gift from God. The gift of a wife is a transaction occurring at some level between God and the man. By making this vow, the man promises that if God attempts such a thing, he will say "No." Do we really wanna put God on notice that we'll tell Him No? Really? Is it right to do so? What if we change our minds? How is that any different than the witch who gets saved?

Second, this vow seems to say that it is made to the wife-of-the-moment, and only she can release the man from it. Referring back to the the previous issue, this gives her authority to veto a transaction between God and her husband. In other words, it sets her authority higher than God's. This contradicts the first Commandment, "Thou shalt have no other gods (authorities) before (higher than, in advanced placement over) Me." Immoral. MUST be repudiated, though our colleagues who think that dispensations give them a pass on the 4th commandment might take a pass on this one as well.

Thirdly, is it merely swearing to the man's own hurt? He doesn't get a little sumpin' sumpin' on the side? Huh? *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*? Or does it actively hurt someone else? We in this particular movement of PM (as opposed to mormon or moslem versions) talk about one of the main justifications and needs for it arising from the demographics, and the numbers of single women, many of them moms, in need of husbands. Does refusing to step up and provide what is needed, a husband and a father, actively hurt / damage whoever God might have otherwise placed in your care? Does it? (If your answer is "No", then your first issue is to go to God and ask Him to make you into a man whom He can safely entrust with the hearts of His daughters. Once He does so, the answer jolly well SHOULD change to "Yes".) Do you have a right to vow to one person to please them by damaging another? Or is that a vow which should be repudiated as wrong? I vote for the latter.

IF you've had the intestinal fortitude, or were bored enough (*grin*) to stick with me this far, I hope you will see that there's a pretty strong argument to be made that this is an immoral vow on its face, however well intentioned.

If that is the case, men, is it entirely possible that our Head, upon hearing that we have ignorantly made such an immoral vow, may have simply said, "I disallow that vow. Got other plans for him. It is NOT to be chalked up as binding."? I maintain that He does and has, and that these vows fall under the classification of those which should be repudiated.

I believe that I understand the heart and intent of the vow, or at least perceive what that intent should be. So with my first wife, when coming to this realization years ago, I went to her, explained the situation as best I could, and told her that I was modifying my vow of approx 20 years previously to say, "I will love, honor, and cherish you, in sickness and in health, in prosperity and adversity, keeping myself open and available to you, so long as we both shall live."

Women, have any issues of your man closing up or becoming physically or emotionally unavailable? Is this a more desirable version? One which speaks to how your man intends to meet your needs, rather than concentrating on what he'll do in other of his responsibilities, which are really not your business and certainly not the issue in your wedding? Then why not ASK him to change?

-- End of Verbal Flood -- :lol:

Cecil, here's my two cents. I would say that when I entered my marriage covenant with Robert, I did it from a monogamous standpoint. This was one of the stipulations of the "contract" (covenant). Since Robert wasn't my head at the time I entered the contract, he wouldn't have the authority to nullify that decision. Therefore, I believe that the husband would need to be released from that stipulation in the contract before pursuing a second wife. I know that sounds terribly feminist, but you know I'm not that way at all. I do, however, see the righteousness of abiding by the terms of the covenant. How much better to let God work in the heart of a wife, rather than the husband running roughshod over her to claim his biblical marriage prerogative.

I think it is far more profitable for the wife to come to the belief that plural marriage is God-honoring without being forced into the situation just because her husband says so. If a husband doesn't have a healthy relationship with his first wife so that she is trusting enough to joyfully accept a second wife, then he has no business taking a second wife. If they both enter into the marriage contract with the knowledge that plural marriage is acceptable and may possibly be a part of their future, then the husband has full reign to do as he sees fit.

To those of you who don't know me, I am a first wife who got married under the "monogamy only" clause, but joyfully agreed to my husband's release from that promise, because I saw the beauty of biblical plural marriage.

Katie

Sure 'nuff. Understand your position, Katie. Just don't agree.

I do, however, agree that a man married in a monogamous contract should move very slowly and give his wife lots of time to adjust and talk things through and all the stuff that may ease the transition.

But ultimately, at some point, if she still says, "No! You are MINE! And I won't share!", he will have to declare a different headship and follow that leading.

I maintain that if she takes this ultimate attitude, and he ultimately buckles to it, their marriage will be ruined as will their spirituality.

It is, obviously, my opinion. I love those who disagree with me, while maintaining from my own observation and sad experience that it is truth.

God is STILL bearing with us after 6000 years. And husbands should bear with their oppositional first wives so long as they both live. But God doesn't allow us to dictate His course of action nor who He calls into relationship, nor whether He offers an exclusive God-franchise through THEIR denomination nor ... Neither can wives validly exercise that control over their husbands.

Excellent points, Cecil. I'll have to think your position over. I completely believe in the headship of the husband, so I'll have to mull this around for a bit (with heavy doses of the Word, of course!)and see what comes of it!

I always enjoy your comments, as they're based solely on God's Word.

Katie

I should probably tell a bit of my story as it relates to this thread. It will hopefully put what I'm saying into perspective of what I actually mean and where I'm coming from.

You, the reader, are then free to judge whether what I am advocating consists of running roughshod or not.

I wondered about PM, and why/when the morality of it had changed all my life. Events in '97, including John Grey's Mars and Venus books (despite his being a staunch monogamist) took my thought processes to another level, and I began studying it in earnest in Jan '98. My wife soon told me that if I attempted any such thing, she'd divorce me.

I kept studying. It seems morally dangerous to me to turn one's back on truth that is being revealed, no matter how seemingly irrelevant. At the time, my interest was simply in resolving my questions. My own marriage had finally improved in the areas which had previously caused years of frustration, and I was pretty happy with the situation.

For 6 months, I asked pastors, evangelists, and theology professors for a biblical justification for monogamy only. Caused them a lot of frustration when it turned out I knew Biblical answers for every one of their objections. Eventually, I gave up. And later still, started to wonder why God was revealing all of this to little ol' ME? Surely not merely for my amusement?

In the meantime, I tried to share what I was learning with my wife, but she refused to study with me, claiming that I was too persuasive and she feared I might persuade her. That she didn't want to be persuaded, and had a right to study on her own and form her own conclusions. Being a man who believes firmly in personal freedom, I had no choice but to agree. Besides, I believed in the persuasive POWER of truth, so was confident of the outcome. Silly, silly man!

A year later, Jan '99, I was ready to retreat from the whole PM controversy and merely hold it as an interesting theological position valued mainly for its shock and conversation starting value, on account of the "pain" it was causing my wife. She truly was my best friend. We'd been married 19 years and best friends for 6 or so before that. It was hard seeing her unhappiness.

Then I had a personal vision, revealing that this was God's will for my family. Details are available upon request. At that point, there was no turning back. The vision was both pointed and strong!

Over the course of that year, I continued to try to talk to her and study together. At one point she said, "I don't care WHAT you find in the Bible. I KNOW what is right and wrong, and that ain't right!" Hunh? We had been raised in the same sola scriptura teaching denomination. How was it possible to make such a statement?

During all of these two years, my vision of what it meant to be a man of God was changing. I was praying less, "Please give me another wife," than "Please change me into the sort of man who can be safely entrusted with Your daughters' hearts." At one point, my wife said, "I love all these changes in you. Just love 'em. But if they come attached to a requirement to accept PM as valid, no way!"

Along the way during that year, she began a systematic withdrawal from me and our relationship, step by step. I was later told that it had been an intentional strategy designed to cause me such emotional pain that I'd recant and come crawling back. Why do people do that? And why do they think it will work? Especially against truth?

Another year later, early 2000, it came to a head. I was snookered into an intervention with our pastor, in which I was told, "Last chance. I know you to be a man of integrity. If you believe something is right, you're eventually gonna do it. If that's PM, I ain't gonna be there, so am leaving you and taking the kids -- we've all talked it over and have it planned." I didn't fight, blow up, try to control, issue threats, whine ... just offered to be the one to move, rather than 4 of them. I believe this to have been a mistake, however kindly intentioned.

We separated and I began paying a substantial amount monthly towards the bills, as she had a job but it didn't pay "enough". Continued to plead with her for reconciliation. Restated my "improved" vows with most every communication and was told in return, "If you wanna get back together, you know what you gotta do."

Another 16 months passed, and she filed for divorce, summer of 2001 (3.5 years into the PM thing, if you're doing the math). I refused to participate, challenge anything, appear, or even sign the papers, saying, "I'm not divorcing YOU. There will never be a Biblically moral impediment to your return. All you will ever have to do is come in my door, say 'Honey, I'm home, and accept your headship to follow God's leading,' and that's it."

Our pastor felt it necessary to disfellowship me, making a public issue of the beliefs I had privately shared. My work ran out. Life got "interesting" in other ways. All our friends were told that I had deserted her and the kids. Sexual addiction was mentioned -- what other explanation could there possibly be? I was told that I was guilty of being mean, abusive, controlling and hating women. After all, I'd insisted upon going my own way rather than accepting the decisions of my wife.

Another 18 months passed, alone, before my current beloved mate was brought into my life, a divine leading if I ever saw one! We've been together for just over 8 years now, and wait on God for our family's future. Does He have a plan figured out that will bring my first wife home? Does He have someone else planned for us? Does He plan for us to remain a "couple"?

Dunno. Not my business. Still asking to be conformed more and more into a man who can be safely entrusted with the hearts of His daughters. Can see lots of progress, but many higher peaks ahead!

And I still love my first wife. Still bear with her. Still bear her and our children to the Throne on a regular basis. Still tell her that I love her and want her back in full relationship. Never, however, pester or try to demand. She is an individual with freedom of choice. She responds with polite "Thank yous". I think we're dear friends, though sometimes it seems as though attempts to make trouble occur. *sigh*

Friends and family point out all that I have "lost" due to the stand taken on Biblical Marriage. I can only see the gains -- an unimaginably closer walk with God, scads of new friends and experiences, and a whole lot of changes in myself.

Have I truly lost my first wife and kids, or does God somehow have them "on hold" as I follow cautiously along and grow? Dunno. Gave up wondering. Nothing to do but follow the Light in the Word. Nobut darkness everywhere else I look. Such, I maintain, is the choice before every man.

May God have mercy on us all, and correct my undoubtedly many mistakes. I'm now shutting up before my tears short out this keyboard ...

Hello all,
I think vows are important and should be kept . When I married The Chaplain neither one of us had ever heard of a Christian Plural Marriage. As the years went by God put a desire on his heart to learn all about Plural Marriage and he studied all he could about it but I knew nothing of what God had put on his heart and what he had been studying. If any of you have read The Chaplains post yall know that I was none too happy with the concept of Plural Marriage or the way he brought it to my attention. Have I ever used guilt to show him how he was wrong? Honestly ,yes ,and what I used was the example that Cecil started this new thread on. I would tell him when you and I married it was just one man, one woman for one last time and you were supposed to forsake all others when you married me and how is this Plural Marriage forsaking all others? I was hurting and i saw this as a way to "show" my Godly husband that he was wrong!!! But low and behold I was the one who was proved wrong. Have I ever verbally released him from his vow of just being married to me. No, I haven't but both he and God know that once God put Plural marriage on his heart that The Chaplain had to follow God's will for his and our lives.
Vows are important but I feel that following God's lead and direction that He gave to your husband nullifies the vow that you and he took when you got married to each other. In simple terms, If you are driving down the road and do not know the speed limit and you get pulled over and get a ticket will the excuse of " I didn't know the speed limit" get you out of a ticket? Probably not.. ignorance of any law does not justify breaking the law... Just because we did not know anything about Christian Plural Marriage when we got married over 30 years ago does ignoring God's call to my husband life and to my life ,if i chose to be the wife I am to be to him, and make it my calling too? Is his vow to me still in effect? In most ways yes. Did he vow to love me? to take care of me in sickness and in health? to stay with me until death do us part? The answer to the above question are an emphatic YES!!!! Do I have a right to hold him to the vow of only being married to one wife at a time because I don't like it or because I said NO!!! forget it buddy its me or her? I feel I don't have the right to hold him when God has put that strong desire in his heart to be a Godly and loving husband to another? Should he listen to my concerns and insecurities and try to help me work through them? Of course he should.. Should he force the issue and tell me you either say yes to do or else?? OF course not. What would an ultimatum like that do? It would only make me more determined that he would never get another wife and it would not let God work on me as long or as short as he needed to. Just my thoughts and opinions. I can either be a help or a stumbling block to the husband that God has blessed me with. I can say Finally I am willing and excited to be the help that he needs instead of a stumbling block that makes my husband fall and not do God's will in his life.

Blessings and Hugs,
Chaplains Rose

Cecil, brother, friend ... I pray God grants you VICTORY, nothing less than DIVINE VICTORY in the battles you've been facing, fighting, and working through for a long, long time. As I sat her reading your story I couldn't help but also think of my own and to learn from yours.

I told my wife about PM just a little over a year ago sitting with her on the sandy beach of Carlsbad. She immediately told me it was a "bullshit excuse to justify my love for another woman". Almost 6 months after that she released me from my wedding vows. Said she would no longer hold me to that part of the vows. You know she still fights radical insecurity, jealousy, and fear, but she also believes the scriptures regarding what God teaches about marriage and she's doing her best to deal with the change in me, her husband.

Let me ask ... as you look back over "your story" is there anything you would have done differently? Anything maybe you would change? Or did the personal choices that your wife made (which she was free to make, right or wrong) really make it a moot point in regards to how you handled her response?

tedjohnson said:
Let me ask ... as you look back over "your story" is there anything you would have done differently? Anything maybe you would change? Or did the personal choices that your wife made (which she was free to make, right or wrong) really make it a moot point in regards to how you handled her response?

Yeah, there are things I woulda done differently. Particularly since there was not a specific woman on the radar.

I had never been able to hold family worship on a daily basis. Wish I could. My dad did when I was little, but something broke in me when my parents divorced, and trying to do daily family worship has always made me highly agitated inside, like my fight-or-flight mechanism just got activated in flight mode. That is still the case.

I would attempt to get that fixed and institute daily worship. Morning and evening. Then introduce the topic gradually, a bit at a time, bringing about a paradigm shift BEFORE announcing to my wife that I felt it was God's intention for us.

It might also have helped if I'd chosen different timing to announce I wanted another wife. The time when *I* felt the most open and receptive, i.e. just after ... was NOT a good idea! Oops! I was thinking, "Being married to you is so GREAT, I don't want out, I want MORE!" I think she was thinking, "Marriage to me, especially THAT, must be so bad he wants someone else instead." Not good!

Hmmm. Might have helped if I'd embarked on the whole thing earlier by a coupla years. I remember telling one of my wife's best friends, also a long term and beloved friend of mine, who had just remarried after being alone for 10+ years, about my studies on PM. She responded, "Darn it, Cecil! Why didn't you decide this years ago? Do you have any idea how long I fantasized about the two of us getting together?" Who'da thunk? Possibly the one person my first wife woulda accepted. The two of them ran around together all the time with all our kids when they were little in Guam.

Do I think any of these things woulda made a difference to my wife's long-term reaction? Dunno. Prolly not. Enough time was involved, enough positive changes were taking place in me. Far as I can tell, she simply made a choice. I mean, when we're still living together, and she tells me to STOP bringing her a dozen roses each Friday afternoon, and throws the latest offering in the trash, saying that they and the words are meaningless so long as I won't swear exclusive fidelity to herself ... *shrug* Dunno what to say or do. Undoubtedly a limitation in me -- there is always something to do, right? But there it is.

Hey Cecil,

I believe a vow should be kept regardless of the deceptive intentions as in the case of Rachel and Leah. Deceptive for sure, but the marriage was kept regardless. And against taking a sister to wife while the other sister still lived!

Now having said that, if he had waited for Leah to release him from the deceptive vow, it wouldn't have happened because of the jealousies and competition between the sisters. And as the story goes, Rachel was also meant for him much in the way Bathsheba was meant for David. Her vow was broken to Uriah without his concent, for the fulfilment of God's plan for David. At what point is it allowable to modify a vow so to speak in order to be obedient to God? Shouldn't everything take a back seat to God's calling even if the morality of being a promise breaker is in question?

However, do you think that the pagan influences of the Constantine theology slip in the anchor of "forsaking all others" to deprive a man of a calling from God? And further still, doesn't the forsaking all others really pertain to other amorous desires rather than actual committed marriage with another wife?

Would like your thoughts my friend.

MiniMinistries said:
Hey Cecil, ... Would like your thoughts my friend.

Would love to give you a learned answer involving "the pagan influences of ther Constantine theology", my new old friend. :D Sadly, I dunno what all that is. I'm more of a bar-room or play-pen floor theorist. I hope that's kinda like a "garden theologian", which I perceive Christ to be. Leastwise, He was always trying to make it easy for us bemused simple dudes to understand by talking about sheep and gardens and orchards and walls and parties ... So I'm not sure if I'm addressing your question quite right, but here is what I THINK is the answer to what I THINK you may have asked. (No insult is intended. Simply self-revelation. I simply don't know that stuff.)

My theory is that when a couple get married, there are a number of unspoken, underlying (or perhaps "over/umbrella") vows being made that are not necessarily verbalized. Or even necessarily conscious!

Example: If I refrain from stealing when an opportunity presents itself, I may not be conscious of the greater, umbrella commandment, "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." I may be even LESS conscious that it all condenses further to "God is Love", and that since I am in Him (Root, Vine, Branches, John 14?), I am to naturally operate out of Love and to actually become Love myself. (Be ye holy as [in the same way that] your Father is holy. (Ref?)) But, nonetheless, when I refrain from stealing, all those other levels are in play.

Hmmm. 'nother example: Getting a driver's license. I have never once held up my right hand and sworn to refrain from engaging in vehicular homicide. However, that is implicit in my application for a license. And if I break that vow, I may expect dire consequences!

That applies to the marriage vow. When a man says that he takes this woman as his wife, he is tying into a concept having its origins in and governed by God Almighty. He is saying, whether he realizes it or not, "I will function as a responsible head in this relationship, with a Head in turn over me. I will fulfill the Divine duties of this role -- both those I understand and those that are revealed as we go along. Life involves change and we both will. I may like some of your changes and not like others. Regardless I will STICK! I will lead you towards Godly submission by modeling it to my own Head, Jesus. I will teach you how God loves us by modelling His Love and methods thereof towards you. I commit to this as a lifelong relationship."

He may be unconscious of that, but it is all there. He's looking at this vision of loveliness in a white dress and dreaming of peeling it off. Not thinking of dirty diapers at 2:30am, or having to arrange his work to rush home for 1/2 an hour every hour and a half because his wife did a real number breaking her leg and is laid up for 6 months in a cast, and there are 4 little ones and an hour and a half at a time is all they can manage without a mobile adult for a bit ... but he does it if it happens (Yup. That was autobiographical, too. Made the x-ray into a big colored print, had it nicely framed, and named it "Ice-skating", but that's another story ... :twisted: )

So when he comes up against the fact that God wants to do something different in his life than he had previously imagined, his lesser vow (the "keeping myself ONLY to you") made to his wife runs afoul of the greater vow ("I will follow wherever God leads, and change my life as He reveals truth, regardless of cost.")

In this case, I do not see repudiating the exclusion clause as "breaking" his vow to her, but as "modifying" it's outward detail to conform more closely to the higher vows made unconsciously by the simple act of saying, "I will be your husband instead of simply friend or one-night stand." The modification of the lesser actually fulfills the greater.

Note that I did not say "the chiseling out of" the former. When I realized that this clause in our vows said nothing about keeping our relationship ongoing, but only limited my behavior towards someone else, I modified it, not repudiated it. I said I would keep myself open and available to her. Regardless.

We just passed our anniversary. 10 years ago, she filed for divorce on that day, our 21st. There are those who say, "She's no longer your wife. She divorced you! Why do you talk with her? Why are you open about your life? You know she uses and has used the information to make trouble for you, over and over." I answer, "Really? Yes, it seems like that may be true. There's even strong evidence. So what? I promised 'for better or worse" and "'til death do us part" and "to keep myself open and available to you." I am fulfilling the vow of my wedding, as God has clarified my vision."

And it is all good. No resentment. My door is still open, 10 years later. To my mind and in my heart, she is still my wife. And I'm still keeping my vows as best as I can figure out and manage. *shrug*

But it is the higher, umbrella vow. Not the "inappropriate outworking" vow whose significance I did not understand.

And btw, if I HAD kept to the "inappropriate outworking", there is a very good chance that one woman would be dead today, and 4 children completely destroyed instead of recovering from the trauma of their natural father's abuse ... "By its fruits..." That seals it for me.

MiniMinistries said:
And further still, doesn't the forsaking all others really pertain to other amorous desires rather than actual committed marriage with another wife?

Oops! Realized I hadn't addressed this, nor the issue of Uriah / Bathsheba.

As to the latter, if it was God's will to bring Bathsheba and David together, He woulda organized it eventually in a righteous manner. David blew it. Did wrong. Dunno what else to say.

The idea that "forsaking all others" really meant something other than monogamy to both of us when stated won't work for me. Too big a stretch. We both knew what was meant. Monogamy. Can't argue my way around that. Communication did take place with no misunderstanding. But the implications?

We didn't know that it pre-stated a "No" to God, or that it gave her veto power over His plans, nor that it had the power to HARM another of God's daughters (and her kids) whom He had determined was best served by joining our family. Nor that all this set it at odds with a higher vow, of which we weren't really even conscious. Nope. We just meant monogamy.

And it was WRONG for all of the above reasons, and needed to be modified.

Yes, there is another implicit vow to forsake scrambling after random illicit temporary sexual liaisons. Uh... To quit spreading pollen anytime an opportunity 'arises'? :roll: :lol: However, I would argue that vow to have been within the umbrella vow taken at baptism and conversion, whether I recognized it or not. I have a dear unmarried friend who is studying to be a pastor in South Florida who seemingly STILL doesn't understand that part! :eek: *sigh*

But I personally can't get away with arguing that "one is the other."

Oh, and if another woman joins my family in committed marriage, make no mistake about it -- I intend to unleash all the amorous desire I can manage on her. (Not talking about the side effects of 14 years of poorly controlled diabetes ... :( )

Back