• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Things Christians Say About Polygamy

There may be some hope with Joe Morecraft, as I have heard him in one of his messages speak about slavery in the Bible with no apologies or excuses. Slavery and polygamy are the two issues in the OT that put Covenant theologians in quite a bind. They can't take the Dispenationalist view and say that when we crossed the magical NT line, they just disappeared. Since both of these issues were clearly spoken of in the OT, were clearly regulated and were clearly used by God to further His kingdom, it becomes very difficult for those that believe in one continuous covenant to remove these "doctrinal bombs" form the scene. I honestly believe that most ultra-conservative Christians (of which I am one) would actively pursue slavery before they would polygamy!

**DISCLAIMER** To those that don't know me well, I believe in Covenant theology, I am not advocating for slavery, but I am advocating for polygamy, specifically, polygyny :)

Caller: Because, I mean, I understand that we shouldn't argue for polygamy and all,
because the Bible does say, let everyman have one wife in the New Testament.

Where exactly does the Bible say this? :lol: This question being answered Biblically would have ended the discussion. Open up the Word of God for your answers, Matt!

I believe this is a misunderstanding of 1 Corinthians 7:2.

The argument can be made that the qualifications for elders in Titus 1 should be the example to the young men from Titus 2. Of course, this is up for debate due to the use of "mia" in the Greek, which can have multiple meanings dependent upon context, framework, etc. Some dismiss the "one woman man" interpretation, while others suppose that not all are called to be elders or deacons and so do not need to hold to this standard. I believe elders are called to be examples to the flock in 1 Peter along with 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1. However, the use of "mia" here does not seem to demand the definition of "one to exclude all others" but may mean first as in other passages men are called to faithfulness and not dealing treacherously with the wife of their youth. These sound like the first wife to me, so either way I find myself disqualified. I also have no desire for another wife, but maintain that God may change that desire if He pleases at any point in the future. I do not find it at odds with the entirety of Scripture to hold this understanding, though I do see how those taught monogamy only would not be able to see this option. I disagree with them, but I remember how hard it was to fight culture and training and just look at what God expressly said, leaving it to Him to define things.

Hi.
This is my first post. I am new in Biblical Families and hope to learn and contribute.
I would like to know if, among the things Christians say about Polygamy, there are any truly successful stories.
I was brought up Catholic, schooled by Benedictine monks, went to Jesuit University, later joined the Opus Dei...and one day I got divorced. This was followed by a still on-going passion for the truth in Scripture and plain Christianity. Had I known about Biblical families before I could have perhaps saved a marriage. In my heart, and in my Bible as well, it seems so desireable, yet I wonder in practice. Give me some light, please.
Federic

Federic said:
I would like to know if, among the things Christians say about Polygamy, there are any truly successful stories.
This was the first question I asked when I first started posting here also. It was my greatest concern. I would encourage you to read this discussion, and feel free to comment on that thread if you wish to:
http://www.biblicalfamilies.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3283
Now I've made it to America to attend a retreat, to be sure of this myself, and met both men and women in successful, long-lasting, loving polygamous marriages. I've also seen a few messes through this site, and learnt from them.

So yes, there are great successes, and also great failures. This site exists to encourage people to do what will be successful and to learn from failures. Because people tend to need support when they're in a mess, and not when everything's going well, there are a lot of messy situations discussed on here and it can give the impression that everyone's struggling. And as polygamy is more complicated than monogamy (particularly when society and family oppose you), and most of us haven't been raised to do it well, difficulties are sadly only to be expected. But the successful marriages are out there, and I would encourage you to consider attending a retreat at some point to meet families in person.

Thank-you Samuel. I read your suggested link. Sounds reasonable. Why risk a very harmonious family for an addition. I naturally long for it, and I can see the benefits for all, but finding the right second wife seems as hard or harder than finding the right first wife. The consecuences of failure affect more loved ones. May be wise to keep in mind Proverbs 19:14.

Recently Bob Enyart said something that got me excited.
On his show, Bob Enyart Live: Real Science Radio he bragged that he had debated only the best in the field.

Real Science Radio: the Cosmological Principle

25:22 On this show, when we want to debate polygamy, and show that it is wrong, then we get.... Who is the nations best-known polygamist? Leland Freeborn. We get him, you know, a Mormon, and we debate him.
-End of Transcript-

Is Leland Freeborn the "nations best-known polygamist"? I had never heard of him, but I have other things to discuss with Mormons.

Well, let's just say Leland Freeborn did not do so well. What did Bob expect?

Nevertheless, Bob Enyart gives up the Old Testament right out of the gate, and that is very interesting.

Bob Enyart Live: Polygamist Meets Bob
Downloadable from www.kgov.com

Lead in song. ( very cool!)

0:42
Bob Enyart: Greeting to the brightest audience in the country. I am Bob Enyart. Americas most popular, self proclaimed right wing religious fanatic, homophobic, anti-choice talk show host. I'm not going to give out our call-in number just yet, as we told you earlier in the week, tonight we, we are going to have a discussion, at least the first part of the show with a man who advocates polygamy. Who believes that polygamy is just. And not only that it is just but that the Bible promotes polygamy and defends polygamy.

And when God in Genesis, He made Adam and Eve, and God instituted marriage with Adam and Eve it was one man and one woman, and they married.

But then as you read through the story of the Bible, Abraham had his wife Sarah, and then he took another woman, Hagar as a concubine. Abraham had Isaac. Who had Jacob. Jacob, the patriarch of Israel, had two wives. He had Leah and Rachel, and then he also had two concubines.

Moses was married to two, Zipporah the Medianite and then later married an Ethiopian woman. In fact his brother and sister, Miriam and Aaron were upset because he took the Ethiopian woman, and God had defended Moses.

Of course we know that David, David married Saul's daughter. He married Bathsheba, Solomon's mother. He married. In fact David had a handful of wives. A handful of wives.

And...
One of the prophets of Isreal wrote that, in the latter days, that that seven women shall take hold of one man saying we will eat our own food and wear our own apparel. Only let us be called by your name to take away our reproach.

So that as we see, that as you go through the Hebrew Scriptures, the Old Testament, that there is an overwhelming amount of material that tells us that polygamy was common among Israel. Common among the leaders of Israel. Common among the most righteous men described in the Bible, for the most part.

And did not the Mosaic Law itself codify polygamy, and emphatically teach that it was acceptable to marry more than one woman?

I'd like to ask that question to Leland Freeborn. Leland, welcome to the show...

-End of transcript-

I hesitate to include the debate. Leland Freeborn does so poorly defending the practice from only the Bible. He is a self-proclaimed prophet, though not a Mormon, he does affirm the works of Joseph Smith. To be fair, I do not think he was ready for a debate, especially contained to the Bible. The way Leland Freeborn rambles, it seems he thinks he is being interviewed. What is sad about this whole thing is that Bob Enyart gives Leland Freeborn two softballs, and I believe the answers are right in the speech He (Bob Enyart) just had made in the lead-in and I have transcribed for you here.

Just to summarize the debate:

Leland Freeborn begins by citing Isaiah 4:1. Bob Enyart acknowledges the prophecy, but asks if it is necessarily a good thing. Leland Freeborn biffs on it. Bob Enyart compares this prophecy to one in Leviticus 26 about ten women baking their bread in one oven. Leland Freeborn consents to Bob's point. Which was only that the prophecy in and of itself did not make the practice of polygamy a good thing.

Bob Enyart then cites the "one woman" requirement of leaders in the New Testament.(sloppy but that's where it went) Leland Freeborn, handles the text at face value and is thrown off by the literal Greek. "one woman man". Leland Freeman had never heard the literal Greek, and he was stumped. Bob Enyart graciously asks Leland Freeborn to come back on his show when he is better prepared.

I could not find if Leland Freeborn ever returned, so I wrote to ask him if he had. He denied ever being on the show.

Neo Patriarch, glad you posted this. I saw my friend Robert Kirkpatrick post this earlier in one of the Facebook groups i'm in. It was good stuff. I would not doubt if he was never on the show, but who knows.

Federic,

I think that I can safely say that our family is a success story. We have lived PM for the last 3 years. It has been very hard, we've all made a lot of mistakes, but we've made it this far and are truly a family that desires to please the Lord and love one another.

My husband is on this board as RGK, my SW visits here occasionally as itainteasy. We have finally made it to the "other side" of PM and its a very nice place to be :)

NeoPatriarch said:
Todd Friel
Wretched Radio
WR2010-1218-Hr2
Leave a message 18772822337
Email: idea@wretchedradio.com

10:28
Todd Friel: Okay, why are we opposed to bestiality? It's not about consent. It's not about.
It's not about we are different than the animals. It's about the Bible says, it's a deplorable
act. The end. 'kay. No explanation. The Bible says so. Next. Man, Animals, don't mix.
Why is that bad? Why do you and I have a feeling about that that says that's wrong?
Because ultimately it is just a feeling unless there is an objective standard that says that is
wrong. So we need to get away from consent issues. We need to get away from going
ewe. We need to say, God says so, because there are arguments now, because of the
slippery slope, the door that has been kicked open. Thanks to the overturning of the
Texas sodomy laws. Now the slippery slope brings bestiality into play. It brings
polygamy into play, and we better start saying, No, God says so.

I don't know if the pun was intended, but this post discusses beastiality among other things, and I found it so amusing the bit that says, "We need to get away from going ewe." :lol:
and I couldn't agree more!

NeoPatriarch said:
Did you notice that Ray Comfort admits that polygamy is not outside God's moral character.

Can you show a direct source that he said that like an official online publication by Ray Comfort or a online transcript containing his spoken words from one of his video or audio presentations.

I just have the source. It is at the top of my post. You can listen, and hear for yourself.

I don't know if there its an official transcription done by them. I doubt very seriously that any popular ministry would make such a statement in writing.

Never the less, Ray Comfort, explains quite directly in this video that polygamy its not outside the moral character of God.

NeoPatriarch said:
I just have the source. It is at the top of my post. You can listen, and hear for yourself.

Hello! I tried listening to Wretched, but I cant find the podcast archive on poligamy. Could you instruct me to find it?
Thank-you.
Federic

https://ncfic.org/resources/view/the-defining-battles-in-the-war-against-scripture

Doug Philips of Vision Forum and the National Center for Family Integrated Churches (NCFIC)
Starts at 33:17 - about 34:30

"Do you think your pastor has the right to preach against polygamy? .... I mean really strong and hard, to say "Stop taking multiple wives!" Would you be good with that? By the way, I am really good with that. I think that's a great thing to do, no multiple wives. I'm all for that. But here's the problem with that, the only people in the Bible that are really commanded not to take multiple wives are kings. Elsewhere, the Bible regulates polygamy. And yet Christ in the New Testament makes it very clear that it was not this way from the beginning.... "

I agree with some of his points in the message, that we should not just make up all our practices and doctrines, or proclaim liberty when the Bible does not expressly state things in the terms we want to use. However, his point here (assuming this is not his whole case) is that the principal against polygamy is stated all through Scripture, so we should be able to see that polygamy was not God's plan. Coming from a reformed church elder whose ministry is built on patriarchy, whose educational program is modeled after the OT Hebrew culture set out in Deuteronomy 6, Proverbs, and other OT passages that he says must be followed today, I find this incongruous and possibly intellectually dishonest.

Federic said:
NeoPatriarch said:

Hello! I tried listening to Wretched, but I cant find the podcast archive on poligamy. Could you instruct me to find it?
Thank-you.
Federic

Sorry for taking so long ...my phone app went flakey

My last post was from a debate between Ray Comfort and Thunderf00t. If you want that to watch, I got mine from http://www.livingwaters.org.
http://www.livingwaters.com/index.php?p ... 99&lang=en

As for the wretched podcasts, to access those you will need to become a member of the website, I think its $5 a month.

I hope that helps.

Cow fam said:
https://ncfic.org/resources/view/the-defining-battles-in-the-war-against-scripture

Doug Philips of Vision Forum and the National Center for Family Integrated Churches (NCFIC)
Starts at 33:17 - about 34:30

"Do you think your pastor has the right to preach against polygamy? .... I mean really strong and hard, to say "Stop taking multiple wives!" Would you be good with that? By the way, I am really good with that. I think that's a great thing to do, no multiple wives. I'm all for that. But here's the problem with that, the only people in the Bible that are really commanded not to take multiple wives are kings. Elsewhere, the Bible regulates polygamy. And yet Christ in the New Testament makes it very clear that it was not this way from the beginning.... "

I agree with some of his points in the message, that we should not just make up all our practices and doctrines, or proclaim liberty when the Bible does not expressly state things in the terms we want to use. However, his point here (assuming this is not his whole case) is that the principal against polygamy is stated all through Scripture, so we should be able to see that polygamy was not God's plan. Coming from a reformed church elder whose ministry is built on patriarchy, whose educational program is modeled after the OT Hebrew culture set out in Deuteronomy 6, Proverbs, and other OT passages that he says must be followed today, I find this incongruous and possibly intellectually dishonest.

Mark,

When we told our Reformed Church pastor that we believed polygyny was honorable, he was very good to listen to us and give us time to have a dialogue with him about it. At first, he stated that poly was always wrong, but then, when he saw how incongruous that belief was with Reformed doctrine, he backed away from it and came from the viewpoint that it was "suffered", but from the beginning, it was not so. He then claimed that Christ said the Moses "way" was not God's way, and that Christ was fulfilling the Law by bringing marriage back to where it should be.

There are numerous problems with this stand. First, it contradicts scripture and debases Moses' Law, which most definitely is God's Law. Second, it is in direct conflict with Reformed beliefs regarding dispensations, covenants, etc. Unfortunately, this was the only way he could partially make a case for monogamy-only.

I tremble to say that I believe his position looks like blasphemy and heresy.

I am still baffled by how the question of divorce is supposed to be equivalent to polygamy. I understand that from the beginning it was not intended for man to divorce his wife, that Adam only had one wife, but I fail to see how that has anything whatsoever to do with polygyny. What would these folks do with the parable of the virgins, or supposed bridesmaids? Who then is to be wed, and why is the bridegroom coming for these supposed bridesmaids? How can one look at the OT pattern for patriachy and then deny the households of Abraham, Jacob/Israel, David,Gideon, etc. I am equally confounded at earlier confessions such as the London Baptist Confession of 1689 which demands monogamy only, and this in light of Luther and other men of that day's acceptance of plural marriage. I can see the argument that monogamy may be better (don't agree, but I see the point especially from those who have no experience from which to draw on the issue practically) but to condemn a practice due to ignorance and spit on the children of Israel, or at least deny the validity of half of them, seems to be willful ignorance at best.

In Ruth 4 Boaz gives a benediction at the meeting with the elders. This benediction is the only place in all of scripture that gives praise and credit to someone for building the house of Israel. It credits 2 directly and 2 indirectly. That would be Rachel and Leah and their hand maids. My former pastor said nowhere in scripture is PM said to be exemplary. This sounds exemplary to me. Btw it seemed to me that this very benediction was common by the way he presented it. After a little study I found it had been repeated as an exemplary benediction for millenniums.

Back